Thread: hi I am new page

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I have been diagnosed with celiacs and decided to go back to low glycemic and in searching for info found this site! I love it! it looks very do-able. I ordered the book today. I have 40 pds to lose. I go to the gym 7 x a week(day and night classes on same day) and will not lose weight!! so I am hoping this will help me. I am 47 and a Domestic Goddess.

next ? how do I add my picture and things and do my profile?

I leave for the Oregon coast tomorrow but will be back in a week, I am planning on eating low glycemic and taking my weights..........I am so excited to read the book! xoxox Darlene

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Welcome aboard, Darlene.

I think a number of us would question working out seven days a week, twice a day. Wow! Surely, your body is in "keep the fat, too much work going on" mode.

If your goal is to lose weight, exercise moderately a couple of times a week. No cardios, no enduros.

Others here may feel differently, but I think there is a consensus on over-exercising being counterproductive to weight loss.

well I signed up for a bootcamp class and I love it

and it is on Tue and thur nights but I don't want to miss my fav daytime classes

no cardio? I don't think 40 pds will not just go away with no cardio. I think the book will be my guideline(haven't got it or read it yet just read the site) and will have to do things that I love that work for me. so ummmmmmmm wow well that isn't going to work for me, I plan to keep up my cardio and I am going to start running soon.

why no cardio?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

It's really hard to get out of that "I must exercise" mindset, especially when trying to lose weight. I'm battling the cardio cravings a lot lately.

Like learning to embrace fat, learning to embrace not exercising takes some time and some adjustment. It's like reversing brainwashing. Slow down and relax. Your body will unclench and start letting go of the fat.

Excessive cardio puts stress on the body, and the stress hormones tell your body to hold on to fat. I had the worst time trying to lose weight when I was running regularly. Letting up, walking more and doing slow, deliberate cardio is much more effective. Walking is fantastic exercise for weight loss.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

A good explanation, Diana!

I think walking briskly two hours a week will get you all the benefits walking gives w/o putting the body on "Save the Fat!" alert.

PG, the reason you can't lose weight when doing a lot of exercise is that your body thinks it needs to hang onto the fat for survival since your calorie needs are much higher.

well I wasn't losing any weight when I wasn't working out either. dr said with my thyroid I need to do cardio, I see a naturopath. I am on armour but sometimes it is very difficult to lose any weight with a thyroid disorder.

I will keep trying

I am sure I will understand more once I read the book! xxoxox Darlene

erstad17 is offline Junior Member

Hi DG - Where in Washington are you located? We are going to have a BBQ/Meet-up 8/22 in Seattle and would love for you to come. If interested, email me at grokinseattle@yahoo.com. Have fun in Oregon!

Tigerllo is offline Junior Member

Not that this will work for everyone, but here is my experience. In 2008, I did a fitness contest at my gym and I worked with a trainer. I did 45 minutes of cardio, 6 days a week, plus an hour of circuit weight training 4 days a week. I was eating about 1000 calories a day with almost no carbs. In 12 weeks I went from 27% bodyfat to 20%. Sad to say, but due to a lot of traveling I was right back where I started this year and I did the contest again. This time I worked with a different trainer. In 12 weeks I went from 27% to 19%. The difference? I ate primal, more calories and I did very intense weight training for 10 MINUTES PER WEEK. And, on top of that, last year everyone told me I looked sick. Exactly the same weight this year but I did not get a single comment. What does that say about the value of cardio? Primal training and eating are the only way to go.

Katt is offline Senior Member

Hi Primal Goddess. I, too, have low thyroid and am Gluten intolerant, though not Celiacs. Honestly, you can lose weight without all the Cardio when you go low carb. I've lost a fairly steady two pounds a week for the last two months. I do very little cardio and only weight train 2-3 times a week when I feel like it.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

primalmom is offline Member

ditto what Katt said - I am 43, have been hypo for 9 years - take Armour - gluten-intolerant ... I have done it all, from lots of cardio to almost none - the most success finally came with low-carb, low cardio, and 3-4 days of heavy lifting ... what cardio I do is high-intensity, low volume ... BTW I am 5'6" and @120 .. When my youngest was born 3 yrs ago, I was around 155 post-partum ... this stuff works PG !!!

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com