Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo/Primal - Taking a More Holistic Perspective page

canuck416 is online now Senior Member

Paleo/Primal - Taking a More Holistic Perspective

Primal Fuel
    How do you define Paleo or Primal? Like many people I originally started a Paleo diet to lose weight, but after much study and refection I've evolved my perspective and now believe too much focus has been placed on body change or weight loss when the real focus should be on getting back in balance and healing the whole person. I've come to realize that my embrace of the Paleo lifestyle has been about seeking optimal health and weight loss has been a byproduct of this journey. For me the Paleo movement is about getting back in touch with our ancestral roots, those things that are the unique pieces of the human puzzle. It is my belief that our approach to what we choose to eat, how we exercise and play and our relationships with people and nature can all benefit from an awareness of our ancestral history and help each of us develop our own unique, more holistic approach, to better health.
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-19-2013 at 07:29 PM.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I agree wholeheartedly and wanted to start a similar thread today. I am still Primal as defined by the fact that I eat only food that is listed on the primal foods shopping list (and I also eat beans once in a while) but I don't really feel Primal or Paleo. I don't consume mass quantities of meat any longer. Except for your steak and eggs challenge, which was a blast, by the way ;-) I don't live in the gym anymore. I don't care for bacon. I eat mainly fish and seafood and vegetables and fruit now.

Since that s&e challenge, I've been exploring herbs and adaptogens and a more ayurvedic, holistic approach to well-being. I wake up in the morning and drink a tissane of infused herbs and spices, and either do yoga (badly), or go for a walk. Lunch is usually fruit and yogurt or sauteed veggies. Dinner is some kind of seafood (we catch our own) and sauteed veggies, and maybe rice or potatoes if I'm hungry. I drink tissanes all day, and spend a few minutes every day researching ayurvedic remedies and beauty treatments ( yeah I'm still pretty vain ;-) I feel very calm and grounded now, and just...healthy. And happy.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    I feel very calm and grounded now, and just...healthy. And happy.
    Beautifully said! IMO trial, error, distilling and evolving our own unique approach to what works for us is what it's all about.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I am inclined to agree.

M.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Very heavy books have been written about what motivates us, it's seldom simple.

Sexual viability might be one elephant in the room. Most of us agree that certain torso contours signal a healthy mate, but we also agree that acknowledging it is shallow even though broadcasting one's health status dominates the behavior of virtually every animal (sometimes elaborately). So we end up with this perceived conflict: "am I doing this for health or vanity?" yet in nature it's unclear where to draw the line dividing the two.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

peril is offline Senior Member
    A pity this thread has had little response

The ten primal laws are all about health. Anyone coming here just to lose weight and missing the message that excess weight is the result of ill health is doomed. If one focuses on correcting health issues then there is a much greater chance of succeeding in weight loss and subsequent maintenance

I came here with a significant health issue and a desire to be free of drugs. I happened to lose weight and keep it off despite that not being a goal. The effect on my health has been very positive, but the effect on my CVD is less certain
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I've eaten about 75% primal most of my life without realizing what it's called. When my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I started doing more research on the connection between disease and nutrition, and found Paleo/Primal. My only goal was, and continues to be, health: live long and drop dead! I haven't lost weight, but I didn't need to, although I've probably done some body recomp in the three years I've done Crossfit. I'm now about 95% Primal without any effort.

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    A pity this thread has had little response

The ten primal laws are all about health. Anyone coming here just to lose weight and missing the message that excess weight is the result of ill health is doomed. If one focuses on correcting health issues then there is a much greater chance of succeeding in weight loss and subsequent maintenance

I came here with a significant health issue and a desire to be free of drugs. I happened to lose weight and keep it off despite that not being a goal. The effect on my health has been very positive, but the effect on my CVD is less certain
    Thank you, well said. Glad to hear your health is improved.

Sorry to hear about your uncertainty in the Paleo/Primal approach regarding CVD. Have you noticed any changes, positive or negative?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I've eaten about 75% primal most of my life without realizing what it's called. When my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I started doing more research on the connection between disease and nutrition, and found Paleo/Primal. My only goal was, and continues to be, health: live long and drop dead! I haven't lost weight, but I didn't need to, although I've probably done some body recomp in the three years I've done Crossfit. I'm now about 95% Primal without any effort.
    "Live long and drop dead" - exactly, I'd like to go while on a long walk, doing intervals or setting a record for 95 year olds in the squat. I tell people in the gym that I'm in training for my 90s.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Thank you, well said. Glad to hear your health is improved.

Sorry to hear about your uncertainty in the Paleo/Primal approach regarding CVD. Have you noticed any changes, positive or negative?
    Thanks.

Re the CVD, the problem is it is hard to get any clear assessment of it. The diagnostics are one or more of invasive, have radiation risk or indicate general fitness with less specific information. The good news is that a recent stress echocardiogram indicated that I have superior fitness for my age, based on VO2Max, and that my heart is functioning well save for a small amount of scarring from the MI. No decline in the last two years
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast