Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breakfast... smoothie with fruit good or not good for weight loss (newbe) page

Eric_S is offline Junior Member

Breakfast... smoothie with fruit good or not good for weight loss (newbe)

Primal Fuel
    Sorry if this has been covered (and I am sure it has) but I am a newbe and couldn't find it anywhere.

I don't normally give myself a lot of time to make breakfast in the morning so I will usually just make a smoothie in my magic bullet that has; coconut mil, strawberries, 1/2 banana, vanilla, cinnamon, spinach, 2 eggs, & ice because I can whip it up in about 2 minutes and then run out the door.

I have about 95lbs to lose and am just starting today (277lbs and just saw a photo of me with my wife and daughter by the pool and realized how bad it has gotten). I am concerned that even though that breakfast would be primal (I think anyway right?) that it may be a huge spike in blood sugar because of the fruit.

Would it be better to not eat breakfast at all over that breakfast?

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    For weight loss it's probably not ideal. What about making food the night before?

Sent via F-22 Raptor

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_S View Post
    Would it be better to not eat breakfast at all over that breakfast?
    Hello, that's what I have been doing for a long time: 2 cups of black coffee, glass of water, and ready to go (after I ditched the croissants which I had with my coffee before turning wheat free that is ).
    I can only recommend you try without breakfast at all. It may feel weird at the beginning if you are not used to it, but you won't regret. All you will do is prolong the fasting time and rely more on your fat stores because insulin will be at its basal level.
    Last edited by FrenchFry; 08-22-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    What about making food the night before?

Sent via F-22 Raptor
    I can do that, I would probably make egg "cupcakes", that smoothie is what I do currently though and I wouldn't have to change my breakfasts at all if that was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    I can only recommend you try without breakfast at all. It may feel weird at the beginning if you are used to it, but you won't regret.
    My concern is that if I don't eat breakfast then I will crash late morning or stuff myself at lunch because I am so hungry. should I not be concerned about that?

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_S View Post
    My concern is that if I don't eat breakfast then I will crash late morning or stuff myself at lunch because I am so hungry. should I not be concerned about that?
    Yes, go slowly then, push your breakfast later and later so your hunger signal gets retuned. There's a poster in these forums who wrote about it, don't remember his name.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    If you're hungry, it's generally wise to eat! Egg muffins are a great idea. You can make them ahead of time for several day's worth or a full week of breakfasts. For me, personally, starting my day off with some protein is key to not ending up ravenous later.

You'll only know if you crash in the morning without food if you try it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

little12 is offline Member
    I don't think a smoothie is a bad idea at all. There are lots of things you can do for breakfast...or you can skip breakfast. That works for some people and does not work for others.

I'd make a few tweaks to your smoothie though. I'd cut out one of the fruits and add more protein in there. You could do some greek yogurt (if you're ok with dairy). OR do a bit of almond butter for some protein and fats. Lots of options....but I'd def cut out one of the fruits.

Also, I freeze my fruit specifically so I don't have to add ice. I feel like it makes it smoother...

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    coconut mil, strawberries, 1/2 banana, vanilla, cinnamon, spinach, 2 eggs, & ice because I can whip it up in about 2 minutes and then run out the door.
    IMO, that's a pretty decent mix- you got 2 eggs and spinach, plus coconut milk (full fat?). Maybe drop the banana if you think the carbs are too high. But otherwise you are having a pretty standard primal breakfast, just all uncooked. The key is that you acknowledge it as a meal and that it keeps you full.

I do smoothies when I need a big protein hit- they are usually 1/2 banana, berries, coconut milk (it's really watered down) and whey protein. Those suckers keep me full for hours, but the calorie count is significant- equal to a bacon and eggs breakfast and not quite as satisfying.

I'm a huge fan of breakfast and wake up ready to eat. If you are hungry, eat a breakfast. Put fat and protein in it. If you are trying to stay lower carb, maybe make that your fruit for the day. At any rate, your smoothie sure as hell is better then caving to a doughnut, bagel, crappy coffee drink or just feeling like crap at 10:00 am.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, do you lose weight with this breakfast and feel good? If yes, do not worry about anything else. If you are not sure...

I am with magnolia. Frozen berries will thicken it as good as a banana, if you chose to make a high fat smoothie.

If you want a banana, I would go banana and egg whites, in other words, LF/High carb.

If you want an extreme protein smoothie, nix fruit and go for tuna instead of fruit.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-22-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast