Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Carb Limbo: Help me out of this hellhole page

NothingLasts is offline Member

Thumbs down Low Carb Limbo: Help me out of this hellhole

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks to ChocoTaco and a few others, i've decided to back away from pursuing nutritional ketosis. I'm a 25 year old active male 5'8/155pounds/15% BF, three weeks in of eating a 40g total/20g net carb and very high fat diet, and though I appreciate what it's done for appetite suppression I'm really dragging and becoming quite irritable/antisocial toward others. I do light gymnastics skill work and kettlebells almost daily along with Mark's LHT/sprinting protocol twice a week. Because of my activity level, I think i'm stuck in some sort of low carb limbo.

Today I upped the total carbs to 75g and I already feel better. Though I'm no longer interested in ketosis, I very much would like to remain low carb to reap its fat burning benefits and the effect its had on my physique (less bloating). I plan on continuing to get all my carbs from green leafy and other non starchy vegetables (no fruit as it causes me to binge) at under 100 grams per day, except for 2 post workout (LHT) meals a week during which I will bang down a couple large sweet potatoes and a lean steak. The rest of the week will be high fat low carb at around 65F/15C/20P.

So I ask:

Would you expect that I can maintain leanness without all the bloating at sub 100 grams carbs a day? And does this level of carb intake still have appetite suppressing effects for most, or is that only for VLC?

for an idea of where I am:
    I would like to lose a bit more abdominal fat, maybe gain a little more muscle mass but not too much

2013-08-20 15.33.13.jpg

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NothingLasts View Post
    So I ask:
    Would you expect that I can maintain leanness without all the bloating at sub 100 grams carbs a day? And does this level of carb intake still have appetite suppressing effects for most, or is that only for VLC?
    Yes and yes, as long as you don't go overboard with a crap load of oils and fatty cheese etc...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Do carbs from leafy greens even count?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

I don't do dairy, but I do cook with quite a bit of grass fed butter/coconut oil/tallow/lard. I'm guessing around 8 tablespoons (between all of them) per day, and at a roughly 2700 cal/day it works out to about 65% fat.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Straight forward no bullshit:

"DIET: People constantly ask me what are my thoughts here. Well, it is known I've been following a Paleo diet for over 14 years now, while maintaining a sub 7% BF, high levels of intense activity daily and abilities that speak for themselves. I will try to give you something important: the most important principle of nutrition EVER - the FTF principle. First Things First (FTF) means I would be cautious to play around, tinker and philosophize on things that are actually... Beyond my current reach. Thats where most people 'shit the bed', IMO. Example: latest crazes with Paleo folks - discovering the damage of fructose and hence eliminating fruits all together, discovering the problems with omega-6 consumption and hence eliminating nuts and seeds all together and more... While these folks are looking through a straw at those food groups and eliminating them, they are actually falling into bigger problems due to the lack of variety, limitation, boredom and other factors. One needs to realize what he can play with and what he cannot. I've been eating fruits post work for the last 14 years and I do consume nuts and seeds in limited amounts. Trying to eliminate those things may look like the right choice for me in the short term, but I will soon feel the need to replace those elements with... worse things. So? Be humble. Play and tinker with what is within your capabilities. Eating a certain way is hard enough as it is. As we discover that EVERYTHING around us poses a certain threat and problem, we have to make the BEST and LEAST WORSE choices. Oh, BTW, think twice about replying unless you feel, look and perform like me. I believe words mean shit without action and action leads to results." - Ido Portal

If that wasn't so damn long I'd make it my sig.

More from him here http://30bananasadaysucks.com/2012/0...5-years-paleo/
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-22-2013 at 05:21 PM.

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting I am in the same place as you. I eat low carb on non workout days and days like today I had a 1lb sweet potato with my 3 eggs in 1tbsp of butter. Once I implemented 50-90 grams of carbs PWO my ability to work harder is drasticly improved vs. VLC under 20gs a day.

Neckhammer, thanks for that...very cool. I was just inspired to do a few handstands after watching this video: Ido Portal on Paleo Diet, CrossFit, Gymnastics, Motivation, Movement & More - RawBrahs - YouTube

paint, I think you've got the right idea.
    Do you think it's necessary to go lower fat for the rest of the day, or just for the PWO refeed meal? I'm thinking to keep everything exactly the way it is, moderately low carb with under 100g a day, and then just twice a week do a refeed meal of a couple sweet potatoes and lean meat. I am after all only doing LHT bodyweight training, not anything crazy in the gym with massive barbells...a 250g refeed might be a bit over the top

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    If i weighed 155 lbs at 5'8 I'd be eating ever safe carb, animal fat, and animal protein I could find. But that's neither here nor there. If you want to stay high fat low carb most of the time, but eat more starches pre-and post-workout, make those 2 meals low fat and your abs should shine through for all to see. Bask in their glow if you must.

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    I change nothing when I eat my sweet potato I add butter to the top. Since I started eating a small amount of carbs my recovery is so fast its amazing. If you are doing a big refeed say around 200g I would eat low fat that day. I don't do refeeds but I am considering trying them once in a while. It has become evident that I am going to have to eat a lot more calories to gain weight so that's what I'm gonna do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast