Thread: Primal Journal (just breathe) page

JustBreathe is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (just breathe)

Primal Fuel
    my first post ever! i have NEVER been into blogging, journaling, keeping a diary, etc, but i've been lurking around the forums for about a month or so. i got into paleo/primal initially to help with my skin, but after reading Mark's book i was completely sold. so now i'm more into it for the health reasons. plus i want to be more toned (lets be honest, who doesn't?) i've always been into sports and have a pretty athletic build, but have never been able to get that lean look...and yup, i've got a little pooch/some baby love handles goin on.

i've been sort of going half way with it for the past couple weeks, but i went back to my parents for the weekend and could NOT stay away from the oreo ice cream/mint girl scout cookies in the freezer. bleeeh...i am a total sugar addict. bread/pasta = no problem, but put some candy in front of me and i'm a goner.

basically, the 80/20 has progressively become more like 20/80 :l so yesterday was my first official day (it went well! no slip ups) but today i figured i would keep track of everything on here. it'll make sticking with it easier! mostly because you all are so motivating

a few goals:

1. eat when hungry. this is a big one for me! i tend to do a lot of late night snacking
    2. track food on livestrong.com on a daily basis (until I get the hang of things…also helps keeps the snacking to a minimum)
    3. avoid the massive candy drawer at work and all of the "treats" people bring in (donuts, cookies, cup cakes, ice cream, chips. i could go on forever...it's kind of gross how much junk is brought in)
    4. MORE FAT! I tend to grab the "non-fat"/"fat free" version every time i'm at the store! like the *light* coconut milk i just got… no more!
    5. learn to cook. i've eaten more delicious food in the past couple of weeks trying this out than i ever have, so i'm pretty excited about this one.
    6. lose a few pounds of fat
    7. work on cutting out dairy completely

breakfast:
    -coffee with some light coconut milk
    -turkey and provolone cheese with some trader joe's cream cheese. also light :/
    lunch:
    -Fage 2% Greek Yogurt with a tiny bit of honey and 8 or so raspberries
    -BAS with some avocado and balsamic vinaigrette - fat free dressing argh, but that was the last of the bottle
    dinner:
    -3 hard boiled eggs with some avocado and salsa
    after dinner snack:
    -2 Son of Grok's almost primal poppers
    http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/03/almost-primal-poppers/
    -2 spoonfuls of peanut butter (whoops...just need to finish this off then im done with the pb!)

*too much dairy today! working on it

cals - 1318
    fat - 85g
    carbs - 59g
    protein - 89g
    26% protein, 17% carbs and 58% fat

lessons learned so far:
    i cannot keep almond butter, nuts, or dried fruit in my apt

bah how could i forget this one?!

8. no more artificial sweeteners. i am (was*!) a complete diet coke addict.

breakfast:
    skipped! got up at 7, but didn't get hungry until around 11:30
    lunch:
    -3 egg omelette with two turkey sausage patties and a slice of the Trader Joe's uncured turkey bacon with some onions...all cooked in butter
    -salsa and a slice of avocado
    -ten raspberries
    afternoon snack:
    -slice of provolone cheese and some turkey
    -handful of walnuts
    -cup of tea with a splash of almond milk and a bit of honey
    dinner:
    -BAS with cucumber, red bell pepper, avocado, half a can of TJ's wild alaskan salmon, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar

activity:
    7 mile bike ride

cals: 1158ish...i didn't add in the butter from the omelette
    fat: 77g
    carbs: 31g (woot woot!)
    protein: 82g

fat: 60.5% carbs: 10.8% protein: 28.6%

tossed the bottle of hershey's chocolate syrup in the garbage! and now have very few non-primal things left in my apartment

it's only 7pm, so i've got a few hours before i go to bed. let's see if i can avoid wandering back into the kitchen....

well, i made it until about 9:30 last night and then i grabbed the jar of pb. not even "healthy" pb....it was skippy. second ingredient? sugar :l le sigh

i ate a few spoonfuls of that with a bit of honey, so i definitely upped my cals and carbs. i don't feel toooooo awful about it because my carbs were pretty low yesterday, but i finished it off so no more late night peanut butter! i woke up feeling a little bloated and it doesn't help that i have a bit of a cold, so all i've have today is some iced coffee with cinnamon and coconut milk.

more updates later!

breakfast:
    coffee with coconut milk and a few drops of agave sweetener
    late lunch:
    -lara bar (so many carbs in such a baby bar!)
    -dry salami
    -baybel cheddar cheese
    dinner:
    -TJ's italian sausage
    -bell peppers and onions cooked on the stove in some butter
    -miso soup (not primal, i know...but i have a cold and was craving some soup!)

cals: 780 - bah, too low! didn't add the butter i used for dinner or the coconut milk from this morning. plus i always lose my appetite when i'm sick
    fat: 49g
    carbs: 41g
    protein: 56g

fat: 53% carbs: 19% protein 37%

there was an ad on the radio earlier today for the "holiday cookie diet". essentially you eat these cookies that the company sends you for two meals a day and a "sensible" third meal. WHAT?! and my friends think I'M nuts for being primal...

Grol is offline Senior Member
    That cookie diet commercial had me laughing out loud. It is quite brilliant from a business standpoint. My closest friends and family also think I am nuts, but if I was doing the cookie diet, they would all be supportive. I just know they would. I wish I thought of it.

isn't it ridiculous grol?!

breakfast:
    -coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon
    -fage 2% greek yogurt, 10 raspberries, 1/2 tsp honey
    lunch:
    -BAS with avocado, bacon, cucumber, bell peppers, banana peppers, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar
    afternoon snack:
    -cup of banana peppers and jalepenos
    -a few peanuts, two jolly ranchers, cup of fruit salad
    dinner:
    -3 hard boiled eggs, slice of avocado, salsa
    dinner part 2:
    -hamburger patty with cheese, 1/2 an avocado, some french fries

cals: 1369 (i have no idea how accurate this is)
    fat: 87g
    carbs: 73g
    protein: 69g

fat: 57% carbs: 21% protein: 20%

there was a retirement at work today with a reception which included a LOT of food, most of it off limits, so i grabbed a cup of fresh fruit and had no desire to eat any of the cake, brownies etc that was there. the person i was with kept INSISTING that i eat a piece of cake. how many times do you have to say no thank you??? i caved and had a tiny bite of his when he wouldn't take no for an answer, but that was it!

i also had some more coffee at work with one small thing of half and half and half a packet of real sugar....i usually put like 3 creamers and 5 packets of spenda in my coffee. so i'm gonna take this as slow improvement.

and tonight i had my first primal experience at a burger place. i was with some people i didn't know very well and i was getting some funny looks when my food was ready (i will admit, the burger did look pretty pathetic without the bun). and before i knew it, i blurted out that i had a possible wheat allergy. sigh. i chickened out a little, but no questions asked after that.

good:
    avoided eating any cake/desserts, except for one small bite
    leaving french fries on my plate!! major progress for me. next time though? i'll ask for just the burger
    not so good:
    french fries, period.
    jolly ranchers? could have been avoided
    too many carbs in one day! not enough protein.
    also, too much dairy. i think the dairy = acne (or so i've heard), which is one of my main reasons for being primal, so i've gotta do better about cutting this out. but man, i love that fage yogurt with honey

breakfast:
    -scrambled eggs with butter
    -2 slices of bacon
    -2 cups of coffee with half a packet of sugar and a baby half and half
    morning snack:
    -italian salami
    -slice of provolone cheese
    -baybel cheddar cheese
    lunch:
    -3 hard boiled eggs with salsa and a slice of avocado
    afternoon snack
    -handful of grapes
    dinner
    -small spinach salad with 1/2 can of salmon heated up on the stove in some coconut oil

cals: 1112 (not including butter from eggs, sugar/half and half, small bit of olive oil dressing or coconut oil)
    fat: 69g
    carbs: 29g
    protein: 112g

fat: 52% carbs: 9% protein: 38%

too much cheese and too many eggs? hmm
    Last edited by JustBreathe; 06-05-2010 at 08:18 PM.

PrimalCon New York
    ahh i'm such a snacker at night time. after i had the spinach salad last night, i had a bunch of salami and some sunflower seeds.
    but today was a good day!!

breakfast:
    -scrambled eggs
    -2 slices of bacon
    -coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon
    lunch:
    -BAS with a slice of avocado, bacon, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar
    -salami with slice of provolone and cheddar cheese
    dinner:
    -Fage 2% greek yogurt with 1/2 tbsp honey and 10 raspberries
    -two "primal poppers"
    -more salami with cheese

Cals: 1336
    Fat: 90g
    Carbs: 33g
    Protein: 130g

Fat: 55% Carbs: 9% Protein: 35%

so i did eat quite a bit of dairy today BUT someone brought chocolate covered caramel with macadamia nuts to work for everyone (YUM) and i didn't have a single one. i ALMOST used the excuse, "well the macadamia nuts are good for me soooo it's okay to have just one" but i resisted...win!
    Last edited by JustBreathe; 06-06-2010 at 09:10 PM.