Thread: Eat when hungry til full/not enough? page

Kris T is offline Senior Member

Eat when hungry til full/not enough?

Shop Now
    So for the last few days I am only eating when I am hungry, and only eating until I am full. I have had energy, and am feeling good, but am worried I am not eating enough. Have not had any cravings or withdrawls from grains/sugar.

I was reading in the forums about someone who ate 100g protein and 50g carbs a day and lost 100 pounds in 4 months and that got me curious about how much I am currently eating. I found a nutrition counter that lists full labels online and figured out the amounts of what I have been consuming.

Example of today's meals

5am - 3 scrambled eggs 19.8g protein - 1/2g carbs
    1 slice bacon 2g protein - 0 carbs
    1/2 cup cantaloupe .25g protein - .5g carbs

11am - 10 macadamia nuts 2.2g protein - 3.9g carbs

2pm - 1/4 pound ground hamburger 19.3g protein - 0g carbs
    1 slice muenster cheese 5g protein - 1g carbs
    1 sliced zucchini .3g protein - .3g carbs

Totals - 49.1g protein - 10.9g carbs

This is about the same as I ate yesterday. My worry is that I am not eating enough, and what I should eat. I don't drink coffee, and never drink soft drinks or juices. Rarely have a little alcohol, but mainly on special occasions.

I go to bed around 7pm and am up at around 3.30am. It is just how my body works. Have been keeping this schedule basically for the last 10+ years.

At some point is my body going to crash, or am I going to get hungrier???

Need some advice. Thanks in advance.
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I think you'll get hungrier. You're eating good foods and from your signature, it looks like you only started eating this way a little while ago. To me, your day is missing a meal.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris T View Post

5am - 3 scrambled eggs 19.8g protein - 1/2g carbs
    1 slice bacon 2g protein - 0 carbs

11am - 10 macadamia nuts 2.2g protein - 3.9g carbs

2pm - 1/4 pound ground hamburger 19.3g protein - 0g carbs
    1 slice muenster cheese 5g protein - 1g carbs
    1 sliced zucchini .3g protein - .3g carbs

Totals - 49.1g protein - 10.9g carbs

There is something off about the carb numbers. 1/2 cup cantaloupe has more carbs than an egg (or three eggs), even if you are doing net carbs. The zucchini number also seems low, unless it is one slice vs. a whole zucchini cut in slices.

I sometimes have a problem where I only need to eat a little, and I'm still sated hours later. But then my brain starts to feel fuzzy, and I'll feel tired or cold, and that's when I know that I need to eat again. That doesn't look like enough food for me, but if you're doing OK on it...

namelesswonder - I am thinking I will add a meal later in the day. Does seem like too little. I just started Monday, so today is my 4th day. Time will certainly tell if I am not eating enough. I was just wondering if this is too low of an amount.

dulcimina - the protein/carb amounts I got off a site on the internet. Not sure how completely accurate they are. Do you know of a better site for getting that information? So far I feel ok. I have a tendency to go to extremes and I don't want to do this here. I am trying to listen to my hunger telling me when to eat, but am struggling a bit with it. I haven't been weak or feeling like I am going to pass out like I used to when I was eating carbs/grains/dairy every 2-3 hours all day long.
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

SteveRB is offline Junior Member
    1 cup of cantaloupe (probably my favorite fruit) is 15 carbs.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I think you're doing great. The food is all primal and will nourish you. You probably have some weight to lose so the body is making up the difference by burning your own stores. You have energy and are feeling great. For now. It probably won't last because you really aren't eating very much. Then you will know it is time to add an extra meal or whatever, still from good primal choices. Meanwhile you have learned to overcome those cravings that cause us to eat badly and too much. Welcome and keep up the good work.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    youre quoting my stats
    if its not enough youre going to get hungry,crash,feel like crap and pig out. if it is you wont. i think you need to add in a bit more protein if you can-that figure really is low
    what i will say though unless you have a lot of weight to lose its unlikely to be sustainable and is unlikely to be beneficial.
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 08-22-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris T View Post
    At some point is my body going to crash, or am I going to get hungrier???

Some signs you are not eating enough: hunger, lethargy, depression.

If you notice them, maybe tweak your food intake up.

Have fun with your n=1.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

On Monday I weighed in at 205 so I do have some to lose. I did forget to add that today I went on a 1 1/2 hr brisk walk with my dog, and then spent 5 hours shoveling/sifting/moving gravel at my daughters house. I came home when I started to feel hungry and had lunch. The rest of the day has been doing bills and balances, so no as much activity.

I think one of my fears is overdoing it with eating. Like I said earlier, I am trying to focus on eating when hungry and not every 2-3 hrs like before. Sometimes it is hard to know if I am hungry, or just programmed to eat like I did before.

I appreciate all the input. Over time, I hope this all works itself out. Maybe I will go eat some meat....
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I can go a while with really low calories, just not really thinking bout it.... then I'll just have a pig out day out of nowhere..... Kind of naturally levels itself out for me.