Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Working out in ketosis: Primal Blueprint vs Stronglifts 5X5 page 3

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by NothingLasts View Post
    OK, thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not so much interested in a big bulk-up as I am leaning out and reaping the non-performance/aesthetic advantages that high fat low/carb has shown me a taste of so far (improved digestion, appetite control, stable energy levels). So how about this for a revised game plan:

Low carb (<100g/day) high fat (~150-200g) on rest days (4 days/week)
    Higher carb, lower fat (~150g) on workout days (bodyweight/gymnastics work, thrice weekly) with the majority of those carbs coming from the PWO meal
    Protein constant at ~150g/day (1g per pound bodyweight)

Can I remain lean, perhaps even lean out a bit more on this plan, or will the PWO carbs cause midsection bloating? I'm not looking to pack on a load of muscle mass, but rather to maintain what I have and to lean out a tad more (reveal abs). Think a gymnast's physique, not a bodybuilders. And I really like what the high fat part of this experiment has done for me so far in terms of better energy levels/appetite control/improved digestion so I don't want to be doing 200 grams of carbs daily; i'd much rather cycle in and out of a fat burning metabolism if possible.

Please critique; particularly ChocoTaco, who has provided many kcal for thought
    if you can't see your abs, you're nowhere near 10% bodyfat

Body Fat Percentage Pictures of Men & Women - BuiltLean
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

NothingLasts is offline Member
    Leida - When you say under 30g carbs, do you mean total or net? For the past few weeks I have been around 40g total/20g net.

not on the rug - Wow, that's an enlightening surprise...I guess that means that I'm somewhere between 15-20% BF, then!

2013-08-20 15.32.56.jpg2013-08-20 15.33.13.jpg

And my cheap calipers were reading 10%...such trash

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    If you're craving carbs all the time...there may be a reason. I was until I tracked my food intake for a few days and saw that I was way undereating, like 1,000 cals below BMR, on a regular basis. So now I'm eating more and feeling better and not really craving anything. I don't shoot for ketosis though--I eat bananas, strawberries, apples, potatoes, sweet potatoes, salads, carrots, onions, broccoli and cauliflower, green beans all the time. Not tons, but regularly...it's all so good, especially the stuff I grow myself, and I like knowing I'm eating nutritiously.

If you don't provide your body with the nutrition it needs to do demanding lifts or handle other stresses in life, it will win (over your desire for aesthetics or your desire to push yourself beyond sustainable levels). You'll develop injuries, lose energy, etc. Been there. Not fun.

I've been eating between 2500 and 2900 kcal/day and have not been craving/obsessively preoccupied with food, like I was, since I cut the carbs. It appears so far to be the psychologically healthier decision. So far my appearance, focus, digestive health and sleep appear to have improved. There are also plenty of active folks who have great success eating this way on a fairly long term basis. I am, however, fully prepared to drop out of LC if I begin noticing any of these problems you all mention.

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, you can do bodyweight. In fact thats why I linked to Drew's site. He has some bodyweight routines in there and isn't nearly as machine focused as some HIT proponents. Its more about the principles. Seriously just surf his stuff. Lots of good info and its free!
    Yes.. if there's one thing I've learnt from watching prison movies, it's that bodyweight exercises...(especially while in solitary)... is more then enough to get you uber buff enough to start taking names and kicking arse when you get out!

But on a serious note, thanks Neckhammer for the link as there's info on there that I've been looking for
    I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
    Yes.. if there's one thing I've learnt from watching prison movies, it's that bodyweight exercises...(especially while in solitary)... is more then enough to get you uber buff enough to start taking names and kicking arse when you get out!

But on a serious note, thanks Neckhammer for the link as there's info on there that I've been looking for
    Very true. Just adjust leverage.

What do you guys think about doing low carb/high fat 5 days a week for the non-gaining benefits that I had mentioned (improved digestion, energy level, mood, leanness etc) and employing a twice weekly carb refeed on LHT days (125g preworkout, 125g post, lower fat of course. Probably all in berries and Okinowan purple sweet potatoes, one food that I do sorely miss since beginning this ketogenic stint...)
    Something along the lines of a TKD (targeted ketogenic diet)
    Are the low carb rest day periods of the week sufficiently long enough for me to slip back into a ketogenic state?

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    What do you guys think about doing low carb/high fat 5 days a week for the non-gaining benefits that I had mentioned (improved digestion, energy level, mood, leanness etc) and employing a twice weekly carb refeed on LHT days (125g preworkout, 125g post, lower fat of course. Probably all in berries and Okinowan purple sweet potatoes, one food that I do sorely miss since beginning this ketogenic stint...)
    Something along the lines of a TKD (targeted ketogenic diet)
    Are the low carb rest day periods of the week sufficiently long enough for me to slip back into a ketogenic state?
    you'll have to experiment with this type of re-feed and let us know. personally, I vary my carbs depending on my workouts. on days I bike, kayak, hike, or do any other sort of activities, I go normal protein, higher fat, and lower carb. on days I lift, box, or do hiit stuff, I go normal protein, higher carb and lower fat. it works for me. personally, I can't do any sort of intense exercise without a reasonable amount of carbs in my body that day.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Additionally, does anybody have any positive experience using kettlebells in ketosis, or are they too glycogen demanding?
    I've tried this and it was a disaster. Ever since then I eat enough carbs in the form of fruit, white rice and potatoes. You do need carbs if you do actual strength training with kettlebells. You can probably get away with very low carb if you only do conditioning work, but I still wouldn't recommend it. That said, it's your body, so why not try it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast