Thread: Broken Foot - Surgery Required - Need Some advice page

croí is offline Senior Member

Question Broken Foot - Surgery Required - Need Some advice

Primal Fuel
    Hey all,
    I broke my right Fibula at the ankle joint this past weekend. In order for the bone to be reset, and heal correctly, I'll have to have surgery which is scheduled for Friday afternoon. The surgery is only supposed to last an hours, and he said I'll be home by dinner time. Doc says I'll be in a split for the first couple of weeks to ensure my bones are healing correctly, and then he'll put me in a cast for another 4-6 weeks depending on how fast I heal.

Now I know the first week I'll be off of work, and he doesn't want me moving around at all. I am going to try to eat as clean as possible during this time to avoid gaining weight from sitting on my bum all day. Would it be ok to IF maybe? On a normal day I usually IF through the morning, and occasionally eat lunch (if I'm hungy). What I don't want to happen is eating cause I'm bored, and then gain all this weight from sitting and lack of exercise.

I'm thinking I can still try to concentrate on my upper and mid body - i.e. pull ups, crunches..? What do you think?

I have never had an injury like this, so when do you think I can start getting back on my feet? Not really exercising per say, but at least putting weight on, and walking around so as to not loose so much muscle in my leg..

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank!
    Last edited by croí; 08-20-2013 at 09:39 AM.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    One legged bicycling. You can find science articles on the percentage it retains muscle in the unused leg as well.

My opinion is that IFing would be a bad idea. Should a pregnant woman IF? No. You are growing something too.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

croí is offline Senior Member
    I'm not pregnant. I just broke my foot is all, and didn't want to gain any weight while being less active for the next few weeks.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by croí View Post
    I'm not pregnant. I just broke my foot is all, and didn't want to gain any weight while being less active for the next few weeks.
    I think what loafingcactus meant is that pregnant women do not IF because they are nourishing the baby growing inside them. You, while not pregnant, are growing/healing a broken bone and need the nutrients to promote this healing so IF may be ill-advised.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    I had foot surgery in February so I know exactly what you're looking at. Mine was PTTD with calcaneal osteotomy and achilles lengthening, two week splint and 6 weeks non weight bearing cast. Kam boot for 6 more. I'm still in PT -- recovery is loooong.

I was concerned too about weight gain because I had worked SO HARD and I was feeling stellar! Here's what I did:
    Week 1 was easy because of the pain meds ... Either sleepy or out of it, I ate mostly bone broth with lemon and meatloaf.
    Week 2 was more about choices because I felt pretty good most of the time but my digestion was off, probably due to the meds. I stayed pretty much zero carb and added a probiotic.
    After the first cast I had more mobility and routine, but when I tried to do arm work and such, I had no luck. My activity level was basically zero, so I tried to stay in ketosis as much as possible. Cast fittings, etc, caused discomfort ... I had 3 casts as my calf wilted away ... And discomfort meant less movement.
    Once I got the walking boot and gradual weight bearing, I added in more carbs but stayed pretty low.

Result? I lost a lot of muscle in my legs-- my injured leg measures 14 inches at the calf, vs 15.5 on my good leg, and it's been 6 months! My arms fared better due to wheelchair and crutches. I don't weigh myself, but my clothes felt the same if not a little looser. My waist is probably smaller ... And I learned that my body seems to like a high-protein eating style. Fun.

advice? make several batches of bone broth prior and freeze it. It's your new best friend and so important for healing those little ligaments and tendons!

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Croi,
    How did it go? I've been thinking about you ...