Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slammin' deal on coconut oil page

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member

Slammin' deal on coconut oil

Primal Fuel
    I used to buy Nutiva coconut oil, but the stuff Vitacost carries is just as good for a fraction of the price. Anyway, they're selling their 54oz organic virgin tubs on sale for $16.99 right now. Spend over $30 on Vitacost brand stuff with coupon code BEVITA6 and you get $5 off. Spend over $49 and you get free shipping.

I just ordered some myself. Figured someone would appreciate it. Nothing's cheap nowadays. Except this.

Vitacost Extra Virgin Certified Organic Coconut Oil -- 54 fl oz - Vitacost
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Choco. That is an amazing deal. I've been buying Nutiva for years but I may have to give Vitacost a try.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I never posted because Vitacost was the only one I ever used. It smells and tastes good to me.

Just a note, if all the items in your purchase are Vitacost brand, free shipping kicks in after $25. Vitacost Coupons, Deals, Promos, Discounts - Vitacost - bottom row, middle item.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    Do you guys do bullet proof coffee? Everyone talks about it's creaminess. Mine just ended up being coffee with a grease slick on top and I couldn't get it down, even though it smelled wonderful. What am I doing wrong?

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APPLEGIRL View Post
    Do you guys do bullet proof coffee? Everyone talks about it's creaminess. Mine just ended up being coffee with a grease slick on top and I couldn't get it down, even though it smelled wonderful. What am I doing wrong?
    How are you making it? Are you using a stick blender to get the butter/coconut oil frothy? What is the ratio of coffee to butter to coconut oil that you are using?

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    How are you making it? Are you using a stick blender to get the butter/coconut oil frothy? What is the ratio of coffee to butter to coconut oil that you are using?
    I tried a tablespoon sized glop combined, as I wanted to ease into it. I used a regular blender. I don't have a stick blender, maybe that's the problem. Just wasn't emulsifying. It was separating pretty much the minute I poured it. Maybe it's the stick blender thing. Perhaps the regular blender just doesn't cut it. I'm very interested in adding more coconut oil to my diet, and I don't care for the flavor in all my dishes for cooking.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I only use coconut oil in my coffee because I perceive it to be more healthy than half 'n' half. So, I'm not bulletproofing, just making a substitution.

I keep a small container of coconut oil on my kitchen counter, and in summer, it's almost always total liquid. Also, some methods of coffee prep are hotter than others. "Boiled" coffees like cowboy, French press, and espresso are hotter than drip, so that might be why there might be a problem getting the coconut oil to blend in.

I use about 10 oz of espresso + a half tablespoon of coconut oil, and blend it in a regular (cheap) blender. The only time I get the oil slick is if I let the coffee cool too much - like to room temp. But I kind of like it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    I just add coconut oil, a TBS+ to my coffee mug, pour in ample cinnamon powder & maybe some other chai type spices, maybe a drop or 2 of stevia but often not, stir it well & that's my quick, easy version of bp coffee. That's Sat, Sun mornings generally, or if I need a pick me during the week once in a while. Is the frothy, blendedness just an aesthetic?
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APPLEGIRL View Post
    I tried a tablespoon sized glop combined, as I wanted to ease into it. I used a regular blender. I don't have a stick blender, maybe that's the problem. Just wasn't emulsifying. It was separating pretty much the minute I poured it. Maybe it's the stick blender thing. Perhaps the regular blender just doesn't cut it. I'm very interested in adding more coconut oil to my diet, and I don't care for the flavor in all my dishes for cooking.
    That's weird that it didn't emulsify in your blender. Mine always does best when I use my blender. I blend it for close to a minute. The stick blender works, but it isn't quite as creamy. The little inexpensive frother only sort of works but it's easy to clean.

I wonder if it's the lack of ghee or butter that is causing the issues. I don't think I have ever just used the oil. I always have ghee around so I use it per the BP recipe instructions.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    That's weird that it didn't emulsify in your blender. Mine always does best when I use my blender. I blend it for close to a minute. The stick blender works, but it isn't quite as creamy. The little inexpensive frother only sort of works but it's easy to clean.

I wonder if it's the lack of ghee or butter that is causing the issues. I don't think I have ever just used the oil. I always have ghee around so I use it per the BP recipe instructions.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't know. It seems so simple for everyone else. I've only tried it a couple of times. I'll give it another "go" and blend it a bit longer. I was wondering sometimes if there isn't enough liquid in the blender things don't work as well, so maybe a bit more coffee would do the trick, too.

Betorq: I didn't try it without the butter, maybe that would work. I can't drink it unless it's emulsified - couldn't get past the slick on top. Maybe it's just me.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll try it again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast