Thread: Does Primal help with baby brain? Let's find out! page

spughy is offline Senior Member

Does Primal help with baby brain? Let's find out!

Primal Fuel
    Well it's not just baby brain I want to improve - it's the post-baby body too. Five months ago I gave birth to a super-cute little bundle of joy and now I am a sleep-deprived puddle of goo. The worst of it is, my baby doesn't sleep that badly - I am just getting worse and worse at dealing with the wakeups. My baby will frequently sleep 5 or 6 hours at a stretch, but I rarely do. I always have to get up to go pee or I just wake up randomly.

So I'm a basket case, and I'm a basket case who craves sugar and starch. Obviously I can't eliminate all starch, I need some for breastfeeding. But I can get rid of the sugar, and make sure my starches aren't grains.

My hope is that with less sugar I'll need to pee less at night. I also hope to improve my mental capacity because I'm wanting to get part-time work sometime in the next few months. And, of course, I want to lose the pudge. I probably have 30 lbs to get rid of, but I think I'm going to focus more on a minimal waist-hip ratio rather than weight.

"Before" picture to come... today was mostly good in terms of food in that I only slipped up just before dinner when I was starving and I ate a bun. But if I'd had the veggie dip that I forgot to buy today, I would have eating my carefully prepared cut up veggies instead.

So: goals for tomorrow - no bad food, buy veggie dip (or make it, but I still need to buy cream cheese), do the initial test for the 100 pushups program.

Instead of a before picture of me, you get a picture of my cute cute baby. WAY more fun to look at.

131.jpg

Oh, and for the record if anyone cares, I'm female, 41 years old, 5'0" tall and I weigh somewhere in the neighbourhood of 160ish. I will be clearer on that when I get around to replacing the batteries on my scale.

Oh, here's a good picture of me. Recent, and shows my bulges quite nicely.

IMG_20130713_171430.jpg

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Welcome spughy. Such a cute baby!

Quote Originally Posted by spughy View Post
    I think I'm going to focus more on a minimal waist-hip ratio rather than weight.
    Good for you. That's a much better measure of health than looking at the scales.

Quote Originally Posted by spughy View Post
    "Before" picture to come... today was mostly good in terms of food in that I only slipped up just before dinner when I was starving and I ate a bun. But if I'd had the veggie dip that I forgot to buy today, I would have eating my carefully prepared cut up veggies instead.
    Just curious, how much fat are you eating?

My wife struggled producing breastmilk for our first, and it only really came right when we switched to butter. We still really like the taste of vegetables, but we regard them as a combo with the fat they are cooked in, rather than just good by themselves.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Do you know why you are needing to use the bathroom so much at night? Is that normal for you? Also, perhaps you should be generous with the starches right now?

Congrats of the baby! So cute!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Zach is offline Banned
    "My hope is that with less sugar I'll need to pee less at night."

Actually the exact opposite. Also sugar blunts stress hormones so you would sleep better.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Very cute baby!

As for peeing at night, maybe it is not related to sugar? After childbirth I have never regained the same control of my bladder as before. I do Kegals to strengthen those muscles, but it's not the same.

Okay so the peeing at night/sugar thing is due to my mild glucose tolerance issues. I'm not diabetic, but my fasting blood sugar - especially while I was pregnant - is slightly high. Too much glucose in the bloodstream leads to the body trying to flush it out, which means extra pee. And YES eating less sugar/starch, especially towards the end of the day, certainly helps.

It's all moot at the moment though since my small dictator - I mean baby - has decided that waking up every 2 hours is a great way to get through the night. So it doesn't matter, I'm up anyway. But now I only pee after the first wake-up around midnight, and not after subsequent ones, which is better.

Still, I am a total basket case. Food is okay though. I had one bad evening at a friend's bbq but aside from that I have been primalrific. Exercise - not so much. I am just so, so tired, I am counting it a win if I can go somewhere on the bus while wearing my baby. I haven't even had the juice to go for a walk with him on me - I've been using the (gasp!) stroller. Ugh.

Still haven't replaced the batteries in my scale or found my measuring tape, so if you're reading this for numbers you're out of luck.