Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal diet - marketing machine page

lelion is offline Senior Member

Primal diet - marketing machine

I used to be a personal trainer, but chose a career in the software world. However, I have and always will maintain a high level of interest in fitness.

I was on vacation for the past few weeks so I dedicated alot of the time in doing research on the most effective way to stay fit/healthy from a food standpoint. I studied everything... Paleo, primal, ketonic, vegan, raw vegan, raw food, pescetarian, etc. I even found doctors touting a starch based diet.

Some of what Mark Sisson says makes sense, until I saw the meal replacement supplements. You can't say on one end that dairy is to be nearly eliminated, and then on the other end sell an overly priced whey protein supplement ($70 for a whey protein supplement? seriously?). Just this fact gave me the general overall impression that this whole thing is simply structured as a marketing machine to make money. The whey protein supplement made me question the validity of everything and lowered my view of Mark Sisson's intentions. I do think Mark Sisson is a brilliant salesperson. I got a little inspired by Mark until I saw the overpriced supplements, and for that reason alone I am writing this post... I almost bought into this whole thing.

The reason why this program works is because it's low carb. Plain and simple.

I also question some of the views on beans, legumes, lentils. Go talk to a vegan... They eat alot of legumes and some have similar claims to the folks on the paleo/primal bandwagon.. "cured a disease, cured arthritis, etc." These folks are eating tons of grains and legumes.

Go to India, and you'll find a ton legumes... Case in point, my ancestors are from India.... My grandmother lived close to her 90s... Her trick, going for a walk every day.

I just wanted to make a statement, and I was turned off by the fact that this whole thing has turned into a marketing machine... Books, supplements, luxury retreats, etc.

I almost bought into the hype here but I believe at the end of the day it's actually simple and you don't need shiny books and overpriced supplements and a luxury retreat to figure out what works best for your goals.
    Last edited by lelion; 08-20-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelion View Post
    snip.... blah blah bunch of anecdotal stuff......

I just wanted to make a statement, and I was turned off by the fact that this whole thing has turned into a marketing machine... Books, supplements, luxury retreats, etc.

I almost bought into the hype here but I believe at the end of the day it's actually simple and you don't need shiny books and overpriced supplements and a luxury retreat to figure out what works best for your goals.
    ^ Good thing almost all the info is found right here and put out for free then huh

But still, dude don't be a hater cause somebody is better at the money making game than you. Don't hate the player hate the game. You don't like capitalism then best take it up with the government.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-20-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    ^ Good thing almost all the info is found right here and put out for free then huh
    I just wanted to make a point... Like I said I just question the validity of the concepts when a whey protein supplement with primal branding is being sold in an online shop right beside the free stuff... The free stuff has ads for the ultimate low carb meal replacement everywhere which is basically whey protein. "Free" is a highly effective online marketing strategy.

Here we go... I'm a hater now... I actually liked Mark Sisson, and I do just fine in my own business. I was just interested in finding some new nutrition strategies while I was on vacation, and I have habit of challenging people and concepts.

It's hard for me to look up to Mark Sisson as an authority. Seriously, a whey protein supplement for $70 when one of the main points is to eliminate dairy? I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelion View Post
    Here we go... I'm a hater now... I actually liked Mark Sisson, and I do just fine in my own business. I was just interested in finding some new nutrition strategies while I was on vacation, and I have habit of challenging people and concepts.

It's hard for me to look up to Mark Sisson as an authority. Seriously, a whey protein supplement for $70 when one of the main points is to eliminate dairy? I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Then don't look to sisson... there are many many many scientist that study the relevance of an ancestral diet. Choose one or heck choose ALL of them. Mark put togeather a nice little program. In todays day and age you can find your niche as an original thinker OR you can assimilate original thought into a coherent and actionable course for the masses. Mark is one of the latter obviously.

^Woops not to say those are the only two options. Obviously there is the 1 on 1 and group classes and such.... and much more. Just pointing out that while I like Mark Sisson and his program the studies that back it up and the concept of ancestral health is not owned solely by him, so if you are put off by this site or his motives that doesn't mean that the underlying science that backs it up changes.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-20-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Then don't look to sisson... there are many many many scientist that study the relevance of an ancestral diet. Choose one or heck choose ALL of them. Mark put togeather a nice little program. In todays day and age you can find your niche as an original thinker OR you can assimilate original thought into a coherent and actionable course for the masses. Mark is one of the latter obviously.
    That's a good point. I'll refrain from going too deep because I'll probably get attacked by all of you. LOL

I just wanted to make a point about that whey supplement...

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    When Mark Sisson starts telling me, like Tommy Lasorda, to drink a shake for breakfast and lunch and then enjoy a sensible dinner of veggies and offal and watch the weight fall off, I'll get annoyed. Until then, I appreciate his (free) message to eat whole foods.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    No one has attacked you or called you a hater.
    I don't buy anything from the site. I do have the book, though - and love it. TPB has helped me in many ways.

Eating beans and legumes gives me a huge carb crash, always has. I was brought up on beans and greens, "healthy Mediterranean diet." Didn't work out so well. I only believe a small portion of what I read, but I believe 100% of my personal experience.

Tommy Lasorda... Haha!

I get annoyed when someone contradicts their philosophies to sell an overpriced product. If the idea is to eat whole foods and avoid processed foods and dairy,Why sell a highly processed form of dairy as a meal replacement when the overall idea is to eat whole foods?
    Last edited by lelion; 08-20-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by APPLEGIRL View Post
    No one has attacked you or called you a hater..
    Neckhammer called me a hater if you read further up...

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast