Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little bit of pain while squatting page

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member

Little bit of pain while squatting

Primal Fuel
    Today I felt some discomfort in my right hip joint (at least that's what it felt like) while squatting. I ended up reducing the weight to complete 3x5.

It wasn't a sharp pain but I noticed it. Feels sore there now when I walk. Any idea what that might be?

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I hope someone like Neckhammer shows up and has good ideas. I have the same thing in my right hip. It just seems to flare up whenever it wants.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Could be a ton of stuff. Improper warm-up, tight hip flexor, muscle...

Where on your hip?

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Feels like its on the outside (like where you might wear a holster) right at the joint.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Ditto. I get what can best be described as a dull ache in my right hip, feels approximately where the bone/socket meet. Flares up intermittently, usually for a couple weeks at a time. Hurts to sit with weight shifted onto that side, hurts to lay on that side. At times it even hurts to lay on my back, sometimes stomach sleeping is that only thing that alleviates it. The pain also gets a bit sharper when I squat, and my right knee will cave inward (lack of stability). I can also feel a "clicking" when I walk if I put my hand on my hip (doesn't happen on my left side), and if I am laying on my back and bring my right leg straight up and then lower it the hip will "pop" (also not an issue on the left side). This current flare-up is the longest that I can recall, I am going on about two months. Trying to manage it by not squatting, rowing, basically any moves that put my hip/thigh through a big range of motion. Hip hinges seem ok, I can still deadlift and swing kettlebells, I'm just cautious to not overdo it.

Some things that have been suggested as a possible cause:
    Inflammation of tissues surrounding joint, such as the labrum
    Small tear in labrum (a girl I know just had surgery for this, she had similar pain and instability)
    Femur bone not fitting exactly into socket

Ibuprofen seems to help some, which leads me to think it may be inflammation of...something. Unfortunately for me I'm currently under-insured and unemployed, so seeing a doctor about it is not feasible. Once I have good insurance again I will be seeing a doc to (hopefully) get to the root of the issue.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    Feels like its on the outside (like where you might wear a holster) right at the joint.
    Are you doing a good job of screwing your feet into the ground and keeping your knees pushed out?

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Well it's a work in progress. (So probably not well enough). Here's one deloaded set from last week:

https://vimeo.com/72563576

I was trying different shoes from my normal shoes that day. and they didn't work too well. Squishy. And you can see the left heel lift up.

Today's form felt better than what is in that video but I had to drop weight from what was planned in order to complete 3x5. Still not great.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    I can almost guarantee you that a big part of why you're having pain in either one hip or the other is because you're not squating with equal weight in your feet. The majority of use are either left or right dominant so when squating one will subconsciously shift the weight of the bar to the dominant side and your non dominant side will relax. That's a lot of extra weight for your dominant side to lift!

Prior to your working set do a very good warm up and dynamic hip openers. That will help with hip movement. Leg swings, butterfly stretch, lateral long step, Cossack squats. All these will help get the muscles activating through range of motion. If your having trouble keeping your knees out and heals down work on stretching your calves with a straight and bent knee stretch after some skipping.

Now to work on the non dominant side. With out any weight practice dropping in to the hole and really focus on your non dominant side. Hold the bottom position for a count of 3. This would be a great opportunity to shift your weight a round. Front to back open close the knees shift left shift right. Then on your way back up shift your weigh to your non dominant side and drive hard out of the hole. Really focus on the weak side and even grab your butt or leg to make sure you're using that side the most.

After that, load the bar to 50-60% and Perform and proper squat. Work up to a weight that you're no longer able to able to fire equally on both legs and that is your new working weight. Until you can equally use both legs you shouldn't be squating any heavier.

After your session do more hip opening stretches and glute stretches to increase range of motion.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Wow sorry for the misspellings. I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet

Hmm...OK I have no idea what some of these stretches are but I will look them up.

After doing some of Mark's "Grok Squats" and maybe a few minutes rowing to stretch, I have just been following the SS protocol for warmup sets, which is to do 2 sets of 5 with the empty bar, and then go up by about 25 pound or so increments doing a 5 rep set, a 3 rep set, and a 2 rep set before doing the 3 work sets of 5 reps.

Sometimes I also do a bodyweight squat or two with a PVC pipe in between sets to stretch things out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast