Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New baby destroying my sleep, suggestions? page 2

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Based on my experience, I'm having a hard time understanding why this is so hard on the dad.

With our first, he was in a cradle next to our bed and then moved into a crib in another room as soon as he was sleeping through the night. Once he was out of the crib and into a toddler bed, he was in our bed from 3am on, until his sister was born when he was 7. The sleeping arrangement was always kid, mom, dad. Dad was blissfully unaware there was another body in the bed, despite it being a double.

With our 2nd, she was in our bed (king-sized) from the get-go. The arrangement was baby bed rail, baby, mom, dad, 7yo brother most nights. Mom staked out enough real estate to give baby plenty of breathing room. She nursed unresticted until 18 mos, cut off at night until 2 and then cut off altogether when I had to go on antibiotic for Lyme disease, but still was in our bed until we bribed her with a princess bed at age 5. I found nursing while co-sleeping 1000x easier than having the baby arm's reach away and DH was generally oblivious.

Are you disturbed because you're a super light sleeper or because feeding is a huge production? For a dad to complain is so far outside my personal experience of small babies, that I'm not sure where to even begin.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    v
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    7 months seems like a long time to be co sleeping, let alone breast feeding, but that's just my opinion. If it were my baby, it would at the very least have it's own crib, likely it's own room, at this age. And probably would have the baby eating solids, maybe I would still breastfeed, I don't know, but I don't think a 7 month old needs boob milk twice a night. But that's just my opinion.
    My kid is 26 months and we still co-sleep. I would never put her in a room by herself until she's ready. But that's just me.

To the OP:
    Co-sleeping makes breastfeeding so much easier for the mother. The best way to get sleep is just sleep in another room or the living room. That's what my husband does. Lets me breastfeed in peace, he gets his sleep, all 3 of us are happy.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I agree with others... Even sleeping on the floor in another room is better than your current arrangement!

My babies were all in a crib in our room until about 6 months when they were moved into their own room in a bigger cot.

I can't imagine trying to share a bed with an infant! For starters it would make me paranoid about suffocating them, and also it would take up more room. But I don't think it's a problem when people do... Except when they get no sleep!! Geez I find it hard enough to sleep with my husband as I'm such a light sleeper! If I could, I'd totally have my own room!

Sharpie2012 is offline Junior Member
    Personally I'd be pushing for the kid to be transitioned to a crib at this point, but that's obviously something you and your wife have to figure out. We didn't co-sleep, but at 2 months I was pushing for him to be transitioned out of our room and into the nursery we spent so much money on. I'd also check with your ped., but at 7 months I'm pretty sure you don't have to do a night feeding anymore, just more volume during the other feedings (particularly the one before and after bed). I think we stopped the night feeding around 4 months, and my coworker (who has a 5 month old) has also stopped night feedings. So breast feeding doesn't have to be a factor in this decision unless you and your wife aren't comfortable with stopping the night feeding for some reason.

Anyway, I gained 20 lbs over the 7 months of restless sleep (and limited gym time, and eating like crap), but have managed to lose it fairly quickly thanks in part to primal eating. I'm sure no matter how you approach things with your sleep, you'll be back on track in a matter of months. Good luck to you, and congrats on the child.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    My eldest is eleven and hasn't slept through the night yet.

For those that said "it'll get better", THEY LIED!

Not trying to give you hopes of doom, I'm just saying.

Also, if co-sleeping keeps the baby sleeping longer and less
    wake ups, do it until they move out.

AskMeHowIknowItWorks.....

Julia

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    My eldest is eleven and hasn't slept through the night yet.

For those that said "it'll get better", THEY LIED!

Not trying to give you hopes of doom, I'm just saying.
    That's how I was. I never took naps, and I didn't "sleep though the night" until I was three... and by "slept through the night" I mean once I fell asleep I stayed asleep. It would take me 2-3 hours to fall asleep. I hated it. Bed time was 8:00pm... and I would lie there in bed, in the dark, until often after 11:00pm, unable to fall asleep. Not fun! It wasn't until I was about 15 that I would fall asleep after less than an hour of lying in bed.

I fully expect my little one to give me no sleep for many, many years once he/she comes out next month. I mean, as it is, I can't get any sleep because Belly Baby is making me so nauseous still. I guess I'm just getting prepared. Sigh.

Aldergirl,

I was the same way too.

Sigh.

However, I bet before 15, whenever you woke up, you didn't go into your mother's
    bedroom, wake her up and say "Mommy, I cant sleep".

For f*cks sake, nothing pisses me off more.

I DON'T CARE if you can't sleep, I can, now bugger off already.

E L E V E N Y E A R S

I was the biggest militant bitch, too, when Baby Jesus was born - he was to be
    IN his crib from birth. No co-sleeping, no rocking chair sleeping, no nothing.

If you wanna sleep, get in the crib.

It worked until he was 2, and then the night terrors started.

Into the spare room we went, but I'd sneak out later. He'd wake up
    and back I'd go.

I'd suffered from seeing spirits (yes, ghosts) from 18months on, so no way
    in hell was I going to pull what MY mother did, which was to close her door
    and LOCK IT, so I couldn't get in to be comforted.. grrr. Not bitter, not bitter,
    not bitter!

So I started sleeping with him in a queen bed at that point until the cows came home.

Well, really until maybe four, then we switched to twin beds in one room and there
    we are today.

It sounds absolutely kooky and majorly wrong on SO MANY LEVELS. I know this! I live it!

But man, sleep is more important than anything else in the world, and I DO KNOW for a
    fact, ONE DAY, he will NOT want his mommy in his room anymore.

But until then, I couldn't give six shits what people think or what's right or wrong, I just
    want to sleep. I'm pleading to the gods. Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

And I get it.

So there.

Julia

laurathegoth is offline Member
    Some really poor advice here- FYI (just in case you listen to some of it) breast feeding babies need milk when they need milk. 7 months is still a tiny baby-milk is the most important nutrition until 1 year old (and amazing for much longer).
    Co-sleeping will enable your wife to give your child the very best start, with the least fuss during the night.
    But you do need your sleep too, and I suspect you are a light sleeper? Could you move your bed so that baby goes between wall and wife? Hence no kicking? Other than that I agree with those who suggested air bed.
    No child breast feeds till they are a teenager, nor do they co-sleep that long. They are small for such a short time really, please try to remember that

Eta: there is some excellent advice here too, you need to read these replies with a sensible head on I think. Not everything works for everyone, but often compromise, doing things for short term (2 years out of 18 is short term honestly!), can be best for everyone involved.
    Last edited by laurathegoth; 08-20-2013 at 02:01 PM.

And another thing, if someone could have showed me a movie of my
    child ACTUALLY growing up, what a great kid he was going to turn out to
    be, and that everything was going to really be ALL RIGHT, man, I would
    have relaxed on my stress about EVERYTHING.

When you're in the throws of babydom and toddlerhood, it seems
    INTERMINABLE.

You'll see people in the grocery store that say "oh, it all goes by so fast".

NO IT DOESN'T!!!!!

It's FOR-E-VER!

Infancy - forever! Toddlerhood - forever!

Never.Seem.To.Get.Older. even though you SEE them
    getting older.

Only now, with my kids being 8 and 11 has the realization set in
    that yes, NOW it's going by fast.

My 11yo in the 6th grade? WHAT? Middle school? Who? What? When? HOW?!?!?

This summer it hit home so bad, it was actually the first summer that I wasn't
    chomping at the bit for them to go BACK to school. We had the best summer ever
    even though we went basically NOWHERE (beach doesn't count!) and did virtually
    nothing.

Loved every.minute.of.it. and every second I spent with them, which was 24/7 for 64
    days.

So anyway, all I can say to new parents is to relax. It seems like forever at first, and it
    really is, but there WILL be a point for all of you where it will kick in that it isn't, and you
    can't get the past back, so enjoy it while you can.

They DO grow up, they really, really do.

I have proof.

Sniff!

Julia

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by laurathegoth View Post
    Some really poor advice here- FYI (just in case you listen to some of it) breast feeding babies need milk when they need milk. 7 months is still a tiny baby-milk is the most important nutrition until 1 year old (and amazing for much longer).
    Co-sleeping will enable your wife to give your child the very best start, with the least fuss during the night.
    But you do need your sleep too, and I suspect you are a light sleeper? Could you move your bed so that baby goes between wall and wife? Hence no kicking? Other than that I agree with those who suggested air bed.
    No child breast feeds till they are a teenager, nor do they co-sleep that long. They are small for such a short time really, please try to remember that
    Rolled up beach towels work well too between partners or the wall.

Firm enough to absorb the kicking and NOT anything anyone is going to smother in.

My husband and I haven't slept in the same bed for 9 years and honestly, we don't care either.

We will again (maybe if he stops snoring, EVER) when the kids move out or grow a pair before
    then, but for now, sleep is more important then sleeping in the same bed together cuz it's whats
    expected of a married couple.

Bullocks.

If you wanna go to the boneyard, separate bedrooms are great for late night rendezvous!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast