Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I'm sick of meat and don't know what else to eat... page

Paloma is offline Junior Member

Help! I'm sick of meat and don't know what else to eat...

Shop Now
    Heya all... so, I'm waiting on the books - the Primal Blueprint and the cookbook - to arrive in the mail, and in the meantime (the last two weeks since I discovered Mark's Daily Apple) I've been getting most of my calories from meat, and then just eating lots of raw and cooked non-starchy veggies.

Problem is, I'm not used to so much meat. I'm fairly active and need the calories so I can't just do salads all day long, and even nuts prolly won't suffice in the protein dept... or will they? And beans & rice are out, right? Sad news for a frijolera like myself.

My body is adjusting I guess, but in the mean time, I feel like if I eat one more slap of beef, pork, fish, chicken thigh or egg I'm just gonna barf.

Is this common? What else can I eat and still be honoring my neaderthal ancestry?
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    ~ Thomas Alva Edison

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    sick of meat? um. really? Can you cook? like, you've tried a bit of variety... baked, slow cooked with tomatoes, etc... baked chicken legs... stir-fried beef with green beans and a touch of soy (yes I know soy is evil but properly fermented shoyu occasionally...) um... coconut curry beef .. thai fish curry... scrambled eggs... plenty of traditional recipes can be adapted.

loads of recipes on the site and forum if you have a look around. Check out the banana almond pancakes.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    You can replace of of calories with coconut products and avocados and olives, dont go too overboard on nuts. Could throw in some dairy? cheese and cream? Eggs are great when you make primal pancakes etc with them as you dont feel like you're eating more eggs. I know when i jumped to primal the amount of meat was quite overwhelming so I tried to keep it to fish and chicken which were a bit easier to digest.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried organs?

Ummm tongue....
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    just echoing what everyone else has said. heavy on the avocados, coconut products, and even whey protein shakes? One of my mainstays on the run or for a quick breakfast or lunch is vanilla whey, an avocado, blended with cold coconut milk and it's super thick and creamy and satisfying. I am not a huge meat eater either, but getting much better. I also eat lots of wild salmon and shrimp, and halibut when I can get it.....

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    Just this weekend I had an AWESOME new dish: scallops half wrapped in thin slices of salmon, covered with lemon/herb butter, and grilled. DELICIOUS! I'm not even a fan of scallops, but I'm going to make this one again.

Definitely play with your preparations/condiments/spices, and maybe go for ground meats that you can "hide" for a while to change it up a bit. I also just made "taco meat" (in quotes because I really use it for salad and omlettes), which was a new and exciting beef preparation for me. I agree that just eating a slab of meat with a side vegetable can get old quickly, you've gotta shake it up sometimes. I like to make meal plans, so here are a few ideas I posted recently, maybe it'll help!

http://boundtoearth.wordpress.com/tag/meal-planning/
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Hey Helen - yeah I can cook! I'm actually a pretty fabulous cook, if i do say so meself. THe problem is just that I'm sick of flesh... ugh. But my brother says this is a normal reaction when you start to change your diet pretty drastically, so I'm just gonna wait it out. Thanks for the banana almond pancake suggestion, had them for dinner last night and breakfast this mornin and oooooooh weeeeeeee, did they hit the spot!
    ~ Thomas Alva Edison

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessGrok View Post
    heavy on the avocados, coconut products, and even whey protein shakes? .....
    Thanks Princess, the whey protein is a good one, even reminded me to separate some whey from some raw milk and make smoothies. If you add fresh strawberries to fresh whey and blend, you get this heavenly, frothy, wonderful concoction... oh lord it's good.

Can i just eat as much avacado as I like, despite trying to take off a pesky 5 lbs?

Thanks everybody, for the great suggestions, really helps!
    ~ Thomas Alva Edison

Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    You can replace of of calories with coconut products and avocados and olives, dont go too overboard on nuts. Could throw in some dairy? cheese and cream? Eggs are great when you make primal pancakes etc with them as you dont feel like you're eating more eggs. I know when i jumped to primal the amount of meat was quite overwhelming so I tried to keep it to fish and chicken which were a bit easier to digest.
    Hey brother, thanks for the advice - so, not too many nuts? is that from a weight-conscious perspective, or are there other reasons i'm not hip to?
    ~ Thomas Alva Edison

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I go through the same thing. I used to dislike meat, only eating it occasionally, it was never a focus of my diet. Instead I pigged out on carbs!

Now, I crave MEAT. Last night, as a treat I bought an angus buger from mcdonalds, my kids were getting shrek happy meals, I was practically drooling by the time I got home, thinking about that well done beef burger, with a chunk of cheddar, onions, tomato and lettuce. ONLY TO FIND THEY FORGOT THE MEAT.

I'm pretty sure I had meat rage last night. I wound up IFing for the night.

It's weird for me to feel like that towards meat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast