Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Health and Fitness Industry Is Dead (And That Includes You, Paleo) page 2

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Only of minor importance, people's psychological failings are extremely hard to pin down and change. So the road to emotional health ( and therefore dietary health) is a very long and arduous one. Also I see another trouble arising from people try to deal with health by dealing with emotions, they end up "fighting" them selfs, wich become a very detrimental thing to do.

The "problem" with paleo to me is (as the article alludes to) an overload of unimportant information. It's the whole "peat vs primal" thing. It's the whole "insulin vs calorific excess" thing. So much information is disseminated that the true (and very easy) path to successful health is often lost in the noise.

Paleo is only a half job Harry, it has quite successfully shifted the paradigms on "what foods to eat and what foods to avoid" to one that emulates our history. It has completely failed at shifting the (I believe more important) paradigm of "how do we eat food". People eat paleo foods the same way as we did before ancestral health popped up on the radar. There has been NO paradigm shift to emulate HOW we have historically (for millions of years) eaten food, only emulation of the foods we may have come across.

As humans vs other animals we have extreme flexibility in WHAT we can eat. Probably the largest food list of the whole animal kingdom. It's "HOW" we eat the foods we do, that we as humans are sensitive to.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I posted this in Odds and Ends but it's probably more appropriate here.

Like many people I originally started a Paleo diet to lose weight, but after much study and refection I've evolved my perspective and now believe too much focus has been placed on body change or weight loss when the real focus should be on getting back in balance and healing the whole person. I've come to realize that my embrace of the Paleo lifestyle has been about seeking optimal health and weight loss has been a byproduct of this journey. For me the Paleo movement is about getting back in touch with our ancestral roots, those things that are the unique pieces of the human puzzle. It is my belief that our approach to what we choose to eat, how we exercise and play and our relationships with people and nature can all benefit from an awareness of our ancestral history and help each of us develop our own unique, more holistic approach, to better health.
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-19-2013 at 03:47 PM.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    He is correct in what is "needed", however nobody has come up with a delivery system acceptable to the masses. I mean we are talking in terms of healing emotional scars and basically fixing peoples BELIEF systems. That is a daunting prospect. And as a trainer/practitioner in anything other than the psychological field you are left again with simply pointing out or referencing good information for the individual to follow up on. Unless you're Paul Check usually people arent hiring you as their spiritual, emotional, and physical practitioner all in one.... and suggesting such a relationship could be met with mixed result. I'm not saying there should not be or is not a place for such a practitioner. There is! But you are back to the 1% or less of people actually searching for such a person. Bah, I'm coming off kinda negative on this. I don't mean to be. The problem is I know the positive changes awaiting for people who will just take the plunge, but so few actually put thought into action.
    Your right, most people are simply not ready to change, they get stuck in contemplation or preparation and never commit to taking action and even when they do they fail to maintain. Hence the 1%. However, I do think embracing a Paleo/Primal lifestyle has increased the odds somewhat.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Very true. Great article.

Yes, this country (US) truly needs a revolution. My country spends more $$ than it makes, divorce is no-biggie, & we're currently the 2nd fattest country on the planet, BUT still the wealthiest. WE ARE SPOILED ROTTEN. The US is like that kid growing up that always got an allowance, but never did his chores AND called his parents "A**HOLES! to their face"

We want what we want, when we want it. We love short cuts, lack patience & about 25 years ago adopted a "Work Smarter, Not Harder" mentality. Committment & patience isn't sexy. The reason that we're fat & "Health & Fitness is dead" is the same reason I have 50 Attorneys for every one engineer/skilled contractor in my phone book. Everyone is looking for the sexy job & shortcut to success (interesting how many stuggling attorneys I know, but my plumber is slammed with work @ $80/hr. Still don't hear anyone interested in becoming a skilled tradesman)

Seems like we're more interested in political correctness & entitlement than truth & sensibility. Simply put, this country has an attitude problem & needs to be spanked.
    Last edited by abc123; 08-19-2013 at 04:06 PM.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Very true. Great article.

Yes, this country (US) truly needs a revolution. My country spends more $$ than it makes, divorce is no-biggie, & we're currently the 2nd fattest country on the planet, BUT still the wealthiest. WE ARE SPOILED ROTTEN. The US is like that kid growing up that always got an allowance, but never did his chores AND called his parents "A**HOLES! to their face"

We want what we want, when we want it. We love short cuts, lack patience & about 25 years ago adopted a "Work Smarter, Not Harder" mentality. Committment & patience isn't sexy. The reason that we're fat & "Health & Fitness is dead" is the same reason I have 50 Attorneys for every one engineer/skilled contractor in my phone book. Everyone is looking for the sexy job & shortcut to success (interesting how many stuggling attorneys I know, but my plumber is slammed with work @ $80/hr. Still don't hear anyone interested in becoming a skilled tradesman)

Seems like we're more interested in political correctness & entitlement than truth & sensibility. Simply put, this country has an attitude problem & needs to be spanked.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the linked article says almost the opposite. We are a nation of wounded, emotionally crippled children, grasping at any pathetic thing that feels like love. Fake food has been engineered to feel good. It's cheap and easy and seems like it ought to fill that dark hole inside. Can you imagine if our culture was as cavalier about heroin as it is about super yummy fake food? And then when people look for something to save them from what they've done to their bodies, they are swamped with equally unsatisfying fake "healthy" foods. If they turn to that and chronic cardio, they will get plenty of support for their endeavor, but if they look elsewhere, they will be nearly alone. I'm not surprised so many people feel hopeless.

My life changed completely when I realized that my bingeing behavior was as much a way to punish myself as it was to comfort myself. It's a hard thing, though, to accept that the way you treat yourself is as vicious and ugly as the meanest thing anybody ever said to you. A diet with a bunch of rules (and I include PB in this) is a lot easier, emotionally, than facing what's inside you. The fact that hardly anybody can fix their relationship with food from the outside is borne out by the abysmal success rate of dieting.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I posted this in Odds and Ends but it's probably more appropriate here.

Like many people I originally started a Paleo diet to lose weight, but after much study and refection I've evolved my perspective and now believe too much focus has been placed on body change or weight loss when the real focus should be on getting back in balance and healing the whole person. I've come to realize that my embrace of the Paleo lifestyle has been about seeking optimal health and weight loss has been a byproduct of this journey. For me the Paleo movement is about getting back in touch with our ancestral roots, those things that are the unique pieces of the human puzzle. It is my belief that our approach to what we choose to eat, how we exercise and play and our relationships with people and nature can all benefit from an awareness of our ancestral history and help each of us develop our own unique, more holistic approach, to better health.
    Not really trying to pick on ya old boy, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. You have left out of your statement above the most important thing we can apply to our modern diet/life that our ancestral history can teach us. How we ate food. We still eat like jenny craig sold to us in the 80's, daily calorie deficits and specific macro worshiping still reign supreme.

If you look at all the different groks all over the world, the types of food they ate varied greatly (from Kitavin's to Inuits). what they all had in common (that we don't) was a great variation in food availability, their calories and macro's varied greatly on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis. We have failed grok by letting calorie restricting, eating specific macro ratio's and eating in "daily" cycles, rule our health. It's impact is massive and everybody has missed it. We emulate everything else grok did, sleeping, sun, exercise, play, food types.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    So many words, so little bacon...
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the linked article says almost the opposite. We are a nation of wounded, emotionally crippled children, grasping at any pathetic thing that feels like love. Fake food has been engineered to feel good. It's cheap and easy and seems like it ought to fill that dark hole inside. Can you imagine if our culture was as cavalier about heroin as it is about super yummy fake food? And then when people look for something to save them from what they've done to their bodies, they are swamped with equally unsatisfying fake "healthy" foods. If they turn to that and chronic cardio, they will get plenty of support for their endeavor, but if they look elsewhere, they will be nearly alone. I'm not surprised so many people feel hopeless.

My life changed completely when I realized that my bingeing behavior was as much a way to punish myself as it was to comfort myself. It's a hard thing, though, to accept that the way you treat yourself is as vicious and ugly as the meanest thing anybody ever said to you. A diet with a bunch of rules (and I include PB in this) is a lot easier, emotionally, than facing what's inside you. The fact that hardly anybody can fix their relationship with food from the outside is borne out by the abysmal success rate of dieting.
    This.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    The "problem" with paleo to me is (as the article alludes to) an overload of unimportant information.
    I agree. Eat whole foods. Get healthy. If you are overweight, eat less of the whole foods.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The article has some good points. The health and fitness industry might be dying a little, especially gyms, mostly because of so many folks having downsized their lives in the last five years. But as long as people are looking for a magic pill, or the magic exercise, or the magic combination of food that will "effortlessly" let them lose weight, the health and fitness industry will continue to be fairly robust.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast