Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Aragon's Argument against paleo/primal lifestyle (with slide show) page 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    What does "the full body of Mr. Dawkins work" usually mean then? I have read enough to see the shallowness in his “debunking”, and Dawkins and Aragon are wasting their time, and so am I…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    What does "the full body of Mr. Dawkins work" usually mean then? I have read enough to see the shallowness in his “debunking”, and Dawkins and Aragon are wasting their time, and so am I…
    Having read something isn't the same thing as being familiar with it. I'm familiar with the Bible, but I haven't read it. I do know some things about its subject matter though.

I'm pointing out that you're laboring under the false pretense that the entirety of Mr. Dawkins writing are on the subject of disspelling creation myths. In other words, you are talking out of your ass.

As usual you don't have a clue about what or whom you are shooting at, since I am also pretty familiar with the God of the philosophers from Aristotle, Aquinas, Descartes et.al., and Dawkins the God delusion is a beyond shallow book…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    OK, skimmed through the ppt.

1. I didn't know paleo was anti-salt.

2. Was amused by the rundown of diet's that all said 'paleo was better for X', with a comment from Alan saying 'not surprising because ....'

Some of the comments were just snotty in tone which turned me off. And half of the food he posted would be considered absolutely fine around here. So I don't know what to make of all this.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Dawkins' contributions to the modern evolutionary synthesis are almost entirely from The Selfish Gene and The Extended Phenotype, both of which I summarize in my Recommended Reading list. His other science books are mostly popularizations of existing science.

I've not read The God Delusion. It's unfortunate that most people only know him for his atheism, instead of for his important scientific contributions.

Meanwhile, let's keep this back on the Alan Aragon track. My take on it: a combination of misrepresentation and strawman. See:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1288598

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    As usual you don't have a clue about what or whom you are shooting at, since I am also pretty familiar with the God of the philosophers from Aristotle, Aquinas, Descartes et.al., and Dawkins the God delusion is a beyond shallow book…
    Your alleged knowledge of Aristotle is irrelevant to your lack of knowledge of Dawkins. The God Delusion is not what you criticized, it was the writer, of whose work you are apparently familiar with a solitary example. The entire concept of memes and memetic selection came out of The Selfish Gene. The man has contributed far more than you give him credit for and you should really keep your uninformed opinions to yourself on the matter.

J. Stanton - Yeah, I think the majority of the time people make criticisms of Paleo/Primal, it's an attack on their own false assumptions or occasionally old assertions (like certain early Cordain stuff) that nobody really adheres to anymore, and often in the name of trying to make a name for the self-proclaimed debunker than really informing anyone.

I prefer Kurt Harris's archevore principles and Chris Kresser's idea of an ancestrally-informed template better than the idea of a strict diet. The guy who runs this place is pretty dogma-free as well, which is a huge asset when it comes to a field where we truly know so little.

And I like your writing. Thanks for coming by and sharing your thoughts.

Yep, if Dawkins will be remembered for anything in 100 years it's as a biologist, and I have personally read "The selfish gene” and "The blind watchmaker" with great interest, but Dawkins sucks as a philosopher wannabe though, and the God delusion was a joke that just made some irrelevant noise! But let’s go back to Aragon since he is the topic here…
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I can't find a lot to complain about in the slideshow, though as always, evidence supporting whole grain (or at least wheat) consumption is weak as always, even in comparison to refined grains. I'd be interested to see a trial comparing whole grain and no grain diets, but we're pretty much the only community of people that would really care, so I don't ever expect to see it.

As for the negative claim about dairy, that's all Cordain, who I've noticed isn't taken very seriously in the greater paleo community. It's not shocking that Mark Sisson's version of paleo that encourages the intake of fatty meat and whole dairy is more popular than the "official" Cordain version.
    If cordain's version of paleo isn't taken seriously or accepted, then what the hell is paleo?

stallion23 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post
    he's constructing a straw man based on Cordain's version of "paleo" from over ten years ago...one from which even Cordain has evolved.
    But he isn't. One of the problems that Aragon faces in arguing against the banned foods of the paleo diet is that there is no one universal paleo diet. Some paleo diets are more strict than others. Some limit dairy. Some limit night shades. He's not going to pick apart each and every variation including rob wolf, primal blue print...etc. So instead of constructing an argument against Cordain's paleo diet...he goes through the banned foods one by one as well as the reasoning for banning said foods (or restricting, if your prefer this term). Not all of these foods will be restricted in Primal blueprint but many of them are.

You can say that no one argues against milk or nightshade consumption on primal blue print, but what about his arguments against paleo claims for grains, sugars, legumes, omega6/3 ratios...all of which the primal blueprint version of the paleo diet are aligned with.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    If cordain's version of paleo isn't taken seriously or accepted, then what the hell is paleo?
    Whatever we want it to be, apparently. What paleo dieter brags about eating lean meat and avoiding dairy?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast