Thread: How many carbs for fat burning? Thyroid issues page

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member

How many carbs for fat burning? Thyroid issues

Primal Fuel
    My question - I am overweight, with multiple hormone balance issues including low thyroid. I'm working in several areas to try to get this righted. I've done a lot of research lately that points to low carb not being the way for anyone to go who has thyroid issues, or any hormonal balance issues really. I know that not all paleo is low carb. (and low carb makes me feel awful). I don't disagree that fat burning is preferable, but is there a way for me to get the higher amounts of carbs that I've seen recommended for thyroid issues, and still be fat burning? How low do your carbs have to be before your body adapts to fat burning? Any thoughts would be great.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrespryte View Post
    I don't disagree that fat burning is preferable, but is there a way for me to get the higher amounts of carbs that I've seen recommended for thyroid issues, and still be fat burning?
    Yes, you just have to maintain a caloric deficit. (There are some good calculators online that can help you estimate your TDEE) Another high-carber checking in, here. The calorie thing will surely be argued, but everyone has an "opinion" and that's mine.

CW people still lose weight/fat with a primarily high-carb, low-fat diet. Obviously isn't the most optimal in terms of overall health, but it is still possible.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrespryte View Post
    I don't disagree that fat burning is preferable, but is there a way for me to get the higher amounts of carbs that I've seen recommended for thyroid issues, and still be fat burning? How low do your carbs have to be before your body adapts to fat burning? Any thoughts would be great.
    You might try Perfect Health Diet levels: 1 lb. starchy tuber or starchy fruit, 1 lb. sweet fruit, and 1 lb. plus of low-kcal vegetables per day. This pans out to 100~150g non-fiber carbohydrate. The aim is to match the brain and red blood cells' glucose utilization but leave the remainder of your sleeping/walking/typing expenditure as lipolytic (fat burn) and not glycolytic (carb burn). I can't say anything about thyroid but this approach optimized my leanness/performance.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Mostly, I'm trying to dial in my macro ratios just to know what I'm shooting for.
    I'm 195 lbs
    I used a calculation that I saw...somewhere, that was a recommended calculation for weight loss for low thyroid people and came up with 2016 cal
    From there, I'm currently looking at 35/19/46 (carb/prot/fat)
    Anyone care to make comment on those numbers? I thought 176g of carbs was pretty moderate, not high, not low. 96g of protein and 103g of fat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Inb4 someone links that blog post from aworldlymonk about vlc not causing low thyroid
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Haven't been around these forums in a while so I'm not aware of the article that you're talking about. From what I've read it doesn't cause it, but can seriously exacerbate it? (People think it's vlc that causes it because it uncovers it - from what I read) either way, not taking any chances.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    CW people still lose weight/fat with a primarily high-carb, low-fat diet. Obviously isn't the most optimal in terms of overall health, but it is still possible.
    It depends on what you mean by low fat. There are plenty of people, myself included, who maintain good overall health with a high carb/low fat diet. It depends on the individual, and you can't really say that a high carb low fat diet is not optimal for health.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog: