Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Aragon's Argument against paleo/primal lifestyle (with slide show) page

stallion23 is offline Junior Member

Alan Aragon's Argument against paleo/primal lifestyle (with slide show)

Primal Fuel
    Hello All,

I've done paleo/primal with some moderate success and I've been a long time reader of MDA. Recently, another well-respected member in the "nutritional community", Alan Aragon, has released a slideshow arguing AGAINST many of the reasons for doing the paleo diet including phytate/lectin arguments, omega 6:3 ratios...etc. Here is a link to the slide show. I would love to hear what y'all think.

http://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/NS...ook/Aragon.pdf

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    His problem starts when he defines "the paleo diet" in a way that few do, as though there is one and only one way people eat paleo. This leads to a lot of strawmen he can then knock down.

And since that particular splinter diet he calls "paleo" isn't remotely primal, I suppose it might be of intellectual interest to some. Not to me.

It's clearly a slideshow created as a presentation to be given to a group that thinks that anything that deviates from CW is bad.

I will keep doing what works for me, even if he thinks I should eat gluten and sugar deep-fried in industrial seed oils.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    His problem starts when he defines "the paleo diet" in a way that few do, as though there is one and only one way people eat paleo. This leads to a lot of strawmen he can then knock down.

And since that particular splinter diet he calls "paleo" isn't remotely primal, I suppose it might be of intellectual interest to some. Not to me.

It's clearly a slideshow created as a presentation to be given to a group that thinks that anything that deviates from CW is bad.

I will keep doing what works for me, even if he thinks I should eat gluten and sugar deep-fried in industrial seed oils.
    eKatherine's arguments >>>> Alan Aragon's arguments.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, lots of strawmen arguments. No added salt? No coffee and alcohol?
    I personally disagree with the hardcore paleo ŕ la Cordain as well, that's why we have Primal and Perfect Health Diet (taters!). I just had white rice in some bone broth, topped off with some homemade kefir.
    The ironic thing about a lot of these bodybuilding gurus is that in practice they'll also mainly eat "real food", though they can never resist making a complete caricature of "paleo" and then bringing it down.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Alan Aragon is a nutritional freethinker - the Richard Dawkins of nutrition! But honestly, criticizing diets like the orthodox Paleo diet, which is basically a straw-man anyway, and by using science to deconstruction it is not that intellectual challenging, but there are always some nerds that find a pleasure in doing just that! But seriously, being a nutritional critic is like pissing on already fallen statues, why bother? - Let the few orthodox paleotards have their religion for themselves, no scientific or rational argument will change their mind anyway…
    "When a person is poor in knowledge then he is rich in ignorance and stubbornness, carefully heeding around the little that he knows ..."
    - Gorbag

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Alan Aragon is a nutritional freethinker - the Richard Dawkins of nutrition! But honestly, criticizing diets like the orthodox Paleo diet, which is basically a straw-man anyway, and by using science to deconstruction it is not that intellectual challenging, but there are always some nerds that find a pleasure in doing just that! But seriously, being a nutritional critic is like pissing on already fallen statues, why bother? - Let the few orthodox paleotards have their religion for themselves, no scientific or rational argument will change their mind anyway…
    Nobody's the Richard Dawkins of nutrition dude. Nobody comes close.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Bah, in the history of western thought, Dawkins is nothing less than a wannabe featherweight thinker! But he makes a lot of noise, and the same is true to Aragon...
    "When a person is poor in knowledge then he is rich in ignorance and stubbornness, carefully heeding around the little that he knows ..."
    - Gorbag

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    As I repeat about a million times a day, it is NOT about whether something works....technically I could tell people to eat steak and green peppers for every meal and they would not die or even feel sick.

The questions is ALWAYS, in medicine or nutrition: Is this the minimum effective dose?

In other words, do I NEED to do X, Y, and Z? Or will just X and Y work? What if I do X and half of Y?

When it comes to full paleo, I think the harsh truth to both sides is that both arguments are, if taken under the lens of most scientific matters, very weak. The reality is that we don't know that much about what our ancestors specifically ate, other than to say it varied a lot. In most places, they ate whatever it took to survive, like any other creature.

I have never been an overwhelming hater of grains or dairy. I believe, first and foremost, that our bodies are not meant to operate under consistent high insulin....seeing as grains, sugar, are the main etiology for people walking around this way, I target them. They are all just more levers on the machine, a machine we don't understand. The best we can do is pull the right ones for us.

Altogether a shambolic, straw-man, garbage heap of an infantile argument....very weak sauce. If that is the best anyone has, I am feeling very good about things

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Bah, in the history of western thought, Dawkins is nothing less than a wannabe featherweight thinker! But he makes a lot of noise, and the same is true to Aragon...
    Off topic, but I agree. I'm a hardcore atheist but I think Dawkins is a bigot and doesn't do the cause of atheism much good. His book on it is pretty weak too, he should have stuck with biology.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I have never been an overwhelming hater of grains or dairy. I believe, first and foremost, that our bodies are not meant to operate under consistent high insulin....seeing as grains, sugar, are the main etiology for people walking around this way, I target them. They are all just more levers on the machine, a machine we don't understand. The best we can do is pull the right ones for us.
    Assuming industrial crappy food is not a variable, perhaps people just need to eat less often instead of altering our foods so drastically. So many people eat dinner at 7-8pm, then a snack right before bed at 10-11pm, and then breakfast just a few hours later. I think fasting regularly makes more evolutionary sense but once underlying conditions are present could complicate things, so definitely not something everyone should leap into, also not for those who are very lean and used to eating often.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast