Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Health and Fitness Industry Is Dead (And That Includes You, Paleo) page 3

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Not really trying to pick on ya old boy, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. You have left out of your statement above the most important thing we can apply to our modern diet/life that our ancestral history can teach us. How we ate food. We still eat like jenny craig sold to us in the 80's, daily calorie deficits and specific macro worshiping still reign supreme.

If you look at all the different groks all over the world, the types of food they ate varied greatly (from Kitavin's to Inuits). what they all had in common (that we don't) was a great variation in food availability, their calories and macro's varied greatly on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis. We have failed grok by letting calorie restricting, eating specific macro ratio's and eating in "daily" cycles, rule our health. It's impact is massive and everybody has missed it. We emulate everything else grok did, sleeping, sun, exercise, play, food types.
    Your are correct, I should have mentioned this. I continually vary my eating patterns and exercise patterns, I IF several times a week and sometimes do a complete fast for a day or two every once in awhile. Also continually vary my macros and eat seasonally as well, right now there is lots of fruit available and have been gorging on peaches, apples, pears, plums and blackberries.
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-19-2013 at 06:15 PM.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the linked article says almost the opposite. We are a nation of wounded, emotionally crippled children, grasping at any pathetic thing that feels like love. Fake food has been engineered to feel good. It's cheap and easy and seems like it ought to fill that dark hole inside. Can you imagine if our culture was as cavalier about heroin as it is about super yummy fake food? And then when people look for something to save them from what they've done to their bodies, they are swamped with equally unsatisfying fake "healthy" foods. If they turn to that and chronic cardio, they will get plenty of support for their endeavor, but if they look elsewhere, they will be nearly alone. I'm not surprised so many people feel hopeless.

My life changed completely when I realized that my bingeing behavior was as much a way to punish myself as it was to comfort myself. It's a hard thing, though, to accept that the way you treat yourself is as vicious and ugly as the meanest thing anybody ever said to you. A diet with a bunch of rules (and I include PB in this) is a lot easier, emotionally, than facing what's inside you. The fact that hardly anybody can fix their relationship with food from the outside is borne out by the abysmal success rate of dieting.
    Disagree. I don't think the article was saying something totally different. But it is interesting how you & I can read the same article & pull different information from it. Maybe I was adding to the article instead of simply agreeing with it? Not sure, I could be wrong.

Most CHOOSE not adhere to healthy principles because it takes committment, patience & "work". This is my experience & psychology doesn't have to research this. I'm sure some where along the line there is plenty of support for self-deprication in all our lives (you mentioned eating your feelings & "hurting" yourself with food), but much like an adict there must 1st be an admission of a problem prior to addressing the solution. & I see less admission of problems & more "take me as I am" attitude. Everyone wants to be healthy & look good but come on, its hard. I see the revolution starting with a real understanding of committment & sacrafice to achieve what you desire.

There are 10 million recognized alcoholics in the US, the highest density of alcoholics reside in Orange County, CA. Orange County, CA also holds title as one of the wealthiest counties in the US. I'm not saying that wealth = addiction, but our country is the wealthiest yet also the 2nd fattest in the world. Its as if we've become so indulgent that we need a fancy title to call things in order to adhere to it. Things need good Marketing around here! A new Pitch! "Primal", "Paleo", "Health & Fitness", "NutriSystem", "Low Carb". They are all just names & titles to organize a new idea & improve the marketing jazz so that we obey & adhere. Of course its dying, the title has run its course. But @ the end of the day, the fundamentals have never changed: vegetables, meat & fruit are good for you & doughnuts are not. I agree with the article, the revolution must "rid" itself of all the gimmicks, lies & distortion.

As I type this message "NutriSystem" commercial comes on & Melissa Joan Hart is telling me I can eat the food that she mails me, AND it also includes some CAKE! ha, really? wow. Only in America is a business thriving that specializes in mailing my food to me & also include a little cake in it. I won't say we're lazy, but entitled & self-indulgant, yes. Its an attitude problem.

When I think of wounded, I think of visits to Haiti, Honduras, & the corners of Puerto Rico. Those people are wounded. I believe our perception of pain & "wound" is relatively soft & jumbled up in emotions & "feelings". Only in our country can we take food & punish ourselves with it Maybe access to the finer things & freedoms has maybe become our biggest crutch? We're spoiled, not hurt.

Good article. As it says, the revolution isn't about information. There's simply a lack of committment to things in this country. Financial savings, marriage, religious values, jobs, code of ethics & of course diet. Irresponsibility is celebrated in this country. Its cool to be "bad" Its the Lindsay Lohan effect. Any news is good new right! @ least they're talking!

Our country has an attitude problem. Truth & hard work has been substituted for instant-gatification.
    Last edited by abc123; 08-19-2013 at 07:10 PM.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    The article has some good points. The health and fitness industry might be dying a little, especially gyms, mostly because of so many folks having downsized their lives in the last five years. But as long as people are looking for a magic pill, or the magic exercise, or the magic combination of food that will "effortlessly" let them lose weight, the health and fitness industry will continue to be fairly robust.
    It's not literal. "Dead" means irrelevant.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    When I think of wounded, I think of visits to Haiti, Honduras, & the corners of Puerto Rico. Those people are wounded. I believe our perception of pain & "wound" is relatively soft & jumbled up in emotions & "feelings". Only in our country can we take food & punish ourselves with it Maybe access to the finer things & freedoms has maybe become our biggest crutch? We're spoiled, not hurt.
    I would say that "spoiled" and "weak" are just different words for "easily hurt/wounded". When life is hard, people become hard and strong, mentally at least, even while they are maybe starving or malnourished. When life is easy, the mind and the body often become weak and the little things hurt more than they should.

So yes, we are spoiled and weak, but denying the hurt and just telling people to grow the ____ up is not going to help fix it.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    And so people cling tenaciously, even desperately to unproductive beliefs.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So yes, we are spoiled and weak, but denying the hurt and just telling people to grow the ____ up is not going to help fix it.
    But honestly, that's what people need to hear about weightloss. People want to be fit. They know for the most part, how to get there. Yet they don't do the work. If you want to look like the lady from the Crossfit picture, you can't eat the cupcake and you have to go work hard. She doesn't eat the cupcake and she works hard. It doesn't much matter why you want the cupcake or why you can't work out hard.

I think the other side issue is that we put WAY too much importance on meeting a physical ideal in this country.

And the whole "cool to be irresponsible" cracks me up, and it is true. But for as much as it is cool to be irresponsible, our ideal body reflects commitment to being extremely disciplined. Either the self control to be very thin or the self discipline to work out very hard. It seems like for how much we enjoy excess, we should like and idealize really fat bodies.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123