Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun fact page

wiltondeportes Guest

Fun fact

Out of a 260 gram beef roast, 190 grams are water.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    What's fun about that?! The beef part just looks even more high calorie, lol.

Actually, as an obsessive calorie counter, I have noticed that most meats and veggies lose about 25% of their weight when cooked. For greens, it's even more. Maybe it's valuable information to know that so many real foods have such a high water content.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    What's fun about that?! The beef part just looks even more high calorie, lol.

Actually, as an obsessive calorie counter, I have noticed that most meats and veggies lose about 25% of their weight when cooked. For greens, it's even more. Maybe it's valuable information to know that so many real foods have such a high water content.
    For one, it explains why beef jerky is so damn expensive.

For two, if I'm thirsty next time, maybe I'll just suck down a steak.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I appreciate both of your conclusions. lol
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    yeah,but its tasty water
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I feel cheated

Yogurt also appears to be about 50% whey.

M.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    just bear in mind we get a lot of our water from our food, so you'd only need to start drinking more if it there were lower quantities in the food

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    This is why aged beef is sometimes an acquired taste - with some of the water evaporated out, some folks find it a bit gamey.

It's also why (I'm guessing) that once we discovered cooking, we thought it was a hell of a good idea. Cooking dehydrates/removes water from the food, which makes the taste more concentrated. Grok weren't no fool.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Maybe it's valuable information to know that so many real foods have such a high water content.
    Definitely. Meal termination seems to be based on gut mass in animals and likely humans too which is one reason grain snacks, sugars/syrups, frying oils, and nuts/seeds can be hazardous--they're too light.

IMO it's worth noting that the water fraction increases shipping cost and decreases shelf life which is why retailers frown upon fresh food.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    It's also why (I'm guessing) that once we discovered cooking, we thought it was a hell of a good idea. Cooking dehydrates/removes water from the food, which makes the taste more concentrated. Grok weren't no fool.
    Well, there's always the Maillard reaction too. The brilliant, delicious Maillard reaction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast