Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast... smoothie with fruit good or not good for weight loss (newbe) page 3

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I've never cooked shrimp before though, and my bf is allergic to it.
    Side note, but I think I just found a way out of your relationship woes...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. I might risk it ;-) Avocado I'm good with, and that disappears quite well (I just don't want to think about it mixed up with my fruit!).
    The worst that could happen that you'd IF that day... lol. Avoado is actually okay with fruit. It is a very neutral flavor. One thing that I can't stand though is avocado with chocolate. I tried that recipe once, avocado cacao mousse in a fit of the low carb frenzy, and gods be good, never again!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_S View Post
    My concern is that if I don't eat breakfast then I will crash late morning or stuff myself at lunch because I am so hungry. should I not be concerned about that?
    If you're going to stuff yourself, do it when you ARE hungry. Eat a big, healthy lunch! A smoothie for the sake of fending off the hunger you fear is food your body didn't ask for.

Hunger is not something to be concerned about (or feared). Learning what real hunger feels like, and learning to feed it with nutrient dense *real* food is an eye opener.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_S View Post
    I don't normally give myself a lot of time to make breakfast in the morning so I will usually just make a smoothie in my magic bullet ...
    OR you could give yourself more time to eat. You deserve it! This way of eating should not be an afterthought. Preparing, serving, eating, tasting and enjoying your food should be a conscious, purposeful and deliberate act. One significant habit you can change is not eating while you're doing anything else...driving, watching TV, reading, working, etc.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Side note, but I think I just found a way out of your relationship woes...
    Tsk, tsk, that's not a civilized way to deal with problems! Anyway, I think he just breaks out in hives when he eats it. I don't think it's an anaphylactic shock kind of allergy.

Eric_S is offline Junior Member
    Just seeing all the replies now, thank you everyone for all your help and advice.

I haven't ever even thought about not having fruit in my smoothie (and definitely never thought about tuna lol) I always used the fruit to make it taste good, without the fruit what is the taste like? I will definitely have to try the tuna fish smoothie though.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Well, do you lose weight with this breakfast and feel good? If yes, do not worry about anything else. If you are not sure...

I am with magnolia. Frozen berries will thicken it as good as a banana, if you chose to make a high fat smoothie.

If you want a banana, I would go banana and egg whites, in other words, LF/High carb.

If you want an extreme protein smoothie, nix fruit and go for tuna instead of fruit.
    Haha, I threw a small whole fish into a smoothie a few months ago, blended w/ coconut oil, berries, spirulina, yogurt, couple drop of stevia. It looked sorta gross (green) & tasted kinda funky but not bad, but it had lots of healthy, diverse fats, proteins, antioxidants in it. Haha, haven't repeated the fish in the blender smoothie bit since...

But I have made salmon head soups with cut-up blended heads with ample neck meat called collars. It was a thick grey sludge but ultimately made a quite nice, energizing soup stock, after adding water, salt & tons of root veggies & greens to the slow cooking pot.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Haha, I threw a small whole fish into a smoothie a few months ago, blended w/ coconut oil, berries, spirulina, yogurt, couple drop of stevia. It looked sorta gross (green) & tasted kinda funky but not bad, but it had lots of healthy, diverse fats, proteins, antioxidants in it. Haha, haven't repeated the fish in the blender smoothie bit since...

I love this. I probably wouldn't have thought to throw a fish in with berries, etc., but I applaud your adventurous spirit for trying to get more good protein into a smoothie.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Frozen fruit into smoothies is definately the way to go, I tend to put my bananas in the freezer if they start turning from yellow to brown. Peel them, wrap them in plastic and freeze, they also taste like ice-cream if you eat them whole.

I may draw the line at Tuna in my smoothie though! I try lots of funky stuff with the aim of being healthy and just cannot enjoy it. Bulletproof coffees (no thanks) bone broth (bearable not enjoyable) tune smoothies (not even going to go there!)

TBH I tend to shower, and dash out of the door at 6.30am clutching 3 x boiled eggs which I did a huge batch of a couple of days earlier. I eat this at my desk with a black coffee about 7.30am.

However, like everyone else says, your smoothie is better than any pancake, croissant or doughnut so Yay you
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Koobs is offline Member
    I don't think smoothies are a good choice for weight loss. You can pack so many calories into the things and they are very easy to drink. Then you are hungry again in an hour or two. The only time I ever turn to smoothies is when I want to GAIN weight. It's the easiest way to add a couple thousand calories to your daily intake without really even noticing. If you want to lose weight loading up on veggies in all of your meals is a far better and easier approach than drinking a smoothie.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast