Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck and Frustrated Journal page

lynelle135 is offline Member

Stuck and Frustrated Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I've been committed to the primal lifestyle for about three weeks now. It wasn't hard for me as I'd given up gluten and dairy years ago but I was still eating rice and potatoes and not enough good fats.

Unfortunately, I've seen no real difference in the scale in the past three weeks. I keep losing and regaining the same 2 pounds. I'm a 5'10" female and currently averaging 168. My goal is 150. Eighteen pounds shouldn't be so difficult but it is. I must also add that I'm African-American with a family history of diabetes. My blood pressure and cholesterol are good; it's just the extra weight that I don't want.

Of course, I've been trying to self-diagnose what I've been doing wrong. I currently eat a banana in the morning and another piece of fruit later in the day. Maybe I need to cut out all fruit. Apparently my body can't tolerate the sugar at all. I also eat dinner rather late and snack on too many almonds. So there's some room for improvement but I'm not sure it can explain the stagnation I've been experiencing.

But I'll stick with primal and see. I remember hitting my goal weight a few years back after eliminating all sugar which I believe included fruit. I walk the recommended 2-3 hours per week, lift heavy at least twice a week, and sprint once per week.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Hi Lynelle.

Eighteen pounds is difficult because you're so close to your goal weight. The difference between your current weight and your goal weight might be a mere 100 calories per day.

For some, especially if they arrive here with serious health problems or 100+ pounds overweight, just decreasing the amount of carbs they eat by ditching grains drastically reduces the number of calories they eat and so in the beginning, it seems as if they're losing weight effortlessly.

You're ahead of the game in that you remember hitting your goal weight as an adult, and remember what you were doing when you were there. If you can replicate that in the context of Primal, you'll be there in a few months to half a year.

Nuts are incredibly fat and calorie dense - pretty much second to pure fats like butter, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. I'm not sure that they should be a part of a weight loss protocol. Also, they have the disadvantage of being a snack type of food. It's just too easy to go for a few and then eat 500 calories worth. A quarter cup of nuts can have between 150 and 180 calories, the same as 4-5 oz of 95/5 ground beef. I see nuts as more of an issue than fruit. (But that's just me - what works for me may not work for you.)

Primal is good. But losing weight is tough. And losing the last 20 pounds can be the toughest. Hang in there, eat healthy/primal, and keep the faith. You'll get there.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Thanks Joanie. I'll try to back off the nuts and see what happens. I'm still highly suspicious of fruit though.

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    Hi-- +++ to what JoanieL said. I was in the same situation as you are now, and just ignored the scale and worked on body fat. Ditch the nuts--I still eat pistachios, but only a few (maybe 10) on my salads. I don't eat fruit--and REALLY watch the sweets. Just be patient. Sleep and watch the stress. You'll get there...

Ariana30 is offline Senior Member
    I've only lost 3 lbs and its been a month. My hips and waist are slimmer though. I am slooowly loosing lbs. I'm happy as long as there's progress. I recently decided to reverse the slow gaining of weight that started this year. Best wishes!!

Ariana30 is offline Senior Member
    That's if you think a gain of 12 lbs in 8 months is slow. What I mean is its been slow loosing the weight I put on in just a couple of months.

Ariana and Joyous,
    Thanks for sharing. It gives me encouragement to know that others are losing weight as slowly as I am.

Weighed in this morning and still nothing budging on the scale. Stuck at 168. I've given up my one banana in the morning thinking that was a trigger for weight gain. So far it hasn't paid off.

The number on the scale convinced me to try my first ever hot yoga class today. The instructor mentioned that the class would be beneficial to remove toxins. We'll see.

Scale says 168 yet again today. It's like a sick joke. I thought at least after 90 minutes of hot yoga yesterday, I would have sweated off at least one measly pound.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lynelle135 View Post
    Thanks Joanie. I'll try to back off the nuts and see what happens. I'm still highly suspicious of fruit though.
    what would make you suspicious of fruit? i'd eliminate the almonds before i'd go after the fruit. nuts aren't all they are cracked up to be. and besides that they are extremely calorie/fat dense. i'm betting that the nuts are at least part of the problem.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast