Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Health and Fitness Industry Is Dead (And That Includes You, Paleo) page

canuck416 is offline Senior Member

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Yup, he posts here too once in a while. It fairly correct. Its not that the knowledge isn't available. Its the psychological and/or addictive aspects pervasive in our society that make people not put that knowledge to use. I gave up long ago on "convincing" anybody that they should care for themselves. That is a conclusion one has to come to on their own before I can help them these days. Sure at one point when I was all naive and gunghoe I thought everyone actually WANTED to be healthy and just didn't know how! Well I was way off. Its sad but true. Oh, you can still work to "transform" people as he says, but that person still has to have an inherent WANT to transform. You can not and will not ever instill that WANT in them, no matter how much you try.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-19-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Loved the paper, in fact was thinking the same things for a while: why the heck all those people who have the same idea at heart fight over fruit or dairy or beans or what not when the ideal is the same?

Loved the Manifesto as well, printing it atm actually.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yup, he posts here too once in a while. It fairly correct. Its not that the knowledge isn't available. Its the psychological and/or addictive aspects pervasive in our society that make people not put that knowledge to use. I gave up long ago on "convincing" anybody that they should care for themselves. That is a conclusion one has to come to on their own before I can help them these days. Sure at one point when I was all naive and gunghoe I thought everyone actually WANTED to be healthy and just didn't know how! Well I was way off. Its sad but true. Oh, you can still work to "transform" people as he says, but that person still has to have an inherent WANT to transform. You can not and will not ever instill that WANT in them, no matter how much you try.
    Agreed. The article is correct in saying that providing information will not result in weight loss, if that's your goal. It seems as though his theory is that a more fundamental and holistic approach to improving the health of the whole individual is what is required so that "issues" that are blocking change are dealt with and they will want to change. The illusive key to unlocking the desire and will to change will be the next magic bullet in the health and fitness industry.

Prochaska's - Stages of Readiness to Change - is a good starting point to understanding where you are in this process.

Stages of Readiness for Change | Taking Charge of Your Health & Wellbeing
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-19-2013 at 12:13 PM.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    of people i know well and those i know only in passing, i don't know anybody who eats like i do. however, i can't even count how many i know who lap up "the biggest loser."

as i sit here eating a dish of pan-seared, free-range, organic chicken livers...

sure, the information is "out there", but it's not even within a glimmer of approaching being disseminated to, nor accepted by, the mainstream. regardless of observing my n~1, then listening to me about my methods, my friends all still go low-cal, low-fat to lose weight. then rinse and repeat. what i do is "too hard."

accepting a shift in life-long adherence to cw is a huge hurdle -- one which not many are capable of doing. it means they were "wrong" for decades, casting further doubt on an already shaky self-image. not everybody is willing to be humbled in order to embrace effective change. how many want to be a philosophical outlier? smokers now know smoking is bad, but it took many decades for the smoking paradigm to change. right now we remain stuck with special-k bars, low-fat yoplait and zumba being sooooooooooooooo good for you.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

See, that's exactly the point the article is making, that quibbling over lower fat vs higher fat, Zumba vs barbell. As long as food is natural and doesn't harm you, it doesn't matter if it's liver and spinach or oranges and shrimps or beans and quark. As long as movement is joyful and natural, it doesn't matter if it's deadlift or Zumba.

Well, that's what I think anyway.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Agreed. The article is correct in saying that providing information will not result in weight loss, if that's your goal. It seems as though his theory is that a more fundamental and holistic approach to improving the health of the whole individual is what is required so that "issues" that are blocking change are dealt with and they will want to change. The illusive key to unlocking the desire and will to change will be the next magic bullet in the health and fitness industry.

Prochaska's - Stages of Readiness to Change - is a good starting point to understanding where you are in this process.

Stages of Readiness for Change | Taking Charge of Your Health & Wellbeing
    He is correct in what is "needed", however nobody has come up with a delivery system acceptable to the masses. I mean we are talking in terms of healing emotional scars and basically fixing peoples BELIEF systems. That is a daunting prospect. And as a trainer/practitioner in anything other than the psychological field you are left again with simply pointing out or referencing good information for the individual to follow up on. Unless you're Paul Check usually people arent hiring you as their spiritual, emotional, and physical practitioner all in one.... and suggesting such a relationship could be met with mixed result. I'm not saying there should not be or is not a place for such a practitioner. There is! But you are back to the 1% or less of people actually searching for such a person. Bah, I'm coming off kinda negative on this. I don't mean to be. The problem is I know the positive changes awaiting for people who will just take the plunge, but so few actually put thought into action.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    See, that's exactly the point the article is making, that quibbling over lower fat vs higher fat, Zumba vs barbell. As long as food is natural and doesn't harm you, it doesn't matter if it's liver and spinach or oranges and shrimps or beans and quark. As long as movement is joyful and natural, it doesn't matter if it's deadlift or Zumba.

Well, that's what I think anyway.
    perhaps my emphasis is misconstrued? sorry, if that's the case here. most people i know still think that starving themselves on yoplait and lean cuisines while banging out hours of crazy cardio are the way to lose weight. none of which has anything to do with whole foods or natural movements.

"getting healthy"? "healing the body"? rarely come into the equation.

i had NO idea how broken i was til i made very serious changes in diet, movement, sleep and outlook.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Familiarity and apathy are overwhelmingly. People will cling to an abusive parent or partner or politician and scream if a third party tries to separate them.

I never initiate health conversations face to face but people start them with me. I'll give plain simple answers about why I feel some choices are better than others without explicitly recommending them and yet they quickly supply me with rationalization as if my opinion matters. "That's lovely for you but it would never work in my case because...
    ...time and money"
    ...age/gender/genes"
    ...for some reason I'm tired/stressed today"
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

I dunno, I generally find that folks around here are very receptive to the ideas. But ideas need proof. Alas, I cannot demonstrate a more desirable body than a girl who runs on elliptical, then on the treadmill, then lifts a few 5 lbs dumbbells, then eats bread or cake. People respond to show rather than tell. For me, Staci's story was a turning point. Unfortunately, I do not have anything impressive to show for many years of adherence. "That's how I look like and I do this", can easily be counteracted by many examples of those who follow CW but have a better appetite control so they look better than I do in my age (and have more kids, etc). In fact, I think most people would think that I looked far better on CW than I do now.

So, i do not think I am the right person to promote Paleo lifestyle. Or indeed maybe even live it... what I do want is to enjoy my life. And lose weight, but, oh, well. I have an overabundance of the information, and I still do not know how.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-19-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast