Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Udi's Gluten Free Bread - Is this considered Primal page

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member

Udi's Gluten Free Bread - Is this considered Primal

Shop Now
    I got my Finance to go on the Primal diet with me but he is really having a hard time keeping weight on. I had suggested that he stop eating Udi's gluten free bagels as I considered this to be gluten free junk food. He feels that the lack of carbs is what is making him lose weight. He also has blood sugar issues and can't eat fruit, dark chocolate or an excessive amount of berries. I suggested that he eat sweet potatoes but they aren't super easy to make then I read the ingredients of Udi's products and with the rice flour and potato flour, it really seems like it kind of is primal. What do you all think, is this considered Primal and do you think it is okay to eat a 1/2 a bagel each morning? Also, what would be other good carb choices for my Finance that aren't sugary? Thanks.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Well, I would suggest eating the most carbs for supper... it helps with sleep. Overall I'd say that the bagels are a safe starch but lacking in nutrition. So if he really wants them, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But one thing you could do is make sweet potatoes or baked potatoes the night before so you can fry them into a hash on the morning. I do that all the time.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I believe I saw the Udi's bagels contain corn syrup somewhere. Double check. I'm sure you can find Gluten Free breads without it.

Rice and potatoes are a lot cheaper.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    From here: Whole Grain Bread | Udi

UDIíS BEST BLEND (TAPIOCA & POTATO STARCH, BROWN RICE & TEFF FLOUR, MODIFIED TAPIOCA STARCH), WATER, NON-GMO VEGETABLE OIL (CANOLA OR SUNFLOWER OR SAFFLOWER), EGG WHITES, EVAPORATED CANE JUICE, TAPIOCA MALTODEXTRIN, TAPIOCA SYRUP, YEAST, FLAX SEED, XANTHAN GUM, SALT, BAKING POWDER (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, CORN STARCH, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CULTURED CORN SYRUP SOLIDS (NATURAL MOLD INHIBITOR), DRY MOLASSES, ENZYMES.
    Honestly, since I don't have gluten/grain issues, I'd rather just buy a loaf of sourdough bread with four ingredients that I recognize.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    "Finance?" is that what have when you get engaged to your accountant?

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I believe I saw the Udi's bagels contain corn syrup somewhere. Double check. I'm sure you can find Gluten Free breads without it.

Rice and potatoes are a lot cheaper.
    I never noticed the corn syrup. I will re-read the ingredients. I hope it doesn't have it because it is the best tasting g/f bread that I have ever had that is somewhat primal.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    I suggested that he eat sweet potatoes but they aren't super easy to make
    I rinse mine a bit, poke a few holes in and stick them in the microwave for about 8 minutes. Really easy actually.

Not sure on the blood sugar issues and adding carbs, but can't he just eat more per meal also? Other non-fruit primal carbs are dairy, potatoes, rice, starchy veg like squash.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    You can also boil sweet potatoes until soft. Use a peeler or knife to get the skin off, chop it up, boil in water until soft. Drain, mash, add whatever you want to it, and enjoy. There are plenty of primal starches that he can enjoy that should help with blood sugar regulation and weight control.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Honestly, since I don't have gluten/grain issues, I'd rather just buy a loaf of sourdough bread with four ingredients that I recognize.
    What do you ask the baker to be sure you are getting good sourdough bread? Do you ask them if its fermented or what? I assume your not talking about the crap I see on the shelf called sourdough right next to the wonderbread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    I rinse mine a bit, poke a few holes in and stick them in the microwave for about 8 minutes. Really easy actually.

Not sure on the blood sugar issues and adding carbs, but can't he just eat more per meal also? Other non-fruit primal carbs are dairy, potatoes, rice, starchy veg like squash.
    Neither one of us has had a microwave in the house for over 10 years and we avoid them like the plague, but I guess I could just bake a bunch of them on Sunday for the week. Having him eat more rice is a good idea also, it just seems like it is really easy to overeat but I guess its okay since he needs the carbs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast