Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to eat after exercise? page

Agnieszka Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I enjoy doing yoga, including occasionally hot yoga (which is essentially a series of intense intervals).

I couldn't find any info on what the best post-workout fuel is, especially for after the more intense moderate activity.

Any ideas?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

After my workout (which is usually in the morning) I opt for a big ol' omelet. Lots of veggies and eggs, and sometimes meat.

Agnieszka Guest

Thanks, Diana. So the veggies will do the trick in place of grains or beans? I don't know much about the technicalities of exercise nutrition--and I'm a neophyte in the primal lifestyle--but I was told that if I don't eat some carbs, my body would draw fuel from the muscles.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I've learned the conventional wisdom is generally wrong. As long as you're not doing chronic cardio workouts, a healthy heap of veggies is just fine. That's the thing with PB. Your body becomes more efficient at using fat as fuel, so relies less on carbs.

Tarlach is offline Member

I don't find a need to eat anything after a workout.

When I work out has nothing to do with my meals. If I work out before or after my main meal, then so be it.

I eat almost zero carb and have no problems putting on muscle/gaining strength.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Agnieszka Guest

Fascinating. Thanks.

gn
    gn is offline Junior Member

for me the best approach is working out early in the morning after 10-12 hours of fasting and not eating anything 2-3 hours after...

Agnieszka Guest

Wow. In the primal world there are no worries about muscles starving and depleting, huh?

Nick Guest

When you eat fewer carbs, you have less insulin in your blood, and your fat cells are more able to release fatty acids to your liver, so you get energy that way. When you get plenty of ketones and glucose from your body fat, your body is not likely to catabolize muscle proteins.

If you eat more carbs, your insulin stays elevated long after they're digested, and your fat cells are less able to release fatty acids, and your liver is not geared for metabolizing fat to the same degree, so your body is more likely to try to use muscle protein as fuel.

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

I vote the no eating option (I've also asked this before and was advised thusly).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast