Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you stretch? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Do you stretch?

One of my many jobs is "Yoga Teacher", and for many years that was my only form of fitness. Then I started working out

But, because I do yoga regularly, I never bother stretching after my workouts.

I know it apparently speeds circulation to joints and tissues and helps removal of unwanted waste products, thus reducing muscle soreness... but I never get sore after working out - even if I push myself to failure.

But am I missing out by not stretching out after lifting etc? I've read that it helps your muscles grow, but not sure if that's a myth? What's your N=1 been?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    I try to stretch post-workout. Seems to help me retain some flexibility, doesn't seem to affect muscle soreness one way or another though.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I don't stretch for preparation of my workouts or even after them.....

But I'm going to yoga tonight. I don't really do yoga to stretch though. Its more for the moving meditation aspect.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Why do you do yoga NH? (at the risk of derailing my own thread )

Just read this article on Runner's World which is anti-stretching... Should I Stretch Before or After My Runs? | Runner's World

There is no evidence that static stretching prevents injury or improves performance, experts now say. In fact there’s some evidence that it can hurt. When it comes to staying injury-free, functional range of motion is more important than flexibility.
    They reckon "dynamic stretching" is better. I actually agree with them, but they don't offer a scientific explanation as to why tis is...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I do. Not a lot, but for a few minutes I stretch post workout. I hope my legs grow an inch or so longer by being religious about stretching
    I never get muscle soreness anymore though, either way.

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    For bootcamp which I do 3-4 times a week we always do some form of dynamic stretch pre workout and then static stretching post workout

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Why do you do yoga NH? (at the risk of derailing my own thread )
    Well like I said meditation in motion really. Sitting quietly and attempting to meditate doesn't quite suit me. So focusing on the breath in conjunction with movement really quiets my mind much better.

Liam is offline Member
    I prefer not stretching. I seem to get worse doms and more niggles when I do. I do Crossfit 3 times week.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    i don't stretch before or after

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm an ice hockey goalie in a rec league. Darn tootin' I stretch. On days I'm not on the ice, I stretch after my workout when the muscles are nice and warm. Mostly static stretching. When I play hockey, I warm up, then do dynamic stretching. In theory, I stretch after the game too, but really I just drink beer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast