Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you stretch? page 2

colobb is offline Junior Member
    stretching is like doing bicep curls instead of chin-ups. My view on flexibility has changes dramatically after reading 'Becoming a Supple Leopard'. It gives a unique perspective on our horrible posture and mobility of modern people. He focuses on poses that mobilize joints not specific muscles. Some are very similar to yoga, but more directed towards peoples postural disfunction's.

MobilityWOD | All human beings should be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves.

Alexis47 is offline Member
    I don't stretch before or after workouts, but I will do yoga on occasion (aka too sore to do anything on my usual activity days, or a bit after meditation if I feel like it). I find that for me, stretching before workouts lowers my capabilities during the workout just a bit, and stretching after makes my muscles feel weird in a bad way, unlike yoga which makes them feel weird in a good way (if that makes any sense whatsoever).

diene is offline Senior Member
    I definitely stretch after workouts. Not every single time, but I try. Stretching is no longer "in." The thing to do now is mobility exercises a la Kelly Starrett. But I still stretch. I love how it feels, and it definitely helps with the soreness/stiffness. Well, I'm not sure if it really helps with the soreness, but it definitely reduces stiffness. Plus, it just feels really good.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I stretch because I like mobility. I like to be able to easily pick up something off the floor. But I like to be able to inspect that thing on the floor up close before I decide whether I'm going to pick it up with my fingers or it looks like I will need to use a paper towel. I like to be able to twist around and see behind me easily when I'm backing up my vehicle. I like being able to take down things from the same high shelves I started putting them on 20 years ago. All of these things are easier to do when I stretch regularly.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I stretch everywhere, in between sets in the gym, with weights in many exercises like flies or Romanian deads, I stretch in the shower and even on waking up in my bed! Stretching keep the tendons flexible and strong, so it is indeed important especially after the age of thirty…
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I used to stretch, but then my joints moved too far and I hurt myself doing simple things like walking too fast. So I quit. Better now.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by colobb View Post
    stretching is like doing bicep curls instead of chin-ups.
    Uh, no. I have no problem with mobility as well as stretching, and foam rolling etc is part of my routine, but there are plenty of reasons to stretch, especially if you have a sports-specific reason to do so. Mobility is great, but if my muscles are tight when I hit the ice, I'll tear something.

colobb is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    Uh, no. I have no problem with mobility as well as stretching, and foam rolling etc is part of my routine, but there are plenty of reasons to stretch, especially if you have a sports-specific reason to do so. Mobility is great, but if my muscles are tight when I hit the ice, I'll tear something.
    Thats where a dynamic (sport specific) warmup comes in. Stretching, or even a ton of mobility prior to working out or sports isn't the best idea, unless there is a glaring mobility disfunction.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Ya know I just stated that I don't "stretch", but I suppose thats not completely correct. I do spend a few minutes a day in the squat (grok squat if you like), and yes this is to stretch. I also randomly lean way back in my chair while spreading my arms wide and breathing deep. All manners of movements that I don't call "stretching" because its not a 3x/each side hold for a ten count maneuver.... but it is stretching. So I'd like to change my answer. Yes I stretch everyday several times a day and I do yoga 1-2x/week and I practice full ROM lifts on both machines and with freeweights 2x/week. There. That seems a bit more accurate

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ya know I just stated that I don't "stretch", but I suppose thats not completely correct. I do spend a few minutes a day in the squat (grok squat if you like), and yes this is to stretch. I also randomly lean way back in my chair while spreading my arms wide and breathing deep. All manners of movements that I don't call "stretching" because its not a 3x/each side hold for a ten count maneuver.... but it is stretching. So I'd like to change my answer. Yes I stretch everyday several times a day and I do yoga 1-2x/week and I practice full ROM lifts on both machines and with freeweights 2x/week. There. That seems a bit more accurate
    Snap, yeah - I do those too. I guess they technically are stretches! I also hang after my chin-ups sometimes.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast