Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bacon and Bacon Grease page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm not a big fan of bacon, but the three or four times a year I buy it, I definitely save the grease. I put mine in the fridge in jar, but if you're going to use it quickly, this is unnecessary. Mostly I use it to pan cook greens.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    Are you definitely sure bacon grease isn't bad for us? CW says it is evil and I guess I am having a hard time unbrainwashing myself.
    Do some searching around the site for saturated fats. There's not a lot that CW says is right that is actually true in life. Bacon grease is not ideal because most bacon sources are not ideal, but I always use it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I'm not a big fan of bacon
    She's a witch! Burn her!

Sent via F-22 Raptor

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    She's a witch! Burn her!

Not really, but I can set up a good game of three card Tarot.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Of course you should consider the source of the bacon same as you would with butter. How do you feel about cooking with butter? To my mind it's not that different, except in flavor.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    Also, what types of bacon are healthier? Should it be organic, nitrate-free bacon? Is there such a thing as bacon made from grass-fed pork? If such things exist, where are the best places to buy it?
    I'm guessing you have nice co-ops in your city. Check the meat counter (not the boxed/wrapped meat) and the bacon there should indicate a single farm you can ask about or google on your phone--that's what I buy.

I pour the fat through a strainer into a glass jar and use it to sauté vegetables, especially things like collards or red cabbage. It also makes a good coating for oven roasted vegetables like turnips or brussels sprouts. 1 tablespoon goes a long way.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm I eat bacon with breakfast most every day and I source mine from pastured heritage pigs I am going to start collecting my fat to make a batch of fried sweet potato fries

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    I collect it and keep it in a plastic container with a screw-lid that I keep in the fridge (I don't pour it in until it's cool to the touch, obviously). I mostly use it for scrambling eggs in, but really just any kind of cooking that'd normally involve butter or some other oil, greasing pans for baking, etc..
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

leighlu is offline Member
    I agree 100 percent with finnegans wake. I am lucky enough to have a hog hunter in the family so I always have a freezer full of wild hog and there is no comparison to conventional pig. I can't even eat the stuff from the grocery store anymore.

PinkyT is offline Junior Member
    I don't live near any cool co-ops (just one overpriced specialty market), but I've been buying a Smithfield brand from Walmart that advertises no nitrates "except for the naturally occurring nitrates found in celery juice powder and sea salt." It says it's uncured & "not preserved." It does have turbinado sugar added (not exactly sure what that is), but it's not enough sugar to show up on the nutrition facts, so I'm okay with that. The package says nothing about how the pigs are raised, but I figure that it has to be better than the overly processed stuff. By the way, I'm new here, and I'm not sure what CW stands for . . . ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast