Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Ladies...what is up with Aunt Flo??!?!? page

little12 is offline Member

Primal Ladies...what is up with Aunt Flo??!?!?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I started primal back in July. It's been about a month and a half now I'd say. My diet wasn't awful before, but I def had some tweaking I needed to do. Other than a few days of being starving, it wasn't too painful of a transition. Until it was that time of the month...

I'm going to lay it out for you: Started off pretty normal with some spotting the day before. Usually I have 2 or 3 days of spotting though. This was 1 day maybe and then BAM...full on. And when it started, it was way more intense cramps than I've had in a long long time. They lasted two days!!! The only way I was able to go to work was taking ibuprofen consistently. I didn't know what else to do! Before, my cramps would be failry mild (nothing that would double me over) and they'd last half a day max. Yes, I was lucky.

My normal length: about 3-4 days long. Heavier on the first day and then lightens up progressively until nothing. This time: 6 days long and was heavy for 3 days with super cramps for 2 of them.

The most bothersome part to me was after it was over. Over the next week (after my period was over), I had 3 different times where I would get double-over intense sudden cramping in my abdomen all around to my lower back. The first time, it woke me up in the middle of the night! It lasts about 10 minutes and kind of lightens up/goes away after. Kind of freaked me out!!!!

Has anyone else had those cramps??

I expected my cycle to change a little...just like any time you make lifestyle changes. I didn't expect it to double though and feel worse!

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Hi little12!

What have you changed in your diet?
    Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

-cut out grains
    -cut out most dairy (except greek yogurt occasional and high quality cheese)
    -upped protein (I wasn't getting nearly enough)
    -staying less than 100g carbs (for now while i'm trying to lose)
    -starting tracking on sparkpeople
    -limiting fruit
    -trying to cut out caffeine...trying

I have been very stressed, but that's been pretty much all summer so it's not new. I have a very busy job right now (architecture), trying to sell my house, getting married in december, and trying to study for additional licensure. Sooooo yeah. But like I said, this is nothing new...I've been at this level of stress since April probably.

Well, I'm no expert, far from it but what I can see is you are making good choices.
    Upping protein and lowering carbs could be a trigger. Depending on the protein, sometimes red meat will trigger cramps. Also, lower carb may do wonders for your cycle or not. Those are the two things I see from your diet that could have caused more pain. Are you eating more red meat? If you upped your protein with fish/poultry, then the concern could be lower carbs.

Def more red meat than I did before. I went from maybe 2 red meat meals a week to probably more like 4. And larger quantities of it also to up my protein. I know i'm not going over on protein, but maybe you're right on the red meat! I wonder if I cut it down or out right before AF if that will help?? I'd hate to just eat poultry for a week and a half though

If you Google red meat and menstrual cramps you will find lots of info like this:

Red meat contains substances known as arachadonic acids. According to an article on the "Fitness Magazine" website, arachadonic acids have been linked to the stimulation of prostaglandins, the chemicals that cause menstrual cramps.
    From Livestrong.com

I remember reading something about not eating it the week before. Fish/poultry/eggs could be a better choice during that week. In my own opinion, if it keeps you from getting cramps, it' worth it. I'm making big changes/sacrifices for the sake of not having insane cramps every month. I had to go low carb and I'm a total carb lover/addict. Not easy, but I have a refeed every week so I get my fix. The rewards are greater than what I had to give up.
    You'll have to try and see.

diene is offline Senior Member
    My guess is that your cramping is unrelated to your dietary changes. It's probably just coincidence. It's likely that something else is causing your cramps to worsen. I wouldn't worry about it unless it persists. If it's just as bad next month, or if you keep getting cramps while you're not on your period, then you should see a gynecologist. Various things can cause menstrual cramps to worsen. For example, uterine fibroids.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    You have external stresses, and then you 'stressed' your body by making sudden, drastic dietary changes. I would chalk it up to coincidence, unless the pattern continues the same or worse for 3-4 months straight.

My periods are pretty predictable to a point, but no 2 are alike -- more or less painful, more or less flow -- so I wouldn't panic about any outstanding symptoms unless it became a pattern.

Get lots of sleep, fluids, magnesium (muscle cramps), and good fats. And take that ibuprofen in anticipation of the cramps. Dont' wait for them to become unbearable.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Leida is offline Senior Member
    How's you digestion? If your stool is harder and super-thick or pelleted looking you might want to increase your liquids & cooked vegetable intake, increase fat a little and cut the proteins back.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    This was a really good thread going a few days ago about hormonal changes on primal. Hope it helps! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread92943.html
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast