Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating + Lifting to get Leaner and Stronger - Is it even possible? page 5

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    Ah OK that's good to know. Yes I started with SS at the end of July.
    Oh...a month; I don't know what you're worried about. Keep doing the program, get stronger, look better. Figure the rest out down the road.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    SFH,

When you say you are logging everything are you weighing and measuring or eyeballing food.

Have a look at you charts and pick a two week period where you have lost weight at a rate you want, take the average of that period and thats a good guideline or start point to base your daily calorie requirements. Adust up/down from there depending on your next two weeks weight loss and energy levels. Give you self a couple of months tracking and you should be able to eyeball food intake. To help out try and keep standard meals and adjust quantities to suit

I am still a work in progress, so take the below suggestions knowing that your miles may vary and I far from ideal at 18-20%BF mid 40's male desk job.

From my reading of books, websites etc this is the general consensus

A) You will lose muscle mass when dieting, However you can minimise how much you lose by keeping protein and healthy fat levels up in your diet
    B) For a beginner lifter with average BF, Cut first to a level you are happy with then increase calories for a slow bulk 1-2lbs per month type of bulk not 5 lbs in a week......
    C) To hold onto as much muscle mass and strength as possible, lift same heavy weights low to medium reps, try reverse pyramid or pyramid type lifts
    D) Keep up with your compound moves such as Bench, squats, leg press, military press, chins, rows and dips. Continue with SS 5x3 or SL 5x5

My current focus is to do IF and track calories and adjust macros to suit my activity and goal to loses the last 10kgs (22lbs). I have upped my carbs the last two weeks to 150-200gr per day. Daily calories are averaging at 2100 over the last 14 days and I have dropped 3kgs in the last two weeks. The next two weeks I am continuing with IFing (16:08) and going to try carb cycling, less carbs on rest/cardio days more on lift days. My routine is 2 x 1 hour swim squads, 2-3 x Lift days (5x5 SS) and 1 day metcon either KB or sprints. Plus additional play activities like surfing, surf ski paddling etc.

Cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

KiteKasia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    In my own personal womanly 48-year-old experience you do not need to get fat to get stronger. (...)

I lift 2x a week because I'm old. Worked my way up to 2x a week of bike sprints because those are supposed to be good for fat loss. It's probably a little too much because I'm old. (...)
    Basically, being stronger is good, you don't have to become obese to get stronger and getting stronger can make an older lady like me have visible muscles so it ought to work just fine for you.
    Will you please stop calling yourself old!
    48 isn't old!!!
    I don't plan on feeling old when I reach that age and see no reason why should I?
    I don't even think 58 is old.
    How old is Mark? And his wife? They are NOT old!!!
    You look good, you do good things, I presume you enjoy your life and yourself - be young!
    X
    Last edited by KiteKasia; 08-28-2013 at 03:59 AM.

Nivanthe is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KiteKasia View Post
    48 isn't old!!!
    I don't plant feeling old when I reach that age and see no reason why should I?
    Agree -- I'm part of a large FB group of female lifters of all ages, but there are many who are 40+ and would not agree they're old! And quite a few 40s-60s on the BB.com forum and they're rocking and improving what they've got.

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    48 isn't old!!!
    I don't plan on feeling old when I reach that age and see no reason why should I?
    You look good, you do good things, I presume you enjoy your life and yourself - be young!
    X
    I had to laugh here! "I don't EVEN consider 58 old!" Well THANK YOU Ma'am! I'm 58, and most DEF am not old! Staying immature helps keep one young at heart (LOL)--my problem is that i keep forgetting i'm not 28 when i'm doing physical stuff, so i'm learning patience. And more patience. And more of the damned stuff...

So watch out with that "old" stuff, people! Hahaha!

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for the input.

