Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New baby destroying my sleep, suggestions? page 4

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Dunno if anyone mentioned it but you peeing three times a night is a major sign of cortisol and adrenalin spikes which isnt surprising since im guessing you are low carb dieting while trying to raise a 7 month old.

My advice, start eating plenty of sugar and a bit of salt before bed, this will blunt the stress hormones and you shouldnt wake up to pee. I also second sleeping on the floor, buy a cheep wool mattress or something. Get off the low carb though dude, its only making your stress way worse.

Btw i went through this exactly. Coslept with our kid until over a year and i did it on VLC, i can for sure say it was the worst time of my life physically. My body ached, couldnt sleep, started having OCD tendencies and like you lots of anger and resentment thoughts and i had to pee all the time.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Yeah the parasite bit is a joke. We all refer to her as the zombie parasite. I dont have an issue withcosleeping but I am a very light sleeper and wake a lot. I am not angry at wife or child or resent them at all. I wake up my mind racing in a million directions as if somebody else has the remote and is channel surfing my mind... This makes me crazy and I get angry, not at anything just angry.

DW has moved the baby to her other side and we have a co sleeper which the rugrat is learning to use more and is starting to sleep more of the night. We dont have room for sleeping elsewhere frankly so that's not really an option.

The getting up to pee is a problem I cant figure out though and once woken up the channel surfing starts. I am not low carb, lowish is more like it, I dont eat starchy foods every day but I dont not eat them either. I also eat a lot of veggies so I figure I have enough. I dont measure or count, just an overview eyeball guesstimate.

I recognize that at this time of sleep debt and stress I wont be loosing much weight and I am not really worrying about it so my carbs are somewhat higher than normal. I figured the slightly higher carbs would offset some of the stress of everything. Too much carbs sadly gives me the high pressure gas powered swooshs so I cant go too high.

The issue with peeing is that I have to pee a lot as in volume every time. Not like a uti where you need to pee all the time but no volume. i dont drink more than I need but where does all this come from?
    Last edited by Warmbear; 08-24-2013 at 09:13 AM.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    could be enlarged prostate.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    could be enlarged prostate.
    2 months ago the doc said no. this started shortly after I went paleo and has continued till now, almost 2 years. Could it just be being 46? Could it be cortisol related?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Indications all point to yes. Is it dark in your room? Tried incandescent red light? It doesn't seem like you're holding on to electrolytes. Racing heart when you wake up?

Try GABA, niacinamide, gelatin, and some more sugar and of course salt
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    We coslept with our babies for part of the first year. We transitioned both of them at different ages for different reasons. For a while, they slept part of the night in their own rooms, and then back to the big bed in the morning with momma when daddy left for work.

Cosleeping only works when it works for everybody. You're a light sleeper. Your offspring is a light sleeper. You all need to find a system that works for you.We were fortunate that our kids inherited our love of sleep. They're teens and tweens now, and sleep like the dead. While I think all this "sleeping through the night" as infants thing is bullshit, we put a huge priority on sleep and the whole sleep routine. Our daily schedules and social lives revolved around nap time and bed time, which sounds like a pain in the ass, but knowing that everyone was going to get the right amount of quality sleep made that period of our lives manageable. HOW you prepare your baby (and yourselves) for bed time in the hours leading up to bed time is important.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    We prioritize sleep, outdoor time, and food. It does bother people that we can't do things because we are doing these other things. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Indications all point to yes. Is it dark in your room? Tried incandescent red light? It doesn't seem like you're holding on to electrolytes. Racing heart when you wake up?

Try GABA, niacinamide, gelatin, and some more sugar and of course salt
    the room is not perfectly dark, hard to do short of boarding up the windows. I have warm incandescent bulbs, f.lux and try to stay away from the computer after 9 pm. Also the wife does not believe in the absolute dark thing and wants a nightlight in the hallway so she can see if she needs to get up.

I do sometimes get the racing heart, pounding heartbeat I can feel all over and I wake up often head-achy.

I am taking magnesium oxide at the moment and it does wind me down well in the evening. I drink a lot of homemade bone broth and enjoy good sea salt on everything but my coffee.

What do you mean sugar? as in white sugar? how much and when? I avoid sugars as much as possible.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Any sugar is fine. If you don't want white, you can do honey, blackstrap molasses, fruit, etc; doesn't need to be a lot, just to calm you down before bed and to let you hold on to your electrolytes. GABA is wonderful for that, specifically with niacinamide and niacinamide also stimulates GABA production. After those two, I find it really, really hard to think too much so I usually crash out immediately.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Rolled up beach towels work well too between partners or the wall.

Firm enough to absorb the kicking and NOT anything anyone is going to smother in.

My husband and I haven't slept in the same bed for 9 years and honestly, we don't care either.

We will again (maybe if he stops snoring, EVER) when the kids move out or grow a pair before
    then, but for now, sleep is more important then sleeping in the same bed together cuz it's whats
    expected of a married couple.

Bullocks.

If you wanna go to the boneyard, separate bedrooms are great for late night rendezvous!!!
    Omg..you never cease to make me laugh water out my nose.

Mine is 28. She is so beautiful and grown up. I want her to be that baby that kept me up at night. I want to go back to those teen years when her only job was how to figure out how to convince me "yes..her parents will be there".

I adore her as a grownup, but I would go back to baby stage in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast