Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When I squat, am I supposed to hyper extend my low back? page

Lockstock is offline Senior Member

When I squat, am I supposed to hyper extend my low back?

Primal Fuel
    When I back squatted today, I've solved the problem of bending, or hip tucking/butt winking at the bottom! (woo) because I had tight ankles and wasn't driving my knees out enough. But now I've traded one problem for another I think. I think I hyper extend (lordosis) my low back to much. In my mind, I'm trying to stay fairlyish up right during the movement, but am I supposed to lean forward a bit more?? Basically, my low back curves in to much.

Im not sure what Im supposed to do, some say arc, or curve the back, and other say keep it straight.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    A slight lordotic curve is cool, but straining to look up to keep the curve is not. Flat or slightly lordotic, deffo not flexed

Mark Rippetoe's says look at the ground ahead, torso leans forward somewhat, bar over mid foot I think.

I don't think you should be super upright on back squat, front and zercher are obviously a different animal

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    When I back squatted today, I've solved the problem of bending, or hip tucking/butt winking at the bottom! (woo) because I had tight ankles and wasn't driving my knees out enough. But now I've traded one problem for another I think. I think I hyper extend (lordosis) my low back to much. In my mind, I'm trying to stay fairlyish up right during the movement, but am I supposed to lean forward a bit more?? Basically, my low back curves in to much.

Im not sure what Im supposed to do, some say arc, or curve the back, and other say keep it straight.
    Very few dudes can extend their low backs too much. But we can't see your back from here. Video?

mev20 is offline Junior Member
    I had low back issues when squatting until I watched this video:

http://vimeo.com/channels/startingstrength/22011422

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Very few dudes can extend their low backs too much. But we can't see your back from here. Video?
    Yeah a video would make things easier! i just dont know how to put one up on here.
    Anyhows I can curve my back really well. When i get back pain or stiffness its usually cos im in slight lordosis. Heavy lifting has done a lot to correct this!!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    Yeah a video would make things easier! i just dont know how to put one up on here.
    Anyhows I can curve my back really well. When i get back pain or stiffness its usually cos im in slight lordosis. Heavy lifting has done a lot to correct this!!
    Post the video to YouTube and just give us a link. Read the sticky in the SS Technique forum about how to take a useful video.

I'm pretty sure slight lordosis is perfectly normal and shouldn't cause any pain.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    I've heard Greg Everett talking on Robb Wolfs podcast about the benefits of slight lordosis, in general, and for lifting. He says that excessive is bad obviously due to excessive compression of the vertebrae, which is also an issue for cervical vertebrae with looking to the ceiling as a lot of folks do.

It's a matter of extremes of course

Smelly Dog is offline Junior Member
    I teach my new clients to
    1.Break the hips(Pelvis)
    2.Eyes on the Horizon
    3.Breath in on the way down
    4.Push out through the knees as if they are digging in the ground with their feet
    5.Push up through the heals

If they have any problems I get them to hold a post or rail for balance to allow them confidence to attain better form.
    Any help ?

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Just on the subject of tight ankles, Kelly Starrett has a GREAT (and still free to view) video on mobilitywod that talks about some mobility for your ankles. Before I squat or snatch, I try to go through his ankle progressions, and it really helps me get the depth, but more importantly, the drive through my heels that I need.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Squat form check - YouTube

Here you all go, A video of my form. It doesn't include my whole body, but it focuses on the back and knees pretty well.

The three different clips are of three different sets. The last set I realize my depth kind of sucked, but that is NOT a common occurrence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast