Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Eating + Lifting to get Leaner and Stronger - Is it even possible? page 8

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    OK so given that the bodyfat is getting annoying what do I do with the weight training? Should I deload a bit and go do some higher rep ranges? I want to keep my metabolism up but I'm obviously not going to have the energy to push LP strength gains if I cut calories. I'm already hitting the wall on my presses.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    I think the state of the art is to keep weight on the bar up and reduce volume and frequency.

Ie 1 or 2 work sets twice a wk or 3 times/2 weeks with your best weight or very close

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    OK so given that the bodyfat is getting annoying what do I do with the weight training? Should I deload a bit and go do some higher rep ranges? I want to keep my metabolism up but I'm obviously not going to have the energy to push LP strength gains if I cut calories. I'm already hitting the wall on my presses.
    Ask Jordan in the Nutrition Forum at Starting Strength dot com.

I will thanks. That being said, I can sort of guess what I'll be told by members on that board...something along the lines of:

"1. YNDTFP"
    "2. You're a p*ssy"

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    I guess I'm answering my own question here, but I've started cutting back on calories (and carbs) and things are getting a lot harder as far as lifting weights go. Kinda takes the fun out of it a bit.

I might need a different program, called "Starting Weakness", where you decrease the bar weight by 5lbs every session...
    Or carry on with the SS routine, but just de load a bit on the 2nd and third sets and add a rep or two, reverse pyramid a la leangains. You get the volume and practice, once bf is lower get back into 3x5 as normal

Quote Originally Posted by thriveful View Post
    Or carry on with the SS routine, but just de load a bit on the 2nd and third sets and add a rep or two, reverse pyramid a la leangains. You get the volume and practice, once bf is lower get back into 3x5 as normal
    Oops looks like u already considered this

OK thanks. Actually that's kind of what happens naturally when I can't complete a set.

OK thanks. Actually that's kind of what happens naturally when I can't complete a set.
    I know we all want it all at once but we all have some time. Get lean and then strong or vice versa. Sure it is possible to get some of both at the same time, buts king it as easy as possible is my goal. I'm lifting, gaining on deads, stalling a bit on squats and upper body, but getting lean and maintaining muscle, and liking how I'm looking.

Just put some BW stuff back in on my non lifting days for variety and coz I like it.

Once I am 10% bf or so, I'll titrate cals up a little at a time and add some muscle

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I will thanks. That being said, I can sort of guess what I'll be told by members on that board...something along the lines of:

"1. YNDTFP"
    "2. You're a p*ssy"

It's a moderated forum. That being said, DTFP and don't be a p*ssy!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Bah, more carb wars, but I may as well point it out. Read the steak and eggs thread. Plenty of guys reported increased lean mass in conjunction with losing fat. Now, the steak and eggs diet did include a carb refeed once a week. Thats about how I do things myself. My N=1 is I continue to get stronger while remaining approximately the same weight for the past 18 months.
    Maybe you can re-feed with carbs once a week when doing a very low training volume, or better; try the egg and steak diet the Gironda way with a re-feed every 72 hours...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast