Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bacon and Bacon Grease page

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member

Bacon and Bacon Grease

Primal Fuel
    I just cooked up some bacon. I normally through the bacon grease away. I am wondering if you guys do this or if you keep it and cook other things with it? This is cheap, supermarket bacon, and CW says bacon and bacon grease is evil. Just wondering what you guys do.

Also, what types of bacon are healthier? Should it be organic, nitrate-free bacon? Is there such a thing as bacon made from grass-fed pork? If such things exist, where are the best places to buy it?

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Your best bet for great bacon is online or, if you can find a store that carries Applegate Farms bacon. Nitrates are pretty bad so try to avoid those. No such thing as grass fed, but you want your pre-bacon to be running around on a pasture somewhere, eating what pigs eat, which is just about everything. If I got cheap supermarket bacon, I am definitely tossing the grease. If I got well sourced bacon, I save it and cook just about anything with it later but specifically I LOVE to make eggs with bacon grease.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Thanks, this helps a lot. I will look for Applegate.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I almost never have leftover grease. It just gets eaten with whatever I cook up. If there is any, I just leave it in the pan and cool whatever I'm eating next in it.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    mason jar by the stove, then spoon some in the pan whenever i feel like making something bacony
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Are you definitely sure bacon grease isn't bad for us? CW says it is evil and I guess I am having a hard time unbrainwashing myself.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    You live in SF, California like I do. If you have a Costco card or know someone who does you can buy the Niman Ranch Bacon which is from pasture raised pigs and nitrate free for a great deal. I think normally they go for $7.99 per package but at Costco the last time I checked it was 6 packages for $30 which works out to be $5 per package. You can also buy grass fed organic ground beef, wild caught salmon, and organic chicken from Costcos all over northern California.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    I save all my bacon grease. I strain it beforehand though if I'm not going to use it later in the day.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    Are you definitely sure bacon grease isn't bad for us? CW says it is evil and I guess I am having a hard time unbrainwashing myself.
    well, i don't drink it

i think it's okay. i'm more of a butter and coconut oil kinda girl, myself, but back when i first started primal i had to get used to eating beef fat and bacon grease too. i'd been told my whole life that it was unhealthy so there were some mental hurdles to ease over

baby steps
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hello,
    It depends on the quality of the bacon and how hard you cooked it. I heard that pork fat tends to get the profile of the fats the pigs were fed so I would make sure to buy top quality bacon. I would think that beef tallow is a better cooking fat because ruminant fat is much better at keeping a reasonable profile regardless of the diet.

But that's not all in life, taste is another thing and bacon and its grease are really a nice cooking items.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast