Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Working out in ketosis: Primal Blueprint vs Stronglifts 5X5 page

NothingLasts is offline Member

Working out in ketosis: Primal Blueprint vs Stronglifts 5X5

Primal Fuel
    For somebody who is transitioning to a ketogenic lifestyle (not cyclical with carb refeeds, but all out keto) would you recommend following Mark's primal blueprint regimen or something along the lines of Stronglifts 5X5/Starting Strength?

I'm a 25yo 5'8 male, 155 pounds and around 10% body fat looking to put on a bit more muscle but mostly to lean out. I'm 2 weeks into transitioning from strict primal/paleo to full on ketosis (40g total carbs per day, 20g net carbs); I suspect i'll be all the way there in another week or so. I'm not sure whether to sign up for a gym and work on weighted squats/deadlifts 3X a week like the Stronglifts or Starting Strength programs would have it, or just continue following Mark's bodyweight protocol (LHT) 3X per week. If I choose the primal protocol, I will probably skip the sprints for a while (at least until i'm very well adapted to ketosis, as they seem to be very glycogen demanding)

What are your thoughts?

Here's a pic, unfortunately the only one I have right now is of me doing a wall handstand at work
    vsco_0.jpg

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    If being in ketosis is a priority, something like Stronglifts or Starting Strength probably wouldn't go very well. Personally, I wouldn't want to be doing multiple sets of heavy squats without some fruit or sweet potatoes in my belly . Mark's routine or a similar bodyweight program would be the better choice. You might be able to do a barbell program with slower weight increases. Do some research on 5/3/1.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Also, I have my own olympic barbell (6 foot) with 70 pounds added weight on it (for a total of 110, I believe)
    Would incorporating this into the LHT routine result in better gains/hypertrophy than working toward something like pistol squats, perhaps? Or should I stick with the unmodified LHT workouts?
    I think i'm tending toward just continuing the primal bodyweight thing... my ultimate goal is to get better at gymnastics/messing around at the ring park, anyway...I would just like to lean out a bit more and figured lean mass would be the best way to lose a little extra belly fat

Additionally, does anybody have any positive experience using kettlebells in ketosis, or are they too glycogen demanding?

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    If you are 25 and so thin why not just go all out now and do regular SS while eating more? I wish I had done that when I was younger. Just a thought... I understand everyone has different goals/desires.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    If you are 25 and so thin why not just go all out now and do regular SS while eating more? I wish I had done that when I was younger. Just a thought... I understand everyone has different goals/desires.
    ^ This.

Probably better to focus on a lean bulk rather than focus on fat loss at all.

Well the reason i'm going ahead with the nutritional ketosis experiment is that so far it has been wonderful to 1) alleviate my poor digestion/IBS that I continued to experience on standard paleo/moderate carb eating and 2) curb my cravings and constant preoccupation with food that I experience whenever I eat carbs (particularly fruit but really all carbs)
    I'm doing 40g total/20g net carbs per day now for the next few weeks, and then i'll up them to 50-100 total carbs but I think i'll remain in that zone pretty much indefinitely, as i'm really enjoying the way I feel on this way of eating.

What would you recommend for a lean bulk? Can I do this as effectively on a high fat low carb diet? I'm not looking to get huge, i'm mostly satisfied with my degree of lean mass now; I would just like to lean out/reveal the abs a bit more.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I would do a HIT workout 1-2x/week. Something like that from Body by Science or that Drew Bayes does would work.

High Intensity Training by Drew Baye - Bodybuilding, Nutrition, Fitness and Health

Seriously, low carb and HIT were made for each other. Less frequent workouts of high intensity and short duration that still provide a huge stimulus for muscle growth.

Thanks Neckhammer - I like that idea. Could a bodyweight HIT protocal be as effective, or must I sign up for a gym and use the machines for this sort of thing? That's what kept me from starting Body by Science...the only gym around here with Nautilus machines is realllly frickin expensive

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You might want to check out Peter Attia's The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. He's an expert on ketosis and does some crazy workouts--just search his site for "ketosis".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast