Thread: Sauerkraut recipes page

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member

Sauerkraut recipes

Anyone here make their own Sauerkraut? I'm sick of eating the canned stuff which I suspect has very little nutritional value anyway, so figured I might give it a go myself.

Recipes and tips/tricks please!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I use a contraption called a picklemeister, the small sized one, you can find it online. I gave up on shredding my own cabbage. Trader Joes has 10 oz packs of shredded green cabbage which work great. I can fit 6 10 oz packs into my small size picklemeister. In between layers I'll toss in a total of 1.5 TBSP of Juniper Berries and 1.5 TBSP of Caraway Seeds. I sprinkle in sea salt but don't really measure that, just go by feel.

You do need to grind it down pretty well, I use the flat, round bottom of a small bottle and a meat tenderizer that looks like a two sided hammer although they do make these kraut mashers that look like small bowling pins. Generally it takes about 25 minutes total to mash down the cabbage but I always get plenty of juice going so that I don't have to add extra water. About 2 weeks later, I have enough kraut to last me about 2 weeks then I start making another batch so I always have some.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use a Harsch crock which is dead easy and makes excellent sauerkraut. I am also making two of these

Homemade fermentation jar for use making kimch, saurkraut & kombucha

And this is so worth reading too!

The 3 Biggest Fermenting Mistakes You’re Already Making | Food Renegade