Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bacon and Bacon Grease page 3

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    @PinkyT, CW=Conventional Wisdom, which is what magazines, newspapers, tv, dieticians & other conventional sources of information about diet, exercise, cholesterol & health et al, tell the general public what to eat to be healthy. ie "eat lots of whole grains, do cardio, restrict calories & fat & exercise your ass off to lose weight, saturated fat is evil". these type things that the general public accepts as conventional wisdom, we as a group reject 90-100% of it. The proofs in the pudding(coconut pudding?) ie general public's weight & health vs the stud muffins & weight loss, health recovery stories on MDA.

Bacon grease for the eggs that I eat w/ the bacon: check
    Bacon grease for sauteeing yummy, healthy leafy greens or spinach.
    Bacon grease wouldn't taste & feel so damn good goin down & staying down, if it wasn't good for you... hehe

@CaliforniaGirl,
    You live in SF. AppleGate bacon is not GREAT, it rates 1 out of 5, Whole Foods has local bacon that rates 5(best they have) for the same per lb price as the Applegate in bulk, packages of AppleGate are even more expensive. Niman Ranch has amazing beef, pork, organs from their Marin ranch. You can get in @ some Farmer's Mkts in SF, order it online or come out to Marin & visit the farm!! Also Marin has Sun Farms, another top quality meat/organ alternative: expensive but great. If cost is a big concern, get some hi qual bacon @ Costco & stock up, as mentioned in this thread earlier...

I eat bacon every Sat, Sun mornings, once in a while done day during the week. Or sometimes I'll even eat commercial quality bacon from restaurant salad bars, on my salad if I eat out. As it appeals to me better than other scarier, grosser looking processed meats on display. It's irrational I know, but if I'm going to eat low quality restaurant food, bacon on the salad bar makes me happiest while doin' it...

Buy high quality bacon! Compromise if you must, while eating out...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^ Yup.... All that.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    She's a witch! Burn her!
    She turned me into a newt.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i got better
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i got better
    watery tart

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    english pigdog
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

thewildirishgirl is offline Junior Member
    I use bacon grease to fry "treats" like paleo chicken tenders or zucchini fritters. EVCO and EVOO is expensive and bacon grease is a great alternative. I save the grease for these special occasions when I just need something deep fried! Sometimes my family can afford free range, organic bacon from the local Mennonites, and sometimes it's bacon from the dreaded Walmart. It's hard enough to engage in this lifestyle, so I say do the best you can with your resources.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE bacon grease for throwing into my cast-iron skillet before I cook up some scrambled eggs ... or saute some veggies ... or sear some meat. But yeah, I was kinda iffy about the quality of fat from the regular ol' bacon I made. My solution? I bought some pork skin from a pastured pig. It was CHEAP because not many people want the skin. I put it skin-side down in the smoker, and smoked it for about 4 hours at a low temp. Then into the crock-pot until every drop of fat was rendered off. The result? Creamy, wonderful, super smokey fat. It's magical. Highly recommended as an alternative if you're really worried!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    I LOVE bacon grease for throwing into my cast-iron skillet before I cook up some scrambled eggs ... or saute some veggies ... or sear some meat. But yeah, I was kinda iffy about the quality of fat from the regular ol' bacon I made. My solution? I bought some pork skin from a pastured pig. It was CHEAP because not many people want the skin. I put it skin-side down in the smoker, and smoked it for about 4 hours at a low temp. Then into the crock-pot until every drop of fat was rendered off. The result? Creamy, wonderful, super smokey fat. It's magical. Highly recommended as an alternative if you're really worried!
    OMG... that is amazing.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    You should definitely toss that bacon grease...right over to me!

I save it in a jar in the fridge, strained. So good for frying! Don't be afraid.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123