Fbf, I have been weighing meats, and measuring stuff like rice and milk. Vegetables I eyeball, as well as tablespoons of butter, oil, etc.
    Last edited by StupidFatHobbit; 08-28-2013 at 06:58 AM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    48 isn't old!!!
    X
    Ha ha in the context of Starting Strength, which targets high school boys trying to get on the football team, I am considered "Elderly" over there. But yeah, I'm pretty darn young and even younger at heart. I can't lift 3x a week or I can't recover so that right there puts me in an older demographic.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

KiteKasia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjoyous View Post
    I had to laugh here! "I don't EVEN consider 58 old!" Well THANK YOU Ma'am! I'm 58, and most DEF am not old! Staying immature helps keep one young at heart (LOL)--my problem is that i keep forgetting i'm not 28 when i'm doing physical stuff, so i'm learning patience. And more patience. And more of the damned stuff...

So watch out with that "old" stuff, people! Hahaha!
    Ah sorry for unfortunate wording on my part, but this is exactly what I mean 48, 58 isn't old! There are many very hot looking and young-ly behaving people (both genders) in that age group and older!

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    So just a little update...weight seems to have stabilized over the last week or so. I'm still eating between 3000 and 4000 a day. I've made the mental shift away from worrying about scale weight and have decided to concentrate on strength, and hopefully the weight increase will not happen too fast if as long as I don't overdo it on the eating.

Something tells me that if it took me months to lose 10lbs and only two weeks to gain it back then my body really did not want to be at that lower weight...That, and/or I seriously needed to increase LBM and metabolism before trying to reduce bodyfat.

MarkG is offline Junior Member
    Im reading a lot of conflicting advice here.

At 20% BF you only have 2 options.

1. Eat at a caloric surplus and gain strength, muscle AND more BF
    2. Eat at a caloric deficit and lose BF, and MAINTAIN muscle and strength (provided a decent lifting program is implemented)

Some things to keep in mind.

At 20% BF your rate of fat accumulation will be higher relative to you muscle gain than if you were leaner. Lets say you continue to bulk over the next 3-4 months (min amount of time to see a noticeable increase in strength/mass) you may gain anywhere from 10-20 pounds. In your case I would expect fully half of that to be fat. You would definitely be stronger, but visually I expect you would look bigger but not substantially more muscular due to the increased BF. To see the benefits of your increased strength and muscle you will need to go on a caloric deficit at that point. Alternatively you just keep going forever, and end up with the fat powerlifter type body, nothing wrong with that if thats what you want.

However Im guessing like most people you want aesthetic improvements.

My personal recommendation to you is to get your BF to a minimum level of 15% (12% is ideal) before embarking on a mass gaining phase. This will allow you to make longer strength and muscle gains while minimizing fat accumulation.

Without knowing more about your situation I can only suggest my blanket recommendation for weight loss which has worked for every person I have put on so far, including myself. Determine your maintenance calories. Subtract 500 calories on rest days and 300 on gym days, this will be your new baseline. Implement a 16/8 fasting schedule, for most people this means skip breakfast, meal 1 is lunch and meal 2 is dinner. Go VLC on rest days. On workout days eat the majority of your carbs post workout. The remainder at dinner. Once a week ideally on a workout day have a proper feast, this can be up to 1000 above maintenance, but no need to monitor exactly. Even with the once weakly feast you will be in a total caloric deficit for the week.

I have seen this regimen work wonders on people anywhere from 15% BF all the way up to 30%BF.

As far as exercise, 2X a week HIIT session such as sprinting and 2-3X a week weights is plenty.

Otherwise if you continue bulking now without leaning out first just remember you will have that much more fat to lose once you decide to stop bulking. You will have some metabolic advantage due to increased muscle but Im not sure if that worth being in such a high BF state for so long. Another way of looking at it is you would be considered overweight for minimum the next 6-8 months (4 months bulking plus 2-4 months cutting)

For rapid aesthetic improvement, the kind that people notice and compliment you on, I would definitely recommend you concentrate totally on fat loss. I know its hard, especially on a weightlifting program where you want to see the numbers move every week, but if you fall into the eat more to get stronger trap you might never get out of it.

Anyway I wish you good luck in your journey, will be checking in on this post to see how you progress

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast