Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: your other half page

KiteKasia is offline Senior Member

your other half

Primal Fuel
    So how do you deal with your other half?

ok, what I really mean is how your relationship has been affected since you turned into primal lifestyle?
    Has the other half joined you?
    If not are they supportive?
    How is cooking working in your household?

No, I'm not writing a book on relationships and diets, neither I'm doing any research :-)

I'm relatively new to Primal and my other half has no interest and I sense he is rather sceptical and hoping this is just a phase that will pass rather sooner than later...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    My husband is happy to eat what I cook, and has no objections. He doesn't really invest in the lifestyle though, avoiding exercise and will eat crap food if it is provided (work). So, he's a passive supporter.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I have been very lucky as my husband has been totally supportive, it helped when he saw such good immediate results for me, and would fully embrace the lifestyle if he had more willpower LOL. He is very happy to eat primal with me at home and loves the food, but when he has lunch out he often indulges in the naughty stuff. He has noticed that he pays for it more and more as time goes on though.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    He eats what I put in front of him, though he's not ready to give up code red, fruit drink, or tortilla chips.

So no complains about lack of beans, rice and all grains? :-)
    Any need of cooking something extra to "enrich" primal meal?
    If you are the main grocery shopper, do you buy junk(-ish) food you used to just so the other half can still enjoy their popcorn, ice-cream, crisps, salty sticks, peanuts as before?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I've turned 2 ex-girlfriends primal. The trick was never to push it, but to eat well in front of them.

And always make them feel welcome to ask questions, and be patient with explanations (and don't be afraid to say you don't know the answer when you don't) but definitely don't shove any information down their throats.

Do your thing. Be successful. He'll come around or he won't. You'll have to decide whether you want to keep him in your life or not.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I've turned 2 ex-girlfriends primal. The trick was never to push it, but to eat well in front of them.

And always make them feel welcome to ask questions, and be patient with explanations (and don't be afraid to say you don't know the answer when you don't) but definitely don't shove any information down their throats.

Do your thing. Be successful. He'll come around or he won't. You'll have to decide whether you want to keep him in your life or not.
    Love it!

I'm not a pusher - it never works with anything.
    And I'm trying to be rather discrete but some people have managed to notice I eat differently and asked questions - most of them think I'm rather crazy, even though they say I look great at the same time! ;-)

I suppose it's easier to change girlfriends than a husband :-) Kicking him out of my life (specially over eating habits) it's not an option ;-) But I would prefer a happy life together...

rcutless is offline Junior Member
    Going primal has caused issues occasionally. My wife loves carbs and we both used to eat a lot of them (ex: Friday nights were always pizza nights). She hasn't tried going primal at all though she's done Atkins on and off in the past. Her main argument is that I never used to have problems eating some of the stuff I have no interest in eating now. She feels like I've abandoned the food related stuff we did together in the past (pizza and a movie every Friday, eating out regularly, etc). The problem comes down to the fact that she doesn't like change, is skeptical of the primal lifestyle and isn't really interested in taking a serious look at it. I was just hoping over time she would become more open to it but there hasn't been any progress on that front so far.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    My husband eats CW non-healthy stuff most of the time. On the weekends, we'll grill something both of us enjoy, or different things for each of us. He understands I won't eat crap, I understand he will. And yes, I do buy processed crap for him. If I didn't, he'd go out and buy it himself (and still does). I'm not going to change his eating and drinking habits, only he can do that. I guess you could say we agree to disagree on what we eat.

Quote Originally Posted by rcutless View Post
    Going primal has caused issues occasionally. My wife loves carbs and we both used to eat a lot of them (ex: Friday nights were always pizza nights). She hasn't tried going primal at all though she's done Atkins on and off in the past. Her main argument is that I never used to have problems eating some of the stuff I have no interest in eating now. She feels like I've abandoned the food related stuff we did together in the past (pizza and a movie every Friday, eating out regularly, etc). The problem comes down to the fact that she doesn't like change, is skeptical of the primal lifestyle and isn't really interested in taking a serious look at it. I was just hoping over time she would become more open to it but there hasn't been any progress on that front so far.
    Thanks for sharing and I totally understand how you feel as I can relate to that situation.
    We spend most of our summer (Mar/Apr -Oct) weekends away on the coast kitesurfing, SUPing or just walking dogs, but this coming weekend we are staying around and my hubby with excitement announced we will do our winter usual - beach, park and food market on Saturday followed by delicious stone oven backed pizza for lunch... We used to love doing it together - bring dogs for a really long walk on the beach, get really hungry, have pizza and then buy some other bits on farmers market and get home for a night with a movie and bottle or two of wine... (or go out with friends). I won't eat pizza now... it's not nice to be eating on your own specially when you know the other one is hungry too and there is no other edible option in the same place... (and I'm not too keen on having more than a glass of wine either...)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast