Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: American the sick page 3

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    But still, you can get a myopic view by travelling some place as compared to living there for an extended period. Plunking down in Munich for a few weeks could lead to some views constrained by the time and place of your visit. In much the same way, I also got frustrated with the Germans I knew who had been to San Francisco and LA and thought they knew it all about California.
    Perhaps true of Germany but I have lived and worked in Egypt for 4 years now. While they are catching up to the USA, you still don't see as many obese people as you to in the US. Part of the reason why they are catching up is because the US fast-foods and processed foods are heavily marketed in Cairo at least. But out where I live, out in the middle of nowhere, there is a Pizza Hut and KFC within 10 minutes drive and the store in the resort where I live, is well stocked American processed crap.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Hahaha, lunch break? Most people I know get a lunch break that is eating at your desk while working. Employers may "give you an hour lunch break" but you'd better not use it, at least not regularly.
    I always take my legal breaks. I've never been fired for it. I can't speak to promotions because I'm of an age that I don't really give a damn about promotions.. But in this country, you are legally entitled to a 15 minute break per four hour shift, and a half hour for lunch during an eight hour shift. If you don't demand what's required by law, then you're a lackey and it's on you that your employer abuses you.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    But in this country, you are legally entitled to a 15 minute break per four hour shift, and a half hour for lunch during an eight hour shift. If you don't demand what's required by law, then you're a lackey and it's on you that your employer abuses you.
    That works if you are hourly, but when you are salaried rules change. You also lose things like overtime pay. Plus I'm in a "Right to Work State" and if you want to make too many demands it's super easy to eliminate your position.

I have a really good job though. But I know people who get salaries at engineering and architecture firms and they are just expected to produce work and if they can do it in an 8 hour day with a 15 minute break, fine, and if it takes them 12 hour days tough shit.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I don't think I'd do too well in one of those positions. I know after my internship I'm going salary, but I -think- they still push the "gtfo after 40 hrs/week". Right now I am hourly, but overtime is strongly discouraged. During briefing they stated it was very important I report all overtime accurately, but my actual boss lady has always let me do whatever it takes to not get a moment's overtime.

I don't fully disagree with that practice, though my overtime pay would be something like $23/hr...that would be pretty nice. That said, in this contract environment, it would be stylish to be a cheap employee.

We get half hour lunches, but I never take them. I've never worked for anyone who discouraged taking lunch. In fact, this is my first job where lunch half hour ISN'T paid. Subsequently, I skip lunch, stay an extra half hour and rack up a 9hr work day 4 days a week. This lets me gtfo at noon on Friday. Well worth it, and it meshes well with the new Furlough Fridays and CWS Fridays. I don't know how long that I'll be allowed to do that, though. Nobody complains, but I think technically I'm not supposed to do that as I am "Essential Personnel". I am sort of half miming CWS Friday practices, which is explicitly denied to me as EP.

I also don't really take breaks as such. If I'm not doing something and someone needs IT help, I get there fast and solve their problems ASAP. None of that waiting for help from me. If I'm not at my desk, I'm probably making tea.

M.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I always take my legal breaks. I've never been fired for it. I can't speak to promotions because I'm of an age that I don't really give a damn about promotions.. But in this country, you are legally entitled to a 15 minute break per four hour shift, and a half hour for lunch during an eight hour shift. If you don't demand what's required by law, then you're a lackey and it's on you that your employer abuses you.
    Meal and rest breaks are regulated by state labor laws. The situation is the same in my state as yours, but different in other states.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Thank you eKatherine. I guess I'm lucky to have spent most of my work life in states that don't allow slavery. Even when I was a salaried accountant, I got overtime during busy season. (And a meal stipend, though I always knew that was a company thing.)

I'd still walk. I suck at slavery. And apparently I'm good at it because even when I've quit jobs for cause, I've gotten unemployment benefits. They will only treat you with the respect you deserve if you force them to. I don't care what the current climate is.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Long vacations also weird me out, personally. I'm in a class right now where the professor is telecoming in from the west coast. He's an Australian, and when he uses employee vacation as an example for version control stuff, he keeps using phrases like "Two weeks", "three weeks", or a "month".

I cannot fathom taking a single week off! I'd be a wreck. I don't even do all that much and I'd still be nuts to get back in the hanger.

M.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Long vacations also weird me out, personally. I'm in a class right now where the professor is telecoming in from the west coast. He's an Australian, and when he uses employee vacation as an example for version control stuff, he keeps using phrases like "Two weeks", "three weeks", or a "month".

I cannot fathom taking a single week off! I'd be a wreck. I don't even do all that much and I'd still be nuts to get back in the hanger.

M.
    Americans have completely lost the ability to relax due to our puritanistic attitude about hard work being good for the soul. The issue is that without time off, you never stop working and get to recharge yourself, which is what everybody else in the world thinks is so important about vacation that it is mandated.

You might be right, but I don't think it's my puritanical attitude about hard work. I am very expendable and can be replaced, and have emotional hangups about not being "seen". I think.

Or, you could be completely right and I am so wrapped up in it that I'm not even aware.

M.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Americans have completely lost the ability to relax due to our puritanistic attitude about hard work being good for the soul.
    I think most people would LOVE to take time off but simply can't. People just expect you to be available now and being out of touch for a couple of weeks is a no go for most employers.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast