Thread: Which routine do y'all like better? page

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member

Which routine do y'all like better?

Shop Now
    Background: 26 y/o male In February I was 316 ponds, yesterday, 270...with most of that being in the last three months. Goals, lose the remaining 40 pounds, look good naked, and be strong and fit enough to excel in my everyday life. I no longer have any interest in powerlifting meets. I don't play any sports competitively. Just want to, like I said, excel in my everyday endeavors.

For the last two months I've been following a three day a week full body program, rotating A days and B days and following it with a short conditioning session (ten minutes of prowler pushing or tire flipping or etc). For the last two weeks, I've been going to the gym for short (under ten minute, conditioning sessions) Tuesdays and Thursdays. Also go on short hikes every Saturday and walk the dog every night. I'm ready for a change.

Next week, my last semester of college starts up, so I'll be using it as a deload week. After that, I'll go from baling hay six days a week to only three and coming late September/October, my only work will be substitute teaching on the days I don't have class, so my NEPA will drop a lot.

This all may be moot since I don't know yet if my commuting will allow for a four day a week schedule (my gym is a small, family ran place that doesn't have the longest hours. However...

Upper/Lower split. Monday-upper body horizontal; Tuesday-deadlift/pulling; Thursday-upper body vertical; Friday-Squat based. Explosive movement>max effort lifting>assistance work>core movement>conditioning.

Second one is something I saw in an interview with Glenn Pendlay, he didn't go into much detail, so I'll have to figure out the particulars myself. It's kind of like four full body workouts, but not very intense. Monday and Thursday, squats and pressing. Tuesday and Friday, pulling (everything from pullups to snatches).

What do y'all think?

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Those conditioning workouts aren't going to make a difference when compared to how much difference you're going to make from subtracting those 3 work days. You just can't compare. You simply can't burn enough calories in a workout. It's pointless to do if you're thinking of doing it for the purpose of fat loss, unless you're willing to workout A LOT such as how the endurance athletes do.

Decreasing calories does work though. And that's what you have to do if you want to see the fat come off. You can workout all you want, but if you're still eating too much you'll be chasing your tale.

I'm not saying not to exercise or anything like that. I'm just saying it can't make a difference significant enough in calories unless you're willing to do a lot of it. That's all. And one good question is, do you have the time. If not, there are still other ways to do it.

Last year for example, I tried an experiment because I was reading some of Drew Baye's literature from bay.com, and he claimed that he got down to about 3% for a bodybuilding contest while only doing one workout per week. So I decided to give it a shot. It worked and thank goodness it did, because I was working six 10 hour work days in an office job with an hour each way to and from work. I simply didn't have the time to workout more. I did it by cutting calories and I ended up losing about 10-12 lbs in 6 weeks.

So the lesson I learned was, if you maintain focus on calories, no matter what your activity level is, you will lose the fat. You can also maintain muscle mass while only doing one workout per week.

But the other lesson that I learned was, you still need more physical activity than that. Otherwise mentally you might feel like crap.

So it has become my belief that you need exercise for good health. And it does make some difference in calories. But if you want to lose weight, focus on calories and you can't go wrong.

The only time I ever had a problem with that methodology is when I was sedentary for the most part. It sucks because you have to drop calories down too low. And I hate that. I LOVE to eat!

Those conditioning workouts aren't going to make a difference when compared to how much difference you're going to make from subtracting those 3 work days. You just can't compare. You simply can't burn enough calories in a workout. It's pointless to do if you're thinking of doing it for the purpose of fat loss, unless you're willing to workout A LOT such as how the endurance athletes do.

Decreasing calories does work though. And that's what you have to do if you want to see the fat come off. You can workout all you want, but if you're still eating too much you'll be chasing your tale.

I'm not saying not to exercise or anything like that. I'm just saying it can't make a difference significant enough in calories unless you're willing to do a lot of it. That's all. And one good question is, do you have the time. If not, there are still other ways to do it.

Last year for example, I tried an experiment because I was reading some of Drew Baye's literature from bay.com, and he claimed that he got down to about 3% for a bodybuilding contest while only doing one workout per week. So I decided to give it a shot. It worked and thank goodness it did, because I was working six 10 hour work days in an office job with an hour each way to and from work. I simply didn't have the time to workout more. I did it by cutting calories and I ended up losing about 10-12 lbs in 6 weeks.

So the lesson I learned was, if you maintain focus on calories, no matter what your activity level is, you will lose the fat. You can also maintain muscle mass while only doing one workout per week.

But the other lesson that I learned was, you still need more physical activity than that. Otherwise mentally you might feel like crap.

So it has become my belief that you need exercise for good health. And it does make some difference in calories. But if you want to lose weight, focus on calories and you can't go wrong.

The only time I ever had a problem with that methodology is when I was sedentary for the most part. It sucks because you have to drop calories down too low. And I hate that. I LOVE to eat!

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm not stupid. I'm aware that they aren't going to do much in the way of fat loss. My diet is in check. I'm not trying to outwork a bad diet or burn off more so I can eat more. If anything, I actually consume too few calories..especially when you factor in physical activity..but I am satiated and rarely sore, which assume is because of the high amounts of offal, bone broth, and fermented foods I eat and their high nutrient density. I rarely feel extremely hungry, and when I do, I eat til I am satiated.

I lift because I enjoy being strong and getting stronger (just not priority number one anymore) and I do the conditioning work I do because in my twisted head, pushing a prowler or flipping a a 600-pound tire is fun for me. And the small amount of GPP they deliver is good, too.

I simply wanted people's opinions on which of the two strength program ideas they liked. This has nothing to do with fat loss. That comes from my diet. The lifting and conditioning are simply for fun and to not look like a holocaust victim when the clothes comes off.

I think you should be fine no matter which one you choose. Just pick which ever one you like the best. You'll keep the muscle. I wouldn't worry about it.