Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New baby destroying my sleep, suggestions? page

Warmbear is online now Senior Member

New baby destroying my sleep, suggestions?

Primal Fuel
    Heya, well 7 months in and this new parasite is destroying my sleep and my sanity and any hopes it seems of weight loss. We co-sleep and my wife is breast feeding so the kid is staying in our room.

I dont sleep well, she often does not even start to think about sleeping before midnight, kicks in her sleep and keeps waking me up or prevents me falling asleep at all which leaves me feeling angry, tired and frustrated.

In the middle of the night I find my mind races as I get more frustrated and I cant stop it from revisiting every dumb thing I ever did, every single time anyone has pissed me off and everything I resent about the wife and baby..... all at 2 am.

I am beginning to feel like I am going to loose my mind if this keeps up and I dont know what to do. On top of which I have started having to go pee 3 times a night no matter what I do.

Suggestions are welcome, somebody tell me how to fix this short of duct taping the parasite to a hanger and leaving her in the front closet.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

laurathegoth is offline Member
    Could you sleep somewhere else? Babies wake during the night-it's normal and by co-sleeping you probably get woken less than if your wife had to get up every time baby wakes.

Warmbear is online now Senior Member
    No room to sleep elsewhere unforkunately. My teen son is sleeping in the other bed. I am thinking magnesium citrate as a supplement to at least let me relax enough to shut down.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Get an air mattress for your bedroom. They are comfortable. I feel sorry for the baby, it's not her fault; she's an infant.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    You really need to find somewhere else to sleep. On the couch? On the floor (air mattress) in the living room? Where will the baby sleep when she's older? How long will she stay in your bed? You need to get your sleep.

We did co-sleeping/with breastfeeding for our kids and my husband was sleeping in the living room on occasions, when he had a few bad nights in a row then come back and be ok for a while.

You appear to be at the end of your rope, wich is very understandable with a baby and no sleep and you absolutely need to change something. Having those toughts at 2 am is not good for your relationship/family.

Can't you use a small crip (Mose basquet) right next to your bed? If the baby is not between you two, you will not get kicked. We did a small crib at first, then we put our mattress directly on the floor and our kids were sleeping on one side, I was in the middle and my husband on the other side. There was no danger for the baby to fall since the matress was on the floor. We put the bed back together when the kids were out of it.

Hope you can find something that works!

Good luck, it won't last forever, she'll get big before you know it.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    +1 on sleeping elsewhere. The couch, presumably, since you said your other child occupies the other bedroom.

And- if there's any possibility of your wife pumping and storing milk maybe offer to alternate with her. I can only imagine she's in a similar boat. If you think she might appreciate that. Not ideal for either of you but better to sleep well every other night than not at all.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Eh, I've raised 2 sons with one more due next month. The wife breastfed quite frequently in bed obviously but we worked out a certain method where she'd leave the room to feed/fuss over them and I'd up sticks so she could lay in as needed for sanity reasons. Plus this is a really good time to start drinking more.

There ain't no easy way around this but the good news is that the chronic sleeploss will make you forget how terrible it was at times. Hell, in 6 month's time you'll be offended at the notion that your kid was ever a handful at that age.

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Do you already wear earplugs and a face mask? If not, I'd try them. I also second sleeping on the couch or living room floor. That way, you can go to bed earlier--just kick everyone out of the living room. Turn on a fan, too, for white noise.

Here's a video for you:

Remember that it's natural to get annoyed with kids and it doesn't make you evil. You just have to be able to laugh about the situation or you'll go insane (said as someone who has taught preschoolers and toddlers for 6 years, and will have her own crying baby in about a month!)

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Honestly if you are at that much at the end of your rope you need to sit down with your wife and talk about possible solutions. When mine were small I did use a moses basket by the bed, so I could just reach over and pick them up or pat them if they were disturbed, but I did get them in their own rooms as soon as they started to be able to go more through the night without needing a feed. No way it was anything like 7months though, more like 7 weeks. It was a long time ago so I am sure my memory of it is going to be a bit off. Co sleeping is all and well if everyone is happy with it, but needs to be worked out somewhat if not. I would be a pretty nasty person, and a zombie if I didn't get my sleep.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    7 months seems like a long time to be co sleeping, let alone breast feeding, but that's just my opinion. If it were my baby, it would at the very least have it's own crib, likely it's own room, at this age. And probably would have the baby eating solids, maybe I would still breastfeed, I don't know, but I don't think a 7 month old needs boob milk twice a night. But that's just my opinion.

Clearly it is making you miserable, so I suggest either get a larger bed (if you're not already in a king) or go sleep on the couch. Or the floor. Or a motel. Worst comes the worst, get the teenage son on the couch in exchange for some extra allowance $$, so you can have his bed. You can't be nice to anyone else if you're miserable, and this is making you miserable, and I don't blame you.

But when it all comes down to it, you need to talk to your wife in a non-confrontational way about this. 7 months is a LONG time to get no sleep, and I don't care how heavy a sleeper you are, a baby kicking you constantly will make for a bad night. 7 months, and the bed will only get smaller, as the baby gets bigger.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast