Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelvic/Hip muscle/architecture question page

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member

Pelvic/Hip muscle/architecture question

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Or really, scenario. I don't know if maybe I am way off base here or what is up, but, a question of anatomy I suppose.

So maybe 7 weeks or so ago, I was doing the Hip Abductor machine (is that what it's called when you squeeze your legs in, as opposed to opening them?)

I felt a weird pop/groin pull kind of stretching tension, and a sensation like a chord of tissue was strummed like a bow-string. It was unpleasant, and panic-inducing for a brief second, and hurt after the fact.

Didn't think anything of it because the pain subsided by the end of the set, and there was no limiting of my range of motion or anything.

So since then, I was kind of not interested in sex. Things that would normally trigger the boner response just didn't- there was a noticeable lack of the feeling that I call "the plunge" or "the descent," where you feel your heart and stomach just kinda bottom into your balls, and then they get all warm and tingly. That just wasn't happening.

I thought I was depressed, thought I must just be burned out of getting the same signals from the wife for so long, all kinds of suspicions about where that feeling went off to and why.

Then last week, I'm doing the same exercise, and I felt a similar feeling, except, when the bow-string strumming feeling occured, there was a popping sensation/internal sound impression, followed by a flood of relief, like some constant source of pressure was lifted and removed. Just standing up after that set, my whole situation felt different and warm and normal again- I didn't even connect the weeks of sexual dysfunction with that exercise injury until that set, when things seemed to click back into place and realign. But as soon as i stood up I felt like, "ah-ha! I am returned!"

And was in fact- all's well again.

So what the hell was that about?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    The possibilities are numerous in that area, and anatomy and joint/nerve function is kinda my thing, but now that you are back to normal I might not use that machine anymore . You could speculate on nerve entrapment theory and some anatomical variant or previous injured soft tissue that puts you in a subset of the population that makes you more susceptible. But yeah, bunch of speculation....

I don't know if it's relevant, but it was my left side, and my left leg is not right or something. When I sit with my legs stretched straight out in front of me, my left foot points about 45 degrees leftward, instead up straight and up. Certain stretches too I just can't do, no flexibility with that hip. I don't know what might have done it- been that way as long as I can remember.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

DavaCastillo is offline Junior Member
    Hello Mr. Perfidy,

I am new here, but I know a little of what you speak. In yoga, we do what is called "hip openers," and these are quite gentle and honestly it takes a very long time for these muscles to flex the way you want. Sometimes as long as a year or more. I have osteoarthritis, so for me even longer. Unfortunately I have had a detour from exercise the last few months, but joined here to regain some motivation. You might want to try some beginning yoga to increase flexibility.

haha if it's free and on a bus route

Quote Originally Posted by DavaCastillo View Post
    Hello Mr. Perfidy,

I am new here, but I know a little of what you speak. In yoga, we do what is called "hip openers," and these are quite gentle and honestly it takes a very long time for these muscles to flex the way you want. Sometimes as long as a year or more. I have osteoarthritis, so for me even longer. Unfortunately I have had a detour from exercise the last few months, but joined here to regain some motivation. You might want to try some beginning yoga to increase flexibility.
    one problem that I have in pursuing any kind of yoga is that when I search for it, there are 2039 kinds with esoteric sounding mystical bullshit, and I don't know where to start. I will just youtube search "Yoga hip-openers." Thanks a lot

DavaCastillo is offline Junior Member
    Mr Perfidy,

Please allow me to suggest "Candlelight Yoga" by Sara Ivanhoe. Her beginner dvd is how I started, and she is a forgiving teacher and eases beginners into yoga. She is far from esoteric, and her dvd shows people at different stages of ability. She was a teacher at Wanderlust last year, but I missed her class because I was volunteering in order to save money. But in my opinion she is one of the best for a beginner. : )

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    In my experience, a foot turning outwards is a result of my hips being crooked. I'm sure certain kinds of exercises would help, especially yoga, since that helps loosen & stretch things and then reinforces those changes with gentle strength exercises. My chiropractor adjusts my hips every time I'm there and it never stays straight for long. When it is straight, my right food actually goes straight (or matching the left, anyway) when I'm walking and it feels really strange because I'm not used to it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Look up the muscles responsible for external rotation, tfl, glutes? Are any of these tight, or have trigger points in them? The machine you mentioned was for ADDUCTION, not AB , sound like you have either very tight muscles on the abduction /outer side of that leg, or you've really strained/stretched/injured something on the inner thigh (adductor)

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Also, stay off the good girl/bad girl machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast