Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paleo/Primal - Taking a More Holistic Perspective page 2

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Just popping in to say I love reading this from all the posters in this thread. It really is about more than diet. I've been writing far too much on here today so I'll just say "I agree" and leave it at that.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I kind of tripped over Primal when I was doing some googling on pink slime and negative effects of soy.

I read the beginning stuff and it just seemed sane. Animals and veggies for food. Move, but don't kill yourself doing it. Get some sleep and sun. Don't ingest toxins. Lift stuff. Play, think, and don't hurt yourself. I thought I was eating fairly healthfully, but there were plenty of tweaks to be made because I'd been relying on low calorie fake foods for condiments and cooking fats.

The lower carb aspect made sense because that's kind of the way I like to eat naturally (with a couple of glaring exceptions like the occasional po'boy).

I had a doctor once that just in passing said to me, "Be your own parent." And Primal is kind of that for me. It took a lot of things I knew and some new stuff, and put it all in a nice little list.

Not sure if I'm expressing it well, but it's kind of like if you spend the day reading through piles of crap, and suddenly something doesn't make you shake your head with its doublespeak.

I'm not a hundred percenter but I feel good about the way I eat and move and don't think I'm doing anything really overt to damage my health. However, it hasn't turned me from a curmudgeon to a cheerleader. I'm still a bitch.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    peril, I see from your sig that you've incorporated turmeric into your woe. How do you use it? I put it in my tissanes and cook veggies with it....turmeric and ghee. I love how it makes me feel. It takes all of the stiffness out of my joints.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I had a doctor once that just in passing said to me, "Be your own parent."
    Such great advice! When I talk to people about the diet that made it possible for me to lose 75lbs with hardly a struggle, I always tell them, "I'm smart enough to make my own rules." Primal is pretty darn close to my rules. Over time my rules have evolved to get closer and closer to something like ancestral.

I'm not really an exerciser, but I have become very attached to my yoga classes. Two instructors, in particular, touch something in me that is really "primal". And I think they're vegetarian, lol.

We buy 90% of our meat and 50% of our fruits and veggies from local farms. That's great in terms of food quality, but it's also extremely satisfying on an emotional level. We hear stories about the chickens whose eggs we're eating and the cow whose brisket we're smoking. My DD was a little freaked out about it at first, but now finds it unsettling to eat anonymous meat from Costco or Whole Foods.

I expect that over time we will get more and more holistic in our approach to what we do. It's addictive.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    peril, I see from your sig that you've incorporated turmeric into your woe. How do you use it? I put it in my tissanes and cook veggies with it....turmeric and ghee. I love how it makes me feel. It takes all of the stiffness out of my joints.
    Curries
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Very heavy books have been written about what motivates us, it's seldom simple.

Sexual viability might be one elephant in the room. Most of us agree that certain torso contours signal a healthy mate, but we also agree that acknowledging it is shallow even though broadcasting one's health status dominates the behavior of virtually every animal (sometimes elaborately). So we end up with this perceived conflict: "am I doing this for health or vanity?" yet in nature it's unclear where to draw the line dividing the two.
    Health is a physical concept, vanity is a moral concept. You can't compare apples and oranges.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I expect that over time we will get more and more holistic in our approach to what we do. It's addictive.
    Yes, when I started this last year I never imagined that by now I would be raving about homekill meat, traipsing round the countryside to collect raw milk and making yoghurt out of it, let alone walking instead of driving and avoiding canola oil like the plague. It's a fun addition though with mostly positive effects

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful and insightful comments, they have prompted some additional thoughts and insights. Since adopting the Paleo/Primal lifestyle I've dramatically increased my support of local farms (organic when possible), become interested in gardening and composting, provided support for community gardening and developed an increased overall awareness of our interconnection with nature. I've taken time to visit some of our local organic farmers, learning how they work the land and how amazingly tuned in they are to their animals. Physically I've embraced a very diversified approach to fitness combining strength, cardio and yoga and periodized my training and diet macros throughout the year and added intermittent fasting. I've also added meditation to the mix and I am focusing on being more mindful. Mindfulness changes the lenses of our worldview. Increasing our focus on doing even mundane activities tends to open whole new worlds of spiritual perception. My suggestion is to not go on auto-pilot, just going through the motions without really being them. It is a shame to have no spiritual liaison with your workout or diet, I think this is why most people quit on fitness programs. No one is teaching people how to draw spiritual depth and emotional rewards for their efforts. My Paleo journey has evolved from a way to lose a few pounds to a search for true physical and emotional well-being.
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-20-2013 at 08:38 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    My suggestion is to not go on auto-pilot, just going through the motions without really being them. It is a shame to have no spiritual liaison with your workout or diet, I think this is why most people quit on fitness programs. No one is teaching people how to draw spiritual depth and emotional rewards for their efforts. My Paleo journey has evolved from a way to lose a few pounds to a search for true physical and emotional well-being.
    This is great!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mindfulness changes the lenses of our worldview.
    I love this. When do you meditate? I like to do it before bedtime.

I've been watching a show called Yogi Cameron on Veria TV. You can watch all of the episodes here, by signing up for a free trial. You only have to give them an email address, which they don't seem to use for any reason. The show is what got me started on ayurveda, meditation and yoga, and just being more calm and peaceful by drinking herbal tissanes, and using oils for massage, healing, and digestion. Homeopathy, aromatherapy...many good things that have been becoming a part of my life. He is a vegetarian, although everything he does eat is primal. Admittedly his show is sort of Ayurveda for Dummies, but it is a really wonderful place to start.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast