Thread: Portion Sizes page

danceswithducks is offline Junior Member

Portion Sizes

Shop Now
    Hey everyone, as you can see from my last few threads, I am very new at the PB, hence the stupid questions. Anyways, my next question is this, "how much and often do you typically eat"? Do you eat quite a bit and fill really, really full, or do you use portion sizes/control? I am not sure how much/often to eat on the PB. Thanks to everyone!

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    I dont portion control at all...I absolutely hate portion controlling...I eat til I'm full...not stuffed but definitely full. Eat when your hungry...forget the 6 small meals or eat every 2-3 hours crap..hungry = eat...not hungry = don't eat.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    yep yep, dont pig out either, but enjoy your food and be satisfied
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    If you really do the PB, you will notice that the nature of your hunger will change - you won't get shaky addict-like hunger any more and you'll have a lot more self-control because you are not addicted to carbs. You will know how much to eat once you have been at it for a few weeks because you'll be listening to your body more closely. There is no rule about when to eat.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you really do the PB, you will notice that the nature of your hunger will change - you won't get shaky addict-like hunger any more and you'll have a lot more self-control because you are not addicted to carbs. You will know how much to eat once you have been at it for a few weeks because you'll be listening to your body more closely. There is no rule about when to eat.
    +1

Exactly. That's the beauty of it.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Dances--welcome!

First, I recommend getting the book. The forum and site archives are great supplements, but can be hard to find exactly what youre looking for.

When you eat nutrient dense foods, such as in the primal eating style, you will notice that your body naturally eats a certain amount and then you simply stop because you are satisfied. Eating a carb dominated diet does not truly satisfy your hunger for proteins and fats, so you tend to gorge yourself.

However, if you are still new, giving yourself pre-determined portions is a great way to track your macronutrients, to make sure youre hitting your marks.

Im not sure about your age, activity level, gender, etc, so I cant really make a good suggestion on portion sizes. But most importantly, DO NOT limit your meat and fat portions because you think it is uhealthy. Eat what you think is normal for your body and hunger level. Forget the "deck of cards" rule for chicken.......try eating an entire half of a chicken! or an entire chicken! haha, you get the picture.

The only thing you should be limiting is carbs and sugar.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    And don't worry about getting it 'right' straight off. Do what you can and in time your body will adjust so your eating pattern may change.

BeachGrok is offline Member
    I only measured foods and recorded the portions in FitDay for the first month or two so that I could re-acquaint myself with the fat/protein/carb/calorie content in the foods that I was eating. Thirty pounds and four months later I rarely measure out food anymore. Along with the benefits and changes noted in the prior postings, the one thing I notice now is that when I have dinner guests over, they almost always go for seconds and sometimes thirds, whereas I stop eating when feeling "full" and that is often with just one plate of food. I am 6'4, 195 and workout and I still don't eat (need) as much food as my friends who are of smaller stature and activity level. Learning to eat until satiated and feeling comfortable doing so is a great benefit of eating primal!

JamieBelle is offline Member
    Well, I measure most of my portions. I feel it is necessary so that I don't take in too much over the course of the day. I have gotten a little better about "eyeballing" portion sizes, but it's just as easy for me to put my plate on the $20 food scale I got several months ago.

The main reason I do this is because I'm obsessive, haha, but also because while I don't get "shaky" hungry, I tend to eat everything on my plate even when I reach fullness. I don't want to take in more than 100 g of protein in a day (I weigh 105 and don't really need to lose weight), so it's important for me to measure out my meat and protein sources to be sure I don't go overboard. One of the things that surprised me when I became primal was how much protein is in, for example, 4 ounces of meat. I could easily eat an 8-ounce steak and overdo my protein for the day.

Likewise, I find it's good to measure out fats as well to be sure I get enough in. It's easy for me to think I've consumed 100g of fat in a day, when really I've only had like 80. When I measure, I don't make mistakes.

I hardly ever measure out vegetables. I will measure out fruits though.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I control portions so I can get enough protein and stuff.... for example, my daily diet is 12 eggs .5 lb of ground beef. Then on lifting days I add another .5 lb of some other sort of meat.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>