Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Sugar a poison? page

canuck416 is offline Senior Member

Is Sugar a poison?

Primal Fuel
    If you have some time (about 50 minutes) this podcast is a very good opportunity to hear both sides of the debate. Here is a list of the scientists being interviewed.

Robert Lustig – University of California, San Francisco, author of Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease

James Ruff – Biologist post-doc at The University of Utah

John Sievenpiper – Knowledge Synthesis Lead of the Toronto 3D Knowledge Synthesis and Clinical Trials Unit, St. Michael’s Hospital, University of Toronto, Canada

Michael Moss – Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist at The New York Times, and author of Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us

Big Picture Science
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-20-2013 at 10:55 AM.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Will listen later, but I want to say that I have a massive problem when people associate sugar with words like "poison" , "toxic" , "evil" , etc. It's just alarmism and it's absolutely ridiculous.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Interesting that its gonna bring in a few different POV's. Will listen and report back on the winner

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Sugar a poison? I suppose that it depends on dosage as everything else, but sugar is definitely a poison to diabetics...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    National Geographic Aug 2013
    Sugar: Why We can't Resist it
    Sugar
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    The more you try to viral this, the more ridiculous it sounds. Keep pushing this agenda though, maybe one day what believe, eating massive doses of refined fats is normal and healthy will come true(not)

Also, top lol at the natgeo article
    Last edited by Derpamix; 08-20-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Timthetaco Guest
    Just for fun, I looked up the LD50 for table sugar. 29,700 mg/kg. So it would take about 2,673 grams of sugar to kill me.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 08-20-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    So 10 minutes in: They are talking about cupcakes, processed foods, and soda pop... all to average 22 teaspoons of sugar a day (like 90 grams of pure sugar...not talking just carbs here) for Americans. Breakdown of different types of sugars. Then suggesting that we reduce (not eliminate sugar). In fact the interviewer is talking like to amounts from 30 years ago, not paleo. Kind of standard "getting to know ya" stuff so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Interesting that its gonna bring in a few different POV's. Will listen and report back on the winner
    Don't think there is a winner just different perspectives although the clinical trials guy from Toronto has some interesting info. Also they do not bring in a Paleo or Primal perspective.
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-20-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    The more you try to viral this, the more ridiculous it sounds. Keep pushing this agenda though, maybe one day what believe, eating massive doses of refined fats is normal and healthy will come true(not)

Also, top lol at the natgeo article
    I wouldn't say this is anti sugar just anti sugar overload.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast