Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Chocolate Woes - Please Help page

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member

Dark Chocolate Woes - Please Help

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am starting to get overwhelmed by the prices of high quality dark chocolate. Right now as we speak, I am eating a Strawberry Lindt dark chocolate bar that I just paid $3.19 for (It is 3.5 ounces). Sometimes I eat half, sometimes I eat the whole thing. Lindt is my favorite. I love it. This is a typical price for where I live. I also like, but don't love, Endangered Species which goes for $3.00 - $3.50 a bar. Ocaissionally it is on sale for $2.50 but not often. Today, I also bought Ritter Sport which was 2/$5.00. I don't love this kind but still think it is good.

I am just wondering what type of dark chocolate you guys eat and if maybe there is a way to order online in bulk to save money or if there are certain stores you shop at like Costco where you have gotten good deals on dark chocolate please let me know. So I am just looking for whatever money saving ideas you have.

Please do not suggest that I eat something else less expensive to get carbs. I love dark chocolate and don't want to give it up. Thanks.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm on the same page. Share those chocolate secrets, people.

We always visit Grocery Outlet, and they often have half price dark chocolate, good soy-free brands like Dagoba. And when we see them, we buy a month's worth. Check out Trader Joes. They have a 3.5 oz bar of 72% dark chocolate that is soy-free for $1.99. It's pretty good stuff, too. Kinda melts in your mouth. I've also bought baking chocolate for questionable, affordable choco-density. Some people also make their own by mixing cocoa powder with coconut oil and honey, etc. (Trader Joes cocoa powder is the best price you'll ever find in the universe.)

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Lindt 90% goes on sale at a store near me for $2 per bar pretty regularly; when it does I buy them all.

World Market has a good 99% bar that's always right around $2 also.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    I am starting to get overwhelmed by the prices of high quality dark chocolate. Right now as we speak, I am eating a Strawberry Lindt dark chocolate bar that I just paid $3.19 for (It is 3.5 ounces). Sometimes I eat half, sometimes I eat the whole thing. Lindt is my favorite. I love it. This is a typical price for where I live. I also like, but don't love, Endangered Species which goes for $3.00 - $3.50 a bar. Ocaissionally it is on sale for $2.50 but not often. Today, I also bought Ritter Sport which was 2/$5.00. I don't love this kind but still think it is good.

I am just wondering what type of dark chocolate you guys eat and if maybe there is a way to order online in bulk to save money or if there are certain stores you shop at like Costco where you have gotten good deals on dark chocolate please let me know. So I am just looking for whatever money saving ideas you have.

Please do not suggest that I eat something else less expensive to get carbs. I love dark chocolate and don't want to give it up. Thanks.
    I eat Lindt 90%. I typically buy a bunch of bars every time Shopper's Drug Mart has them on sale for 2.50 each, which happens a lot actually. I usually get at least four, sometimes as many as eight. I eat maybe two, three squares a day.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    I know the feel... When G&B's in over $3 a bar, I weep. You can make your own.

5Tbsps cocoa powder
    5Tbsps coconut oil
    Sweetener of choice to taste (I don't use much)

-Mix all together and refrigerate.

Not the best chocolate in the world and melts kinda easy, but wrap it in tinfoil and you should be good to go. Stores well in the fridge... Might try it with cocoa butter sometime, but don't currently have any.

moluv is offline Senior Member
    I like the consistency of date sweetened chocolates and the cocoa butter is well worth the effort (sometimes it is in the skincare aisle). I smush them into little silicone ice trays to make bonbons. I think making it at home is the cheapest- maybe doing that for half the time and eating storeboughts the rest.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Girl, you just can't have a thread on how to save money being primal and then talk about eating chocolate that is $3.19 for 3.5 oz! That translates to $14.58 a pound!

Personally, I can't eat just two squares, so it's rare that I buy any. But dayum, for $14/lb, I could buy salmon fillets - locally even.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Just eat Baker's unsweetened chocolate. 100% pure.

Or invest in some raw coco powder. Something like 95% of the health benefits are maintained in the powdering process.

Both of these forms of chocolate are way cheaper than any of the "bars" you guys are talking about and you can sweeten them as much or as little as you want with whatever you want, so you control the additional variables much more easily. Both of these forms are great for adding to smoothies, herbal elixirs, "fat bomb" beverages, and the coco powder can be sprinkled onto almost any dish and used like a spice.

firetiger is offline Senior Member
    I usually get whatever bars are on sale at Whole Foods (usually something is 2 for $5). If I go to Walmart I pick up some Lindt 90% for $2.99 I think.
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Just eat Baker's unsweetened chocolate. 100% pure.

Or invest in some raw coco powder. Something like 95% of the health benefits are maintained in the powdering process.

Both of these forms of chocolate are way cheaper than any of the "bars" you guys are talking about and you can sweeten them as much or as little as you want with whatever you want, so you control the additional variables much more easily. Both of these forms are great for adding to smoothies, herbal elixirs, "fat bomb" beverages, and the coco powder can be sprinkled onto almost any dish and used like a spice.
    Okay, so if you get the Baker's unsweetened chocolate, do you melt it down and then add some kind of natural sweetener and then let it harden in the fridge? Which sweeteners have you found work best with it? How much do these Baker's unsweetened chocolate bars cost? It does sound like a good idea.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast