Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Breakfast... smoothie with fruit good or not good for weight loss (newbe) page 4

little12 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Koobs View Post
    I don't think smoothies are a good choice for weight loss. You can pack so many calories into the things and they are very easy to drink. Then you are hungry again in an hour or two. The only time I ever turn to smoothies is when I want to GAIN weight. It's the easiest way to add a couple thousand calories to your daily intake without really even noticing. If you want to lose weight loading up on veggies in all of your meals is a far better and easier approach than drinking a smoothie.

I guess it depends on the person and the smoothie then! You can absolutely make a smoothie full of calories and too much of everything. But it 100% does not have to be like that!! If you pay attention to what you're putting in it, and what it all totals to, then you'll be fine. Make sure you have plenty of protein in it.

I think how soon you get hungry also depends on what you put in it. Just like everything else, there isn't just one way. The ones I make keep me feeling good from breakfast at 8am till noon.

Just pay attention to what you put in it and find out what makes it up---how many carbs, protein, fat, etc

L0kI is offline Senior Member
    I've had some decent results over the past 2 months just going with two pieces of bacon, chopped up to bits (night before) with 2 eggs scrambled in... It literally takes 5 mins and I cook/eat it while getting ready. It's very satisfying ... AND, one other point - I've been finding that when I eat fruit in the morning I'm hungry much sooner than if I don't eat it... Even is I take the existing bacon and eggs and add a banana to my breakie, that makes me hungry SOONER! By adding food... So weird. So now I'm trying to keep my carbs for later in the day and then I don't need to deprive myself of a potato at dinner or a nice bowl of berries and whipped cream after dinner (or both!). Anyway, I'm female and 31, if that helps with context.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I can say, just from my experience, that smoothies in the morning are okay. I would use almond milk or just regular milk rather than coconut milk, though. So far I've lost 100 lbs.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Drinking calories in general are not all that congruent with weight loss.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think that issues with smoothies making people fat is user error. Absolutely if you make a 700 calorie smoothie and think of it as a drink or light snack, that is a bad idea. It's a meal. I know the exact mix of calories and macros in my regular smoothie and it's higher in protein and carbs than my usual bacon and eggs, similar calorie count. I also know it keeps me full longer.

But like everything else.... it comes down to an individual choice.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

little12 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think that issues with smoothies making people fat is user error. Absolutely if you make a 700 calorie smoothie and think of it as a drink or light snack, that is a bad idea. It's a meal. I know the exact mix of calories and macros in my regular smoothie and it's higher in protein and carbs than my usual bacon and eggs, similar calorie count. I also know it keeps me full longer.

EXACTLY. I think to saying "in general" is generally wrong It's all about what you put in it---it is just like any other meal you put together. I can say I'm having a dinner of meat, vegetable and fruit...but, guess what, some combinations are going to better or worse than others. Some are going to way higher in calories also.

Like Magnolia said, it's all individual.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    I had no idea so many people were drinking fish smoothies!

If I'm hungry in the morning I go for a cheese stick and coffee.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post

I like this. You're absolutely right. My smoothies usually come in less than 300 calories, mostly from the milk and sometimes eggs.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    If you make this smoothie, ditch the banana. Much too high in sugar for weight loss. I would recommend butternut squash - you can buy it frozen so you don't have to peel, dice and roast.

However, I do agree with others, you should try and make food the night before and take it with you the following morning. I actually love straight up protein - sauteed squid! Ha, that's the kick I am on right now... Well, that and Chicken Breast Shawarma! LOL

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiGiEats View Post
    If you make this smoothie, ditch the banana. Much too high in sugar for weight loss. I would recommend butternut squash - you can buy it frozen so you don't have to peel, dice and roast.

However, I do agree with others, you should try and make food the night before and take it with you the following morning. I actually love straight up protein - sauteed squid! Ha, that's the kick I am on right now... Well, that and Chicken Breast Shawarma! LOL
    Where do you get your information?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234