Thread: Help- Kefir way too sour page

SaskAlex is offline Junior Member

Help- Kefir way too sour

Hi everyone, my name is Alex and I'm new here. I've been interested in the primal lifestyle for a while, and just recently decided to try it out to see if it would help with some digestive issues.

I want to try drinking kefir for the probiotic benefits. I ordered some milk kefir grains on ebay and started and rehydrating them about a week ago. I've been changing the milk everyday. Every batch so far has smelled about the same. Mostly like yeast. A number of batches have started to separate (curds from the whey) in well under 24 hours, at room temperature. I've taste tested the last three batches (before they started to separate) and they have all been very sour. I enjoy eating plain greek yogourt, but this was nothing like that. More like someone poured a bunch of vinegar in some warm milk. It's not really thick, either, and the curds don't really mix in when I stir it. It looks mixed, but doesn't feel very smooth.

Do any of you kefir experts think something is wrong with my kefir? Could the bacteria and yeast still be finding their equilibrium? Or do I just have to get used to the sour taste? Should avoid consuming it while it tastes this sour?

Thanks for any help!

Alex

SaskAlex is offline Junior Member
    Okay, after reading some other threads it looks the people who like milk kefir straight up might be the minority. I guess people put it in smoothies and other things for a reason. Just had some with a few berries blended in and it was much more palatable. I'll try that out for a while. I'd really like to end up drinking it straight, though.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I might be able to a little. I've been making kefir for a while now with pretty good success. There could be a few things going for you. The kefir grains need to become adjusted to your milk. That alone can take 2-3 weeks. If your kefir is sort of gritty, that's what is going on. If you are waiting too long to remove your grains and getting a big separation your kefir will be a little too thin and a little too sour. Try your kefir after 12 hours to see how you like it. Kefir, even well adjusted to your milk, can transition sometimes too.

The sour kefir is fine to drink. I store my extra grains in a small jar in the bottom of the fridge and change the milk once a week. Boy is that sour, but in a good way. The 24 hour schedule is easiest to work with so if my kefir is fermenting too fast, I just remove some grains for the next batch. A few degrees in temperature or grams of grains will affect the rate of fermentation.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.