Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leangains - Martin's protocol page

Davidil is offline Senior Member

Leangains - Martin's protocol

Shop Now
    Hey,

It seems like Martin vanished from the face of the earth. His blog wasn't updated for ages.

Does anybody know what protocol does he use for his clients? I found some hints in the comments section, but it's not really clear:

Fuckarounditis | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Does anyone follow his IF method / macro cycling for T and R days? Working out fasted on BCAA?

Thanks

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    His blog has all that info, he has a FAQ and getting started type post from memory

Yea but not exact workout... or did I miss it?

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Martin does offer personal training services and as far I know that's where he would offer specific workout advice. While he has threatened to produce a book; none is available from him that I am aware of. He does advocate books like Beyond Brawn which offer a good sound approach to standard lifting technique.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post
    Yea but not exact workout... or did I miss it?
    He did some work with the guy from Free the Animal blog, discusses training plan there.

Look up Andy Morgan from rippedbody.jp , he has training posts re leangains

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    He doesn't offer any specific routines. But through his literature and seeing some of the workouts he's had his clients doing, you can gather that he's a big fan of sets of 5 for example. He likes the reverse pyramid training though.

He also mentioned in there somewhere that he'll typically use full body 3 times per week for clients that are newbies or our of shape, then eventually progress to each body part as little as twice or even once per week for more advanced trainees. It makes sense because if you're out of shape you need both the work and practice and you can get away with a higher frequency because you aren't strong enough yet to require more rest days. When you're lifting heavier (because you're stronger), it makes sense that you'd need more days to recover.

So that's simple enough. Right? Realize there is no perfect routine and as long as you keep it simple it will do. Personally I tried working out with different variations of 5x5 all last year and it gave me great results. My experience told me that results come slowly but surely with that method. You end up peaking and having to cycle back through. But after enough cycles, you end up stronger again. It just takes time and patience. Just lift heavy and be progressive and you should be just fine.

I never did the eating part specifically the way he says. But I did use intermittent fasting and it does help A LOT to get rid of the fat and keep it off. The thing you have to realize with the leangains eating protocol, is that there isn't any proof for the necessities for some of what he does to make it work. So while it is "supposed" to be a more rational approach than other typical old school bodybuilding practices such as 6 meals per day, and it is a step back from excessive compulsive dieting, it still has you doing things that are unnecessary without the actual proof that it works or is necessary.

With that being said, you very well could just train hard and cut calories as necessary, and you'd likely get the same results. That's the simple truth. If you can do that and stick to it for a few months, you'll surely see results. If you can't, then you won't. Simple as that.

And as a side note, fasting helps A LOT in reducing calories and providing a more flexible diet. That's why I do it. And in my opinion, that should be the #1 premise of all the intermittent fasting literature that is actually science based. An additional note from Brad Pilon's literature is that you don't need the massive amounts of protein that is typically touted in bodybuilding communities. 60-120 grams per day is good for muscle growth. Any less (on average, meaning you can miss a day) hinders the growth process, and any more doesn't provide any additional benefit even if you're on steroids. But that doesn't mean for health, just muscle growth. The positive thing to note however is the satiating affect of protein, and that's a good thing.

I hope that helps. Lift hard, be progressive, eat less if you have to, and you'll be set with a good body. Simple as that.

Hey, thanks mate.

I don't understand how you can do 5x5, how do you adjust the weights and know when to add more?

You do the big three plus chines only or anything else?

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    If I could meet any one guy in the fitness community and buy him a big Ribeye, it would be Martin Berkham....for me, he is the most straight-forward, non snake-oil salesman of anyone out there. Doesn't care to get rich, get notoriety, or anything else. Just integrity and confidence of his message, and I admire that. He has helped me immensely.

For the diet, the .jp site does a great job of going through the macros. Outside of that, I do 3 big workouts a week, targeted to different areas, with a few accessory movements. Like him though, I am a minimalist. I generally workout in a short window, hate going to an AC building to supposedly get more healthy, do a lot of outdoor work, etc. Anyway, looks like this:

#1: Bench (3,4,5 in reps with decreasing weight,benchmark lift), weighted tri dips, weighted/inclined pushups
    #2: Weighted chins (benchmark), biceps, military shoulder press, front shoulder raises
    #3: Squats (benchmark), weighted glute/ham raises, calf extensions

About every 10 days or so I will do a deadlift in place of one benchmark....deadlift is a treat to be enjoyed

Thanks, I'll get back to this soon. Meanwhile I calculated my macros, if you have any comments before I start it would be great:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1288813

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast