Thread: Kettle bell v Medicine ball page

steven.kelly is online now Senior Member

Kettle bell v Medicine ball

Primal Fuel
    Which one do you prefer?

I see you can buy medicine balls with handles which pretty much make it similar to a kettle bell.

Which weight should I get for both as a first purchase? Considering they are quite expensive I want to get as maximum weight as possible because I will progress and don't want to have to buy a new one.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    If you're male go for a 24kg kettlebell, if you are female a 16kg will get you far.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    If you're male go for a 24kg kettlebell, if you are female a 16kg will get you far.
    I don't agree. Most kettlebell resources say men should start with a 16kg (1 pood) bell. You need to get technique and form down first and 24kg is too heavy to learn propor form.

I say buy the k'bell and make a medicine ball. You buy a cheap basketball and fill it with 25 lbs of sand. Lots of duct tape and you're good to go and you have both!

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Agreed with the above. If you are a vet to kettlebelling, go for the 24 kg but for a new guy, a 16 kg (1 pood) might be best. I know personally, I jacked myself up the first time with kettlebells because the personal trainer I was with had me go too heavy to fast. I think you can do a lot of things with a medicine ball but HOLY CRAP can you do a lot with a kettlebell. I'd go for the kettlebell first.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    16kg is a great starting weight for men I would recommend greasing the groove with that weight. Once you get the basic movements down then move up to a 24kg. Kettlebells are an amazing tool I use them and instruct with them everyday.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I only mentioned the 24kg because the OP seemed to say he only wants to buy one. I agree a 16kg is the best to start with but if you can only pick one and are already reasonably strong, a 24kg may be an option too.
    It's funny, once you get into it you just buy them no matter what. I started with a 24kg, then bought a 16, then a 32 and then another 16 for double work. Now very tempted to buy a 40kg to swing and do Turkish get-ups with